IMHO at this point I think C&C has reached a unique stage of evolution where it has become a "by fans for fans" game and community. Seeing how the modding community spanning across the 17 or so titles is still holding strong is a testament to this. There are still high profile mods in active development for titles as old as Tiberian Sun and fan made multiplayer maps still being made for games as old as C&C95 and Red Alert 1. I think EA doesn't know what to do about it or how they can proceed with a new quality game to capitalize on the longevity and popularity of previous titles with the fans. But I do think the series got milked out too much as they pumped out sequels way too quickly and the quality issues of the last three or so titles really shows. (including some aspects of the canceled Generals 2/F2P) Then butchering the core gameplay mechanics was the final nail in the coffin. (Looking at you, C&C4)

This might be the beginning of something new, a future RTS in Unreal Engine 4......finally!

• Upvote 2

I'm tired of clinging onto the past. Time for a new RTS.

Welcome to the other side.

The sooner C&C fans realize that, the quicker they will find/ make new horizons.

I crossed this threshold back in 2011.

Who has the courage to join us?

To leave nostalgia at the door?

To bravely go where few C&C fans have dared to go, The Future.

IMHO at this point I think C&C has reached a unique stage of evolution where it has become a "by fans for fans" game and community.

Yes indeed, yes indeed.

The sooner yall realize EA will likely not do the franchise justice, the sooner we the community can get to work.

One day, we may have one vision with one purpose.

And all of EA's strength in efficiency with market trends and # crunching will be powerless to stop us.

Edited by GeneralJist

To bravely go where few C&C fans have dared to go, The Future.

What future? Do you mean modding and community maps? Because that's what is happening now. Unless you mean make some sort of standalone title like Renegade X.

And man you could have made that sound like Star Trek.

To leave nostalgia at the door?

Been there done that. Tired of waiting. Moved on to other games. Barely play the game.

The sooner yall realize EA will likely not do the franchise justice, the sooner we the community can get to work.

We the community can get to work on what? Something like what totem arts did?

And all of EA's strength in efficiency with market trends and # crunching will be powerless to stop us.

What do you mean? EA's a big company.

Edited by CyberFaction

Ya,

I'm essentially saying to do it through modding, we got the talent, we got the passion, we got the time. It just requires us to all pull together into a singular project, ya, something like Renegade X...but an RTS.

My Reference at the end was to GDI's saying of strength in efficiency, and how our passion is way more effective than what EA's been doing.

The Next C&C: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the C&C hardcore community. Our continuing mission: to create strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new horizons, to boldly go where no fan base has dared go before. The Future.

Edited by GeneralJist
  • Upvote 1

Looking forward to Tiberian Eclipse... oh wait,

I'm essentially saying to do it through modding, we got the talent, we got the passion, we got the time. It just requires us to all pull together into a singular project, ya, something like Renegade X...but an RTS.

Would it be possible to make it standalone or something like it needs the game to work but runs on its own client? Like the adventurecraft mod for minecraft. Like say it needs C&C3 but you download the client from the web and install it and uses the game files or it changes the normal client with its own ui and stuff when you launch the game from the mods launcher and when you use the regular launcher it's completely normal. You know if you can't do it standalone.

The Next C&C: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the C&C hardcore community. Our continuing mission: to create strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new horizons, to boldly go where no fan base has dared go before. The Future.

Perfect man just....Perfect :)

This is the kind of message I like.

Looking forward to Tiberian Eclipse... oh wait,

Self promotion triggered:

As the only member of that team that is still active in the C&C community, the goal of that was to fix TT's story...

TE failed since it was fueled by hate. (And no one really new how to make a game then, me included.)

Well, here you go,after years of waiting, the fixed cannon:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/tiberium-secrets/features/tiberium-secrets-narrative-trailer-released-coming-2017

@Cyberfaction,

Well, maybe...

Honestly, I'm not sure, but seems worth exploring...

Congratulations! You've been volintold to go figure it out.

Edited by GeneralJist

@Cyberfaction,

Well, maybe...

Honestly, I'm not sure, but seems worth exploring...

Congratulations! You've been volintold to go figure it out.

Wait..what! maybe when I have the time Im not a mod dev and i hve study to do.

if anyone knows the answer feel free to tell.

(And no one really new how to make a game then, me included.)

That's what everyone told you, but you didn't want to listen.

As nice as I like the idea of the community making the new installments to the various C&C universes it runs into a lot of problems. Most obviously the problem that any project at any time can get hit with a cease and desist.

Further more even if the C&D doesn't come in the logistical problems tend to kill teams more then anything from my experience. Lack of either proper leadership or any kind of leadership hierarchy, the reliance on members to do the work asked that will obviously take up personal time, the inability to make any form of external funding, and most commonly internal conflicts that are never resolved properly.

Unless we as a community can establish our own kind of structure to confront all of these issues to complete projects, approve which projects become "community approved canon" ect we're going to be stuck in this loop of always arguing among one another.

That's my 2 cents at least.

Edited by Troopzor

My 2 cents: study computer science, work for a studio that makes strategy games, and be waiting in position for the next CnC ;)

I've lowered my expectations. I play RTS but not necessarily the base building then attacking type of RTS. If we want another CnC type game, then we're going to be waiting for years. That's just too bad huh. Speculation is the only fun we'll have in the meanwhile. I only mean my first comment 1/4 seriously, forums like this do make me think about what my programming objectives are and also what games I'd like to support.

I play RTS but not necessarily the base building then attacking type of RTS.

Umm... so not an RTS?

I suppose things like Tropico 3, 4, 5 and Sim City you'd call "simulation" but it's still strategy in my book. It's just more focused on buildings than units. In Tropico you command squads to explore the fog and when the enemy attacks you, you choose what the priority is when your soldiers and tanks respond. It's a bit crappy I admit but hopefully in the next game the player will have more control when deploying forces.

They're not strategy games, they're management/tycoon games.

My 2 cents: study computer science, work for a studio that makes strategy games, and be waiting in position for the next CnC ;)

Way ahead of you on that buddy, I graduate in June :D. And I plan on going into the industry and working my ass off. I have no qualms about working for EA if it means I can work on a C&C game.

And actually, after I posted my above comment I really got to thinking about what I said concerning organization. The fact that our community has lasted this long with little to no news about a new C&C, or any kind of official word from EA, is a feat in and of itself. I'm truly proud to be a member of this community honestly because of that fact alone. I'd love to look into a way to turn this community into a more cohesive force to pursue the future of the franchise on our own without needing help from EA. With that said however I also know that if such an organization takes place and EA wish's to reach out and try again we should not respond to that with negativity and work to help the new dev team(s). I've watched time and again how toxic/suspicious we can get towards EA when they announce a new C&C (understandably so of course) however it doesn't help us at all in the short or long run.

I hope that made sense, I felt like I rambled a little bit.

I also know that if such an organization takes place and EA wish's to reach out and try again we should not respond to that with negativity and work to help the new dev team(s). I've watched time and again how toxic/suspicious we can get towards EA when they announce a new C&C (understandably so of course) however it doesn't help us at all in the short or long run.

That will depend on two things:

• whether or not EA would just force them to make it a rushed and bland cash-cow quasi-game like almost everything they've spat out in the last nine years, because corporate ****s love sucking up to their investors who couldn't care less about gaming
  • whether or not the developers are even competent.

If, and only if, ( <=>, if you will) both of these terms are met, would I welcome and recommend welcoming a new C&C game. Until that happens, "I fear the Danaans, even when they bear gifts".

The next C&C absolutely needs to mimic the original and best C&C titles - it has to be fast & furious like RA2.

Fast is good but I hope they can make larger maps too. Tiberian Sun's large maps could contain very zig-zaggy paths and often dead ends. In Generals and CnC3 the maps feature many open areas; when hills and civilian structures are added, it's suddenly cramped and finding a location to place a structure is slightly obnoxious. When playing CnC3 last year I often found myself spinning around structures trying to get them to fit into the surroundings.

That's what everyone told you, but you didn't want to listen.

I know, everyone needs to learn it on their own sometimes.

Our failure was us learning the hard way.

If I had listened to you then, ~6-7 years ago, (and just stopped) I would not be on the path I am now, interviewing for AAA production roles.

Epic failure made those lessons all the more impactful.

The key take way being, if I had known then, just how much traction and how much of the community was actually invested in us, I would not have squandered such authority, and I would have held myself to a higher standard, as I do now.

I ****ed up as PR manager & Co-lead, I fully admit that. I was not ready for that responsibility in that time of my life.

...Unless we as a community can establish our own kind of structure to confront all of these issues to complete projects, approve which projects become "community approved canon" ect we're going to be stuck in this loop of always arguing among one another.

Indeed.

That is the core issue.

Particularly evidenced by what happened when Mark Skaggs tried to spin up something in our community.

Despite the obvious issue that we hit with him over vision of what we were doing, most of us had personnel conflicts with others in the community, me included.

We need to figure a way to set those things aside,and actually develop a structure, complete with a chain of command.

We need to develop these 5 aspects,

Vision> Purpose> Structure> Passion> Community

We got the last 2 down, now we just need to work backwards.

That is the model of successful organizations that I developed after 3 years of participant research for a 150+ member gaming guild. which I'm working on getting published in a journal.

This model should work for in person or remote management, regardless.

Edited by GeneralJist

I know, everyone needs to learn it on their own sometimes.

Our failure was us learning the hard way.

If I had listened to you then, ~6-7 years ago, (and just stopped) I would not be on the path I am now, interviewing for AAA production roles.

Epic failure made those lessons all the more impactful.

The key take way being, if I had known then, just how much traction and how much of the community was actually invested in us, I would not have squandered such authority, and I would have held myself to a higher standard, as I do now.

I ****ed up as PR manager & Co-lead, I fully admit that. I was not ready for that responsibility in that time of my life.

Indeed.

That is the core issue.

Particularly evidenced by what happened when Mark Skaggs tried to spin up something in our community.

Despite the obvious issue that we hit with him over vision of what we were doing, most of us had personnel conflicts with others in the community, me included.

We need to figure a way to set those things aside,and actually develop a structure, complete with a chain of command.

We need to develop these 5 aspects,

Vision> Purpose> Structure> Passion> Community

We got the last 2 down, now we just need to work backwards.

That is the model of successful organizations that I developed after 3 years of participant research for a 150+ member gaming guild. which I'm working on getting published in a journal.

This model should work for in person or remote management, regardless.

That's awesome to hear about getting some producer interviews, I'd personally love to hear about that (But this isn't the thread for such discussion)

I agree that we have community and passion in droves, in fact I feel that the passion in those still with the community has multiplied with the recent lack of information. First things first however if we were going to continue this how would we decide the Structure? I guess primarily who calls the shots? Or would it be more of democratic system of votes? A mixture of the two? To say there would be a lot to do would be an understatement lol

in fact I feel that the passion in those still with the community has multiplied with the recent lack of information.

I noticed the exact opposite.

• Upvote 1

I hope Halo Wars 2 Reboots the RTS industry and helps inspire EA to bring back the best RTS saga of all time. One can dream can't he? Lol

I hope someone creates something in Unreal or Unity and steals EA's customers.