Sign in to follow this  
HOPE1134

Petroglyph's 8-Bit Armies / 8-Bit Hordes/ 8-Bit Invaders

More like Noobzone Rampage had limited access to each base, plus blue Tiberium, so noobs don't have to think about enemies flanking then, especially in a 2v2.

Your point being? It basically states what I already said in an offensive manner.

I can't see how spam is viable in choke points that narrow :P

Then you've got no idea how the game actually works.

Any functionality of anything can be used well or poorly, it just depends on implementation and the desired effect it was suppose to produce. I'll reverse to pass judgment on something like a pop cap for a game until I actually play it. Until then, I don't think the assumption is fair pop cap -> spam control. It 99% time is but even if it is, if the game is fun, so what? Age of Empires was incredibly fun!

Petroglyph seems active on their Steam discussion forums for those interested via their account "8-Bit Armies". They also stated maybe needing alpha/beta testers... so go beg here if you want :)

Some quotes in response to cost, will it be free, etc, below:

Workin' on it! Definitely on the lower-end of the pricing scale for new games. We've reduced our costs by eliminating lots of cutscenes and dialogue and we're passing the savings on to you! ːsteamhappyː

-8Bit

- Source.

No decision yet, but we're focused on making it affordable so that we can grow the audience for the game as much as possible. We're just looking to cover costs for development and then give us a head start on the next faction.

-8Bit

Source.

Would love to make it free - but then we would have to charge for silly things like in-game bullets, sound effects, boosted damage....

Seriously, we didn't want to hold back on content or features for players that were new to RTS. You'll get everything for one low price without in-game advertisements to buy more for the "full" experience.
-8Bit

Source.

Edited by TheBlackOut

We've reduced our costs by eliminating lots of cutscenes and dialogue and we're passing the savings on to you!

So they removed the last redeeming qualities of their latest games? Uh... yay?

Yeah, that seemed like an odd decision to present as if it were a good thing. :unsure:

They must not have very high expectations for this game and just hope to shove out a really small and really cheap game that everyone buys for its price and nobody will ever talk about a again a few months after release. It may do well in profit, but with no lasting impact, will do very little for their reputation. If they are desperate for income to keep afloat and know that this game absolutely isn't going to be their magnum opus, aiming low might be the best course of action for them.

Didnt they mention that there was a campaign planed? Wonder how they pull that off without cinematics... or voiceacting.

25 offline campaign missions

10 co-op missions to play with your friends

To be exact. Now sounds like a cheap generals challenge where you probably just hear a few taunts here and there.

The release date is 22 April. One freakin' week away. Bye-bye Petroglyph Games...

Hmm... I should have noticed it sooner, the glaring clue was in them announcing something bad as if it were good. This is a classic case of rushed game syndrome. Somebody somewhere on the corporate ladder with EA-like shortsightedness has obviously decided to push the game out the door faster than everyone else knows it should be.

Guest Stevie_K

Hmm... I should have noticed it sooner, the glaring clue was in them announcing something bad as if it were good. This is a classic case of rushed game syndrome. Somebody somewhere on the corporate ladder with EA-like shortsightedness has obviously decided to push the game out the door faster than everyone else knows it should be.

Yeah. It's obviously corporate EA-like shortsightedness! We should all have noticed the glaring clues! Shame on them! :rolleyes:

or.. you know... they might actually be out of money if they don't ship now because making games is expensive...

If you think rushing a game because they will run out of money if they don't isn't a result of bad, shortsighted decisions, you are naïve. The drive for money is what backs all of EA's dumb choices. If Petroglyph is making the same ones, even if the reason for them is desperation over greed, the end result is the same.

Well the release of this somewhat rushed game is too soon.

Bye-bye Petroglyph? They should have given away their games free for a limited time just like Uber's Planetary Annihilation.

• Downvote 1

The difference is Uber used Kickstarter to fund their game. They already made the money. Petro did not.

Guest Stevie_K

If you think rushing a game because they will run out of money if they don't isn't a result of bad, shortsighted decisions, you are naïve.

Sometimes the choice stands between releasing the game or closing the company. That's a reality that countless game companies continue to face. We dont know if this is the case here, but we do know that being able to spend a long time creating a game is a luxury that not everybody can enjoy.

I wont be the judge of whether their decision to rush is bad or not.

Call me naive, but I don't think it is naive to refrain from immediately claiming that this is "corporate EA-shortsightedness".

The drive for money is what backs all of EA's dumb choices. If Petroglyph is making the same ones, even if the reason for them is desperation over greed, the end result is the same.

What "same choices" are you talking about? What "end result" are you talking about?

Lower your pitchfork for a moment try to realize that while money is not the only drive necessary for a healthy business, it is undeniably a very important one.

I wont be the judge of whether their decision to rush is bad or not.

Rushing a game is a very risky gamble. As with all gambles, you might actually win. If you have no money left, and your last hope lies in making a risky gamble, it may be the best choice, but that doesn't make it a good choice.

Call me naive, but I don't think it is naive to refrain from immediately claiming that this is "corporate EA-shortsightedness".

First of all, that entire post wasn't entirely serious, it was a jab at EA just as much as it was Petroglyph. I thought the choice of wording I used made that clear. Nevertheless, I do suspect that it may be true.

What "same choices" are you talking about? What "end result" are you talking about?

Choices that hurt the product to meet an arbitrary deadline. The end result is a bad game.

Lower your pitchfork for a moment try to realize that while money is not the only drive necessary for a healthy business, it is undeniably a very important one.

Indeed, it is an important one. When it is elevated to the only driving force, you get EA. Or if you are so desperate for money it resembles greed, you are the same monster wearing different clothes.

Or if you are so desperate for money it resembles greed, you are the same monster wearing different clothes.

Are you implying Petroglyph here is greedy because they're that desperate for money?

How did you come to that conclusion? I said desperation resembles greed. I did not imply, insinuate, hint, or remotely suggest that greed and desperation are the same thing.

A house burned down by an arsonist and one burned down by an accidental electrical fire resemble each other and have the same end results. Does that mean I am implying accidental electrical fires are arson? Don't be ridiculous.

EA makes bad choices when they don't have to, they are greedy. Petroglyph may be making bad choices because they have no other option, they are desperate. Doesn't mean either is less likely to get their house burned down.

Guest Stevie_K

First of all, that entire post wasn't entirely serious, it was a jab at EA just as much as it was Petroglyph. I thought the choice of wording I used made that clear. Nevertheless, I do suspect that it may be true.

I'll be honest with you. I can't be bothered looking for clues in your choice of wording as to whether you are entirely serious or not. I'm not here to uncover what you think but don't write.

Choices that hurt the product to meet an arbitrary deadline. The end result is a bad game.

What arbitrary deadline are you referring to, and what makes you think it is arbitrary?

I'll be honest with you. I can't be bothered making my jesting more obvious for those who don't get it. I'm not here to cradle those who would prefer to assume the worst intentions rather than give benefit of the doubt.

An arbitrary deadline is any deadline that comes before the product is finished. The earlier, the more arbitrary.

You are just dancing around a non-issue for everyone who's not in that company (and Nmenth is closest to be reasonable here) it does not matter why a product is released in an unfinished state. What matters is if it's a good game (including feeling finished) or not, and all the signs at the moment point to it being not a good game.

Edited by Lauren

Guest Stevie_K

An arbitrary deadline is any deadline that comes before the product is finished. The earlier, the more arbitrary.

A deadline is the latest point at which something should be completed. That does not mean that in a project with multiple deadlines, they are all arbitrary but the last one. Neither that the earlier a deadline is, the more arbitrary it is. I'm curious as to where you get that idea. Some projects may treat deadlines that way, but this is not physics where laws apply across the board.

You are just dancing around a non-issue for everyone who's not in that company (and Nmenth is closest to be reasonable here) it does not matter why a product is released in an unfinished state. What matters is if it's a good game (including feeling finished) or not, and all the signs at the moment point to it being not a good game.

I don't want to speculate whether the actual game plays well or not. Neither will I tell you what matters to you, everyone else and what doesn't. And I definitely wont spew out something like "Now sounds like a cheap generals challenge where you probably just hear a few taunts here and there" based on a quote that they have 25 offline campaign missions and 10 co-op missions to play with your friends. You do you, but don't tell me that because I try to focus on a different aspect of this discussion, that it is a non-issue.

I would simply like to question why some people here jump to some of the worst conclusions in regards to this game, and why some, in an all knowing fashion hand out bold absolute statements left and right.

You left out that I didn't make this statement before they also said that they cut lots of dialogue. If you ignore half the context it doesn't make your opinion more valid.

There's also a different between "it's just [...]" and "it sounds like [...]".

Edited by Lauren

in a project with multiple deadlines

I'm not talking about multiple deadlines, I'm talking about the product release deadline. The only deadline that is relevant to this topic. The only deadline that matters to anyone other than the team working on the project. Don't set up a straw man and argue semantics.

I am starting to wonder if you are just a troll seeing how far outside reality you can get me to follow you. If you still want to play ignorant after this, I will not play along with you. The discussion is only just barely still on topic anyway.