I hope someone creates something in Unreal or Unity and steals EA's customers.

Because engines are what make the games, amirite guys?

You need a good team too, graphics people and animators are handy when making a proper game ;)

Except they are completely irrelevant to the game's quality?

I might say they are irrelevant to the game's "funness", but a major factor in its "quality".

Well,

Before we know what we want to do, we need to assess our personnel and resources.

Democracy only works when people are relatively equal, and despite my general agreement that people are equal in human worth, that is not the case when it comes to competence.

We need to determine everyone's qualifications, availability, time zone, and connections.

seniority goes to whom ever is more qualified in the respective field(s).

Think all C&C community staff & C&C modders get an extra bump in seniority, as well as anyone who actually has skills and experience in organization and product development.

We also need to decide, what our general goal is:

A. is it to make an organization to approve community works?

B. Is it to develop community works to the aim of a game/ mod?

C. Is it to act as a unifying beacon for what's left of the C&C community?

Multiple?

We need to do something equivalent to market research, to determine and catalog existing remaining active C&C related ventures.

Is something like this even worth the effort at this time, in relation to expected results?

People will need to step up, and say yes, I will be responsible for something,then actually do it.

We can't afford another waffling, like what happened when Nod soldier Girl (NSG) and I tried to get Community Battlecast prime time going for the 1st time.

All talk, but when it came time for action, 99% of the people flaked, and left her holding the rains, after "democratically" voting me out, due to a minor- medium PR issue.

Edited by GeneralJist

If I had listened to you then, ~6-7 years ago, (and just stopped) I would not be on the path I am now, interviewing for AAA production roles.

What's this now?

Well,

Before we know what we want to do, we need to assess our personnel and resources.

Democracy only works when people are relatively equal, and despite my general agreement that people are equal in human worth, that is not the case when it comes to competence.

We need to determine everyone's qualifications, availability, time zone, and connections.

seniority goes to whom ever is more qualified in the respective field(s).

Think all C&C community staff & C&C modders get an extra bump in seniority, as well as anyone who actually has skills and experience in organization and product development.

All talk, but when it came time for action, 99% of the people flaked, and left her holding the rains, after "democratically" voting me out, due to a minor- medium PR issue.

So are you actually going to get this together now or is this hypothetical? And try to do something before?

We can't afford another waffling, like what happened when Nod soldier Girl (NSG) and I tried to get Community Battlecast prime time going for the 1st time.

Who?

1. That was in reference to Lauren

2. Sigh,

Why do I always need to be the one who spins things up? Always...

Well, it looks like from the general lack of response, no. no one cares enough to step up.

I was trying to avoid it, but the main way I'd do anything, would be in the service of my project, I was going to try and keep it separate, but seems there just isn't enough juice left to do so.

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/CNCCBCPT

Edited by GeneralJist

Expecting people in this community to step up is only worth it when it's about saying it cannot be done or raking in the laurels of the work of others.

There's a reason that people like me who really have done something just don't care anymore. And yes you're part of the problem, you basically had nothing to show but people followed you in flocks.

Ummm,

I've been managing C&C projects for like 6-7 years now...

Have you ever even look at the project link in my signature?

All talk and no action doesn't get the kind of traction we've had.

Hell, me and my co-lead just came back from GDC 2017, we were fully sponsored by Gamedev.net, who gave us tickets each worth ~2K a pop.

Directionless fluff doesn't get that....

Expect the C&C climate/ community to change very soon, there's a storm brewing.

Just wait, and see, I guarantee there is something on the foreseeable horizon for C&C.

That's all I can say...

As a dedicated community modder, who essentially community mod support, you are entitled to closed testing for hte lifetime of our project, just like all other former, and current C&C community staff members.

Regardless of what you think of me or our work. thank you for your continued service to the C&C community.

I salute you.

PS. Unless your just referring to tib eclipse, well, I apparently was never formally acknowledged as leadership there, so...meh, but that had to fail for my current project to succeed, it had it's place.

Edited by GeneralJist

Expect the C&C climate/ community to change very soon, there's a storm brewing.

Just wait, and see, I gareintee there is something on th forseable horizon for C&C.

That's all I can say...

So is this from you....or from someone else.

Both.

@ Lauren,

you obviously care to some degree, or else you won't have been helping modders her for so long.

Hell, me and my co-lead just came back from GDC 2017, we were fully sponsored by Gamedev.net, who gave us tickets each worth ~2K a pop.

What did you discuss with them (the former and current EA guys)? I would like to know.

Well,

I personally didn't talk to anyone at EA.

My co-founder, however, did talk to one of the guys who worked on one of the canceled C&C mobile games.

He said the guy was very excited about our work.

We made a policy not to go to the EA booth, since we really had nothing to say to EA directly.

They had their chance, hell, I applied to them so many times, through so many different channels, and they didn't want me.

Same for Blizzard.

But never the less, them, Riot, and all know who we are now, I guarantee you all that.

My co-founder thinks EA is trying to figure out what to do with us as we speak. Ever since the conference.

We've had people ask us about IP rights and such, and EULA issues,and we have solid responses for all.

Furthermore, the contract that I paid for, is base off an EA contract, so it's covered.

EA is indeed in quite a pickle with us.

On one end, if they do nothing, we make them money.

If they try to CDC us, it will fail, and they will lose money and even more respect from others in the industry.

We basically told/ showed all their competitors that we no what to do with C&C, and how to do it, and have it be fueled by passion. Telling them all that we can and will do the job they should have been doing from the beginning.

They are the giant with all the money and reach in the world, and we are some how beating them. And everyone knows it.

As for what secrets us and Lou castle discussed over lunch, I've already said what I can.

Edited by GeneralJist

You at least still suck at your art direction. All objects you ever show on ModDB are unrecognizable black blobs with random light spots.

• Upvote 1

I'll pass that along to Fandore, our creative and Art director.

Expect a PM from him in a bit so that you 2 can discuss these perceived issues in detail.

We highly value your experience in these maters.

Edited by GeneralJist

Guest Rabbit

This reminds me of the days back when I was a little girl striving for attention.

And if I can politely say, GeneralJist, please, save your breath. Congratulations, you're working on a mod. Congratulations, you took a trip to some game convention. Have anything else to brag about? Because frankly, that's all you've been doing. All you ever do is post updates to your mod. Your mod that hasn't been released. Your mod that has no proof of concept other than some screenshots on your moddb page, some animated videos, whatever. That's not my point, I'm sure it's a good mod.

My point is though is that you talk a huge game, almost like you're trying to prove that you are special, rather than the work you do. Just a few of your little quips.

I've been managing C&C projects for like 6-7 years now...

If I had listened to you then, ~6-7 years ago, (and just stopped) I would not be on the path I am now, interviewing for AAA production roles.

It's one thing to be excited about your work, about your mod, I get that. But you're going beyond that. You're going out as if you have something to prove about yourself, not your work. Like you want to be known. Don't get me wrong, that's a good way to have some self confidence, but you're being plain arrogant. Dangling inside knowledge that you can't talk about, saying **** like "As for what secrets us and Lou castle discussed over lunch, I've already said what I can," that's just showboating, plain and simple. Same with the whole "Tip of the hat from the head of Moddb" you posted in the community news section. Good for you, you got a pat on the back.

But then you say:

We made a policy not to go to the EA booth, since we really had nothing to say to EA directly.

They had their chance, hell, I applied to them so many times, through so many different channels, and they didn't want me.

Same for Blizzard.

Sour grapes man, sour grapes.

Is something on C&C's horizon? Sure, maybe, who knows. But I sincerely doubt that you made all of the developers at Gamedev feel as moved and touched as you think. I'm sure you got to show off your work and be excited and all that, hell, it might even get you a job (doubtful, but maybe I'm just a horse's ass), but there is no way in hell that anyone there is thinking "This guy knows C&C. He could change the entire franchise."

It's doubtful that EA even gives a **** about your project either. Not in the "this project sucks" manner but in the "should we send a cease and decist?" Again, you're just pandering. I really doubt their focus is on a mod that doesn't even have a release date yet.

All in all, stop acting like you're some godsend that is the future of C&C. Just make a mod, and make it look nice, and make it fun to play, because so far, you talk a big game when the only thing you have to show for yourself is screenshots and video clips on a moddb page.

Ok, I got an ego... you got me.

Ok, I'm overly passionate, you got me.

Ok, we haven't released, and I'm coming on a bit strong.

Ok, pointing out that me and my creative and art director have been continuously dedicated for for 6+ years, through countless ,and and minor setbacks (including a historic natural disaster er, is a bad thing because?)

So sharing success of making our community and franchise more well-known after years of silence is somehow bad in your eyes?

Well, of course I can't tell everyone on a public forum the details of a private meeting with a high executive.

I'm sorry if it seems like just empty talk, I just know where we are in development, and I'm just excited.

We will have a Closed alpha out in 2-4 months.

Ya, I need to be a bit humbler through text (I'm a very hummble person if we actually have a voice convo), but there are countless things going on behind the scenes that the community never sees, and I am either doing, or aware of those things.

Don't discount written works, we're doing a lot with the lore, that isn't released yet. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else do PR updates in the form of a story, which is not just news/ intel report format.

Another one of the reasons is, we are one of the few C&C mods that are still actually active, and making updates.

I don't think you understand what GDC is...in not PAX, it's not just any conference, nor convention, it's The professional convention for for all the higher ups in the games industry.

The only reason why I primarily post about my project, is well there is not much else to discuss about the general community.....

A bit ago, Skaggs tried something with this community, and a lot of people came out of the woodwork, because they wanted a beacon for the C&C community, that s all I'm really trying to do. That's all I want.

And I'm actively trying to do that. If you don't want to come, *shrug* that's your decision.

But as a Community staff member, you are invited, and given closed testing for the lifetime of our project.

We’re all on the same side here, we all want C&C to be the best it can be.

I'm just a conduit.

*beacon placed*

PS.

I thought you were a guy.....

Edited by GeneralJist

PS.

I thought you were a guy.....

Yeah, read his profile *heh heh heh!*

-> Did you not watch that Simpsons episode where Judge Judy says to Bart: "ah you're just like me when I was a little boy" :D

The sarcastic and humourless rubbish that people post on this forum keeps me here. Plus Plokite_Wolf downvoting my posts because he has no sense of humour! :laugh:

I'll agree with Zee Hypnotist on the cease-and-desist problem but everything else Zee Hypnotist said is dull in my view. I sometimes see GeneralJist's posts on Game Dev so at least he has a portfolio and at least he's more-or-less in the business. What do you expect from someone who makes mods? There's no guarantee if (or when) something will be released. People work for free, give them a break. GeneralJist is the same age as me. I think we should give him at least another 10 years to come up with something. In real life I'm usually rude, obnoxious and abrupt as often as possible --I can't stand people who're superficially polite-- or people who talk slowly, so I can't really talk ... but ... Zee Hypnotist and Lauren are being big bad meanies in this thread :P

GeneralJist, perhaps you should enrol in a game development college and become a genius who makes The Next Big Thing, instead of working on mods and then coming here and being criticised because supposedly you haven't worked hard enough :unsure:

• Downvote 2

@GeneralJist - your lore and development time are not the problem, it's more like the way you're presenting yourselves to the world that is. You are not a gaming company, yet you seek help by phrasing posts as if you're opening real job positions. You're talking to EA staff, current and former, by presenting a mod that isn't even out yet, and take their word that something will come seriously (hey, did you know that they've been "looking for alternatives" for C&C2013 for three and a half years now? Did you also know they've been "looking for alternatives" for closed GameSpy servers for their games for nearly three years now?). What are you trying to achieve by this way of operation?

Take, for example, the Mental Omega and Twisted Insurrection teams (there are many others like them, but, again, it's an example). Sure, they try to send a bit of hype (on a healthy level), but not only do they deliver mods that live up to that hype, they always keep their fans in the loop on all the important features their mods will have, and let their own work speak for them in all other aspects. They do not need any affirmation from EA, their fans are much more important and, ultimately, much more responsive. It wasn't until after they became well-respected by their communities that they got some nods from ex-devs (such as Klepacki's remixes of TI music tracks made exclusively for the mod). They chose their priorities, and that's why they're successful. Take a few lessons from them if you want to join them.

• Upvote 1

Guest Rabbit
On 3/21/2017 at 0:57 AM, jeffnz said:

I'll agree with Zee Hypnotist on the cease-and-desist problem but everything else Zee Hypnotist said is dull in my view. I sometimes see GeneralJist's posts on Game Dev so at least he has a portfolio and at least he's more-or-less in the business. What do you expect from someone who makes mods? There's no guarantee if (or when) something will be released. People work for free, give them a break. GeneralJist is the same age as me. I think we should give him at least another 10 years to come up with something. In real life I'm usually rude, obnoxious and abrupt as often as possible --I can't stand people who're superficially polite-- or people who talk slowly, so I can't really talk ... but ... Zee Hypnotist and Lauren are being big bad meanies in this thread :P

GeneralJist, perhaps you should enrol in a game development college and become a genius who makes The Next Big Thing, instead of working on mods and then coming here and being criticised because supposedly you haven't worked hard enough :unsure:

I feel like you're either being intentionally facetious or you're really that ignorant.

I'm not (at least intentionally) being mean.  I merely pointed out that G.J. is leading with his ego rather than his actual experience.  Is that a bad thing? Who knows.  I guess when you don't have an enormous amount of experience then you need to make yourself desirable so you can actually get the experience, sure.  I'll concede to that.

Otherwise, I feel like you're just rambling off garbage just for the sake of rambling off garbage.

People work for free, give them a break.

So?  What's your point?

GeneralJist is the same age as me.

Again, what's your point?

I think we should give him at least another 10 years to come up with something.

What in the hell does that even mean?

coming here and being criticised because supposedly you haven't worked hard enough :unsure:

Again, like I said, my points have less to do with the work he has or hasn't done, and more with the way he presents himself, as a person.  It should be his work speaking for him, not his ego.

I'm not bothered by people talking about their small projects. A few weeks ago I sat through a talk about an indy/small budget game and no-one there got into a debate about the developers or suggested that the developers were "trying to prove something". I left about about an hour, only because I was falling asleep after a long day on the course.

What AZ-Stalker is saying could be applied to operating systems too: "it's not about the size of your OS but how you use it". Linux has its own merits without needing to compare its philosophy to Microsoft's philosophy. Indy games and low budget games have become really trendy in recent years, I want to take it one step further by making free (as in free beer and as in liberty) native Linux games with c++ and Ink Scape. The sterile and hopeless corporate shenanigans of EA Games are an initial motivator for me but if I focus on that alone it's just a waste of time. I'm not sure if my goal is to make good propaganda for Linux or to do educational stuff and training. Maybe my goal is actually to break into the industry and I just haven't acknowledged it to myself yet ;) 

Guest Yorkton

You may want to believe that Linux has succeeded entirely on its own merits. You are right that those merits probably exist only because Linux is a unique community. That's why I run Linux. That may be why you're running it.

The main reason Linux is a credible challenge is because it is getting vocal and financial support from major corporations like Intel, IBM, Oracle, Informix, and Corel.

I still do care about what that unreleased thing he is working on looks like. So far it looks crap and has the same flaws which were complained about years ago. I cannot really take someone seriously who refuses to learn. If he doesn't want to learn he will never go anywhere and in the end it's all talk but nothing else.

First off, lauren, wtf? Seriously, do you normally talk **** behind people's back? I reached out to almost everyone here with only minor response. Secondly I personally don't believe that our mod is "The Best thing sence sliced bread" but I can say that our mod has been 100% reworked. And yes, we are technically a mod but all great companies have a humble beginning. I along with my whole team have worked very hard to produce high quality work on not only our own time but our own budget as well. We do it because we love the CNC series. Now jist is a little exited because we did get a chance to make somewhat of an impact. But that does not mean I nor my members should have the right to brag. That I can agree with. We did indeed attend GDC and it was a very nice thing to be able to do. I learned quite a lot but to be honest, we plan on moving into a LLC way before we become anything "BIG" if that, I'm thinking small with a we'll developed team. That will happen sometime from three to two months away. I personally never thought this mod would become what it is now. Heck there where many times where I was just going to quit. But I stuck to it and just kept going. Though we have a fairly large team, most of the graphics work tends to fall on me. I have even redone people's works and still credited them even though I had to fix it."problems with sage or texture mappings where off so the whole works needed to be redone". I don't believe that I am better then anyone here and I have always been open to help others if needed. So please, leave people out of this convo that you don't even know, not cool!                                                  And as always, if you need help or have a question, please send me a pm and I'll get back to you.

6 hours ago, Zee Hypnotist said:

I'm not (at least intentionally) being mean.  I merely pointed out that G.J. is leading with his ego rather than his actual experience.  Is that a bad thing? Who knows.  I guess when you don't have an enormous amount of experience then you need to make yourself desirable so you can actually get the experience, sure.  I'll concede to that.

I find it completely ridiculous that your saying this,  since I put my track record and experience publicly for all to see.

If you really want to find out who I am, and what I've done, it's really easy.

It's clear your making assumptions, without even doing the most basic bit of research into who I am, and what my project is about.

Actually, in regards to the CDC, it is something most of the pros I talked to asked us about, the viability of IP rights.

This is something we talked about with our Lawyer, to make sure we were in the clear.

Turns out the EA guy I mentioned earlier, actually said to my director Fandore, that he wanted to get us to sit down with EA.

These are not empty talk and words for hype alone.

I'd be a terrible PR lead if I lied to our community.

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

I still do care about what that unreleased thing he is working on looks like. So far it looks crap and has the same flaws which were complained about years ago. I cannot really take someone seriously who refuses to learn. If he doesn't want to learn he will never go anywhere and in the end it's all talk but nothing else.

I appreciate your critique, and I'm giving you more leeway, given your experience with C&C modding,  I said, I'd try and get you in contact with our creative and Art director, he's just really busy.

But, I'm getting the impression you really don't respect people who do things you can't or that you don't specialize in.

I'm a producer, I am not a programmer or an artist, I run all administrative functions from PR to HR, I don't think you actually appreciate what those people do. (nor does it seem like you appreciate the role of writers.)

We will be having a major update this weekend, to commemorate the"Deciversery" of C&C:3, just go see that, and see how much empty talk is there.

It's difficult for me to let my work speak for itself, because of my roles. I usually can't point to a specific asset and say "look, that was me".

I'm actually a bit astonished you can't seem to fathom that.

On 3/21/2017 at 4:56 AM, Plokite_Wolf said:

Take a few lessons from them if you want to join them.

While I understand your point,  we are a 3D product, which changes everything.

Doesn't it say something about us that we been able to get that kind of respect, notoriety, and connections before release?

People like the ones we are connected to don't waste their time with people who don't have the chops to back up what they say, if you or anyone is unable to realize that, then please screw on your critical thinking cap a little tighter.

We present, structure,  and operate professionally because we are using this for our portfolios, It started as a cool moding thing for  C&C, but over time, we realized, in order to have the chance to accomplish our vision, we needed to be as professional as possible.  

Think of our project like volunteering at a professional not for profit organization.

Just because there is no direct compensation does not compromise the quality of our execution.

I respect the accomplishments of the other continuing C&C projects, I really do, but we are doing something none of them are actually doing,  expanding the universe into the future.

And sure, most of you could holler at me about the audacity of such thinking, and sure you can be skeptical of talk over things that you don't have in your hands yet. But we made a commitment to this project, and to make it as best it can be, we want your 1st experience of that to actually be a playable game, not a half broken mod that is missing core aspects of an RTS. 

We are adding in entirely new factions, not just reskinning and reworking the old.

As for the issues around EA, no, we are not asking for their approval, quite the opposite, we want them to come to us.

(sure, you can be skeptical of if that is even realistic, but if Microsoft want's to work with us, and Google has been spamming me to pay them to be featured on all search engines, except yahoo, than I can tell you, we are not like the others that have come before.

Yall will see tonight, or this weekend.

As to what are our intentions of conducting ourselves this way?

Why, to start a studio of course,  to register as a partnership LLC, and make  bigger and better things.

The #1 issue all indies and startups have is discovery, is to have people know who they are, and trust in their brand.

C&C will always be special to me, always, but there is more we can do, and yall will soon see it.

On 3/20/2017 at 10:57 PM, jeffnz said:

LOL,

Thanks, I actually already have a Bachelor's in psychology.

I intend to go for my masters tho, I would love to get a degree in a gamedev field, but my calling is that of Human Resources & Industrial organizational psychology. (business Psych)

I'll probably go for a PMP certification tho.

Remember, I'm a producer & a writer

I'll leave the actual designing to far more competent people.

Also, it will not take us another 10 years, people will have something in their hands this year.

(weather you will be one of them is up to you)

Edited by GeneralJist