Sign in to follow this  
earth_force

Does C&C Generals work on Windows 10?

I am currently running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) and am considering upgrading to Windows 10 within the next month. I have read conflicting information on various sites about whether Command and Conquer Generals will run on Windows 10.

I have the original (UK) C&C Generals disks, manual and serial number. The game is patched to version 1.08 which I believe is the latest (and last) patch for Generals. I don't have Zero Hour. I am able to play the game fine on Windows 7 thanks to information I've read about changing the 'options.ini' file and manually starting/stopping driver secdrv.sys used by Macrovision's SafeDisc copy protection scheme. I should point out that I've only played solo play games up until now.

Once I've upgraded to Windows 10, will Generals still work? If not, what do I need to do to continue playing this awesome game?

Following on from this, assuming Generals can be made to work on Windows 10, will the Generals WorldBuilder also work?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

Edited by Sonic

By default, the disc versions of Generals and Zero Hour will not work on Windows 10 because SafeDisc is completely disabled and you may find that it is even removed. You can seek workarounds for this on the web or find a good no-CD for the patched game versions.

Thanks Plokite_Wolf. I am already using a NoCD crack so perhaps I already have everything I need to continue playing the game? What do you think? What are the other workarounds?

Then I guess you should be fine, the no-CD bypasses or removes the SafeDisc protection for Generals, so you need not tamper with anything further.

But if you're interested in global workarounds, you'll need to manually insert a proper secdrv.sys file (which you can find on any SafeDisc-protected game) to C:\Windows\system32\drivers and somehow make it automatically enable itself whenever you boot the computer. I think it's the command prompt-based commands on this page that might do the trick: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255

Would all C&C TUC games work on windows 10 including cncnet?

Depends on each game. All Westwood titles need manual fiddling to get them to run properly, but most (if not all) of the issues are shared with earlier Windows systems.

Will the Generals WorldBuilder program also work on Windows 10 based on these workarounds?

Yes. WorldBuilder is a separate executable that is not protected in any way and it works nicely with Windows 10.

Many thanks Plokite_Wolf for your help and for the link. :D

Following on from CyberFaction's post, do you have any personal experience or knowledge of C&C Tiberian Sun (and Firestorm) running on Windows 10? I have the original (UK) disks, manual and serial number for this game too and would love to play these on Windows 10 as well. I don't have any other experience of using NoCD cracks, but could the NoCD crack I am using for Generals, also work for Tiberian Sun or are they game specific?

Following on from CyberFaction's post, do you have any personal experience or knowledge of C&C Tiberian Sun (and Firestorm) running on Windows 10?

I have played tiberian sun/firestorm using a program called cncnet.

However I don't know anything about using the original CDs. And I don't have windows 10 but I'm thinking of upgrading.

This program allows for you to play the game online play the single player and is more updated with the ability to play the game in 1080p and windowed mode and improved speed and reduced lag.

A bit of advice turn of your anti virus when using the cncnet5 client (i.e the online service client that allows you to play the game online) or add it to your anti virus exception list. I use Norton 360 and it stopped me from using it but I just restored it. The program is harmless. ;)

Here's the link : http://cncnet.org/tiberian-sun

Depends on each game. All Westwood titles need manual fiddling to get them to run properly, but most (if not all) of the issues are shared with earlier Windows systems..

So would the later games work generals, C&C 3, red alert 3?

Edited by CyberFaction
  • Upvote 1

Many thanks Plokite_Wolf for your help and for the link. :D

Following on from CyberFaction's post, do you have any personal experience or knowledge of C&C Tiberian Sun (and Firestorm) running on Windows 10? I have the original (UK) disks, manual and serial number for this game too and would love to play these on Windows 10 as well. I don't have any other experience of using NoCD cracks, but could the NoCD crack I am using for Generals, also work for Tiberian Sun or are they game specific?

Alas, Tiberian Sun discs also have SafeDisc. If you manage to bypass it, the installers might work. You can then patch it to 2.03 and then then this Win8/10 fix.

Alternatively, you can use the CnCNet installer as CyberFaction said. Use the Win8/10 fix on it as well just to be sure you have everything you need.

No-CDs are always game-specific and are most often version-specific.

So would the later games work generals, C&C 3, red alert 3?

Yes.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Alas, Tiberian Sun discs also have SafeDisc. If you manage to bypass it, the installers might work. You can then patch it to 2.03 and then then this Win8/10 fix.

Alternatively, you can use the CnCNet installer as CyberFaction said. Use the Win8/10 fix on it as well just to be sure you have everything you need.

Yes.

There is a newer version of the TS installer with better support for Windows 10. More info.

• Upvote 1

tsins is a funny name for the directory. tiberium sins? ;D (yeah yeah ts installer, but hey where's the fun there?)

Yes.

Great. Thanks Plokite_Wolf for more useful links on this subject.

There is a newer version of the TS installer with better support for Windows 10. More info.

Thanks Tore. I had no idea there were still so many Tiberian Sun fans out there. :D

I'm intrigued by the newer installer. Is the actual game single player missions for both TS and Firestorm unchanged from the original? Will I be able to successfully load up previously saved missions (which would have been using the latest patch v2.03)?

I'm intrigued by the newer installer. Is the actual game single player missions for both TS and Firestorm unchanged from the original? Will I be able to successfully load up previously saved missions (which would have been using the latest patch v2.03)?

Yes and most likely yes (didn't test save compatibility).

Yes.

Hi Tore,

Part way through installing your TS installer, Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 has halted the installation and is warning that it contains PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic.

Is the installation file safe?

Yes.

Many anti virus companies flag new or "unknown" software as malicious even though they are not. This is a pretty half assed way of protecting against new malware that harms many developers and potentially the AV companies themselves. People are told constantly told detections are false positives all the time this causes a loss of trust in the AV programs.

Anyways. The latest version is:

http://tore29.com/tsins/TSinstaller3-beta11r6.exe (No anti virus should have issues with this one according to VirusTotal)

http://tore29.com/tsins/Info.txt (always the same link)

Yes , Iam playing C&C Zero hour on my windows 10 , You will just need the options.ini file and put it in your generals data file which located in the doc. file