PurpleGaga27

EA's Leak on a C&C Tiberium game in 2016?

It may be too soon to post this, but this may be an early April Fools joke.

Someone who mentioned it found out it was a fake, except for the other games to be mentioned later in 2016:

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/4cf6gi/ea_play_leak_for_2016

Here's the pic:

FwfKOCQ.jpg

Wow... wow, that must be some quality phone game they making there if they bothered to add it to the leak/joke ;)

It's using the Generals-style C&C logo on the top. Not something that goes in its favour, they wouldn't use old graphics like that for no reason.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Guest Rabbit

Fake fake fake. Aside from the fact that this list encompasses literally every possible EA-game fanboy, EA has never revived a project under the exact same name as a discarded project.

Additionally, the EA Access logo is altered, it looks like an arm instead of the actual angular shape inside the A.

No text on the Mercenaries 3 logo?

No tm on the EA play? No tm next to any of the working titles for the games?

Two star wars games at once?

There are a huge number of discrepancies on this screenshot. I've named those that I could find in the first two minutes.

There's something else I also discovered, Nintendo NX is also mentioned as a platform for some of the newer games (which some people are claiming that new console will be more powerful than PS4):

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/nintendo-nx-release-date-news-and-rumors-1289401

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2016/03/27/leak-claims-nintendo-nx-is-more-powerful-than-ps4-but-be-careful/#65573f00360f

This would have been cool if it were real but as soon as I saw it I immediately thought fake. Someone on Twitter has said its fake anyway.

Dammit why did have to be a fake? Dammit EA release a new C&C game :mad:

Of course it had to be a fake being on xbox 1 ps4 and nx would definitely hint its a fake :mad::mad::mad:

Look on the bright side, at least they didn't trolled us with Obama's DLC :P

I think we need to accept that Command and Conquer has died. It's gone, there will never be a new one most likely. It's sad because they're such incredible games, but hey, **** happens. Unless EA loses rights to the titles somehow and someone else picks up Westwood and tells them to make a new real C&C game instead of the most recent crap.

I think we need to accept that Command and Conquer has died. It's gone, there will never be a new one most likely. It's sad because they're such incredible games, but hey, **** happens.

There is always hope. If something like DOOM can be resurrected after 20 years (12 Years if you count Doom 3), something like C&C has every chance of doing the same thing. Its all about timing. Perhaps you should read my article that I wrote in August last year http://www.cncnz.com/features/articles-editorials/the-state-of-the-command-conquer-franchise-where-to-from-here/

Unless EA loses rights to the titles somehow and someone else picks up Westwood and tells them to make a new real C&C game instead of the most recent crap.

A company as big as EA don't just "loose" or give up rights to properties they own. And no one else can "pick up" Westwood. Westwood is nothing but a brand name owned by EA. Again, the article I linked to above explains things in more detail.

Go make a petition to bring back Westwood like many before you, it may work this time :rolleyes:

Go make a petition to bring back Westwood like many before you, it may work this time :rolleyes:

I highly doubt that will work as I have seen many of them being closed before they reach their goal.

I guess it’s a really long investigation.

Yeah right. What could they possibly be investigating?

One unconfirmed story that crossed my path in November 2013 ..... a very high corporate source within EA stated that Command & Conquer would be “shelved” for about 3 years while its future is determined

Where did you hear that? And this might be unlikely because they would be focusing on their other titles but if this is true we might hear something sooner or later.

I highly doubt that will work as I have seen many of them being closed before they reach their goal.

I was being sarcastic.

Bottom line is, EA doesn't know what to do with C&C. (They don't know how to make it as or more successful as the past ones, or anywhere near that bar.)

They know:

1. TT was a failure

(Will they learn from the event? Will they finally realize the dysfunctional management was to blame, and to not try to turn a half-baked product into a full cake because you stamp a fancy title on it? Wil they learn to unlock the dev team’s potential, not breath down their knecks?)

2. There is still a dedicated market for C&C.

(Evidence by Tib Alliances,Grey goo, remaining community effort, which includes C&C mods making it to #2 & #3 in mod of the year 2015.)

3. RTS is not a dead genre

(Grey Goo, World in conflict, Act of Aggression, That upcoming Warhammer RTS, Starcraft etc.

The thing is, all those games, all those franchises have a publisher or dev team that has been around since the beginning, and have key people who know the lore, know the mechanics, know the franchise, know the community like the back of their hand. EA doesn't have or only has a few people who could say that about C&C.

C&C is a franchise, is a brand name. There are expectations, and extremely high bars set.

This means, in order to go after that bar, that level of execution you need a solid vision, solid team, and solid management.

EA says they want passion, but when passion meets business, there is always going to be some give and take. Unfortunately, EA is too far on the business end, they kill the passion.

Having a vision means you take risks, means you go out and say, this is how I think it should be, and maybe it's not what we all thought, maybe it won't make huge bucks, maybe it will fail hard, but I believe it ought to be this way, and I have made it so, for yall to see. (I know it will succeed, maybe not just by the measure of profit.)

That takes guts, that takes throwing the #s and hard data aside sometimes to pursue the vision.

Vision > Purpose> Structure> Passion> Community

The keys to true creation, to building greatness.

EA will only make a successful C&C if they can foster all of those things.

RTS is a huge investment. Time, money, skill.

Half baking it won't work. Throwing money at it won't work.

Think of it like this:

1.you're drilling for underground Tiberium

2. You fire or piss off most of the drill operators, by being an abusive manager.

3.The remaining find out your skimming off the top of their wages, and resent you.

4. You’re still paying them well, but they don't want to or can't work in such harsh conditions, at such a reduced workforce.

5. You and the remaining team decide to go find an iron mind instead, much less hazardous, but less profitable, and a bit common.

6. You put perimeter mines and defenses around the Tiberium Drill, to guard your investment.

7. 3 years pass, all the while you look for qualified people who will operate the tib drill. Meanwhile plopping out iron like no buddy’s business.

8. But this is a specialized skill, hard to find, and expensive to contract.

9. The profit margin is known, and is huge, but you can't find enough people to operate it for you.

10. You sit and wait till the right people come along, for the right price, who know how to mine the Tiberium. All the while you contemplate your past actions, will you learn from your mistakes? Will you be a fairer manager? or will you remain in your old ways, expecting others to bend to your will and conditions, if they want the chance at the vein of riches you can offer?

The Irony is, if you don't learn, and change, this cycle will repeat itself until maybe one day you realized 20 years have passed, and all you have done is lost the time, and robbed the market and economy of the Tiberium’s potential value and growth.

Maybe others will come upon a different field, and beat you to it?

Maybe others will mine in secret, in the night?

Maybe it takes you so long, that all the parties interested in Tiberium die off, and your stuck trying to market it to the next generation?

Or maybe the Tiberium will decay after so long, and all those who once valued it no longer care for its tainted wealth after you finally get it all together?

Despite the possibilities, we the community will wait, act, and persist….

Edited by GeneralJist
  • Upvote 2

Where did you hear that? And this might be unlikely because they would be focusing on their other titles but if this is true we might hear something sooner or later.

Various sources who wish to remain unnamed.

Bottom line is, EA doesn't know what to do with C&C. (They don't know how to make it as or more successful as the past ones, or anywhere near that bar.)

Bingo! That's basically the problem right there.

3. RTS is not a dead genre

(Grey Goo, World in conflict, Act of Aggression, That upcoming Warhammer RTS, Starcraft etc.

RTS is dead. Grey Goo and Act of Aggression flopped, Dawn of War III is only known to have base building, but whether it will be a true sequel to the first game remains to be seen. StarCraft II has had its final expansion, Legacy of the Void, released last autumn (when you obviously weren't paying attention) and all that is made now are post-release patches and side-story mini-campaigns.

RTS is a huge investment. Time, money, skill.

A proper RTS is easy to envision, which is why there were so many RTS titles at the start of the millennium. An FPS is even easier to make, yet today we have all those Calls of Duty and Battlefields running around watering the genre down.

1. Well maybe so, I'm not as tapped in to the current RTS market as I should be. The others aside, Startcraft will always have a deticated base of Blizzard SESS poolers, it's just how the Bliz Community is, very in crowd, loyal to a fault, and a bit dumb to non Blizzard related facts and lore.

Just cuz there were many failures on the development end, doesn't mean the market and the community has moved on from the genre, moved away maybe, but not "on".

Sleep

Eat

Starcraft/ any Bliz game

2. *Facepalm*

Yes, an RTS is easy to envision, but hard as hell to fully plan and execute. (There's a big difference between making a plan to do something, and doing it to the end.

Did you seriously say an RTS is easier to make then an FPS?

FPS games are common, because they easy as hell to make, RTS games are less common since they take a hell of a long time to make.

I'm talking about 3D of course.

I honestly know nothing about 2D game development....

Please dude, don't insult me by trying to say a 3D RTS is easier to make and shorter to make than a 3D FPS.

That’s just like saying It’s easier to write a book then a poem…..

Edited by GeneralJist

Did you seriously say an RTS is easier to make then an FPS?

No, I said it the other way around. Read.

I agree with Plokite. RTS is a dead genre. If one game (StarCraft) can take majority of this gaming branch, it's a apparent example of dead RTS genre. Nothing can challenge Blizzard game. I can't recall any other game other than TT, which tried to stand in line with SC. Yeah, it failed, but if i recall correctly it's the only other triple-A RTS game, which stand against mere copy of Wh40k (SC was based on Wh40k, but due to Games Workshop licensing issues, they had to made some changes).

C&C IP is too big to be sold, but on the other hand it doesn't maintain any foreseeable profits to make new game with C&C in title.

• Downvote 1

RTS games being dead is a self-fulfilling prophecy when so few of them are produced.

I agree with TaxOwlbear, but I think it goes even further than that; all genres are only as dead as game companies allow them to be. People will play what games are made as long as they are actually worth playing. No one plays games that aren't made.

A series can be properly "killed", where no one will buy it anymore because its reputation is in the toilet. But a "dead" genre is only one in which nobody is currently putting out quality material, and can be resurrected at any time. Therefore, I think a genre being "asleep" might be more accurate than calling it "dead".

The C&C series could be dead (though I disagree), but the RTS genre is only dead until someone makes a good RTS.

True, but EA doesn't know how to make C&C as epic as the other RTS games out there.

Edited by zocom7

RTS games being dead is a self-fulfilling prophecy when so few of them are produced.

Well isn't that the chicken and egg issue?

Q"Is there any market for an RTS?"

A: "Well, we don't see any being developed, so the answer must be no"

Q: But isn't there none out there cuz no one wants to put the investment in making them?"

A: "Well, since no one else wants to take such a risk, why should we either? there's clearly none in the market"

That's EA's approach, see what's in the market, what's selling real good, make a bunch of those, for quick bucks.

Well, I would argue,

with such a quiet market, one could say that's like a power vacuum.

The profit will go to whomever has he Skill, strength and courage to take advantage of the hibernation.

But you need to know what will wake people up, if you’re not sure, why risk the resources to fail again? You need something special, something new, something old, something blue….

EA doesn't have the balls to do it, at least not now, maybe they will get desperate enough with the market so saturated.

@Zocom 7,

Your assuming EA has people who have the experience to make an RTS, any RTS, in the 1st place.

Name any of their current studios that might be qualified?

Any strategy game experience?

RTS is a different beast than any other genre, it is the antithesis of browser / mobile gaming.

It's meant to be a war simulation, that requires depth across the board. Since when is EA good at that?

Most likely the only viable option EA really has with C&C is to license it to an already qualified and visionary entity. like WW made Dune II.

Thus it will really have come full circle.

Edited by GeneralJist