Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Do you think Red Alert is still the best and most popular C&C game today?

I don't recall if I ever created this topic before.

After 21 years of C&C95 and about 20 years of my favorite C&C game, there is no doubt in my mind and still even today Red Alert is still the best and most popular C&C game. In fact I didn't know until now, Red Alert was actually released on Halloween 1996. If ants were in RA, I wish there were zombies in RA. :P :P :P

My top ten reasons why Red Alert is still the best C&C:

1. The game is freeware!
  2. The game is made portable with lots of new changes.
  3. Frank Klepacki's music soundtrack is the best.
  4. The voice taunts and sound effects are excellent.
  5. Hell March!
  6. Tanya was rocking.
  7. A mostly terrific balanced game.
  8. One of the fewest games with ants in them.
  9. It had the most missions among all other C&C games.
  10. Kane and Stalin were there.

In my opinion, Tiberian Sun, Firestorm, Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge, Renegade, and Zero Hour were better than Red Alert. Every other C&C was not as good.

If it was the "best" is an opinion. If it is the most "popular" is objective, and the answer is no.

I like C&C1 the most and RA1 second. Followed by TS, Generals and RA2.

However I do think RA1 and RA2 are by many one of the most fondly remembered games in the series.

Edited by Tore

If its purely from a popularity point of view, Red Alert 2 would have to be in the number 1 spot.

Back in the days, yeah TS or RA2 were good, but they didn't aged well... if i recall correctly, even back then multiplayer in TS was a nightmare - more than 4 players? Forget about big battles without tremendous lag... or mysterious "internal error".

StarCraft, which was released two years prior to TS was more polished and reliable for competitive games... at least servers could handle 8 players (and moar!) on popular Big Game Hunters map

Edited by Traymen

I've been playing Red Alert lately and I would agree that it's among the best. Though, I'm biased because Red Alert was the first CnC game that I really got to understand. Then it was Tiberian Sun (at age 11). Then I got The First Decade in 2006 - Yuri's Revenge didn't work but Tiberian Dawn was cool. I actually remember playing TD on console when I was about 7. Anyway, because I never really got obsessed with RA-2 I'd say that Red Alert is my 2nd fav (behind TS). RA-1 offers slightly higher resolution than TD and the missions feel possible to win, unlike TD where on a certain GDI mission I always run out of resources and can't launch a large enough attack to over-run the NOD base. TD maps were too cramped - in RA-1 I feel like I have enough room to build a base and I always manage to hog the ore on campaign mode.

Red Alert was better implemented than TD, especially because of the different units. As Soviet I use v2 launchers for a variety of tasks, and as allies I make use of artillery, rangers and light tanks (rangers are best for hunting the vulnerable v2 launchers). Playing on Easy yesterday, I managed to capture the command post that controls the missiles, by using that sneaky path that runs along the north of the map. I used half medium-tanks and half light-tanks, the mammoth tanks at the front of the enemy base didn't bother to react to the sneak attack. I think the RA-1 Allies faction is really good if you play them as you'd play NOD in CnC3 - sneak attacks, opportunistic territory control etc. Lots of attacks and retreats in a way that tests the enemy's strength.

Unrelated: back in '01, when ignoring the teacher in class, I recall drawing laser fences blowing up vehicles ^_^

I remember getting TD back it was called CnC'95. Yeah, I'm that old. Then when RA came out, I was stoked. But I was working a lot, and then 2 expansions were released, and I plunked out the $55 for the 3 pack, which I still have the box like .. how many years has it been now? Yeah.. btw, don't ever loan your game CD's to a "friend" because I never got them back. So the freeware option now is pretty cool.

Last year I replayed all the '95 GDI and NOD missions. Every single one of them. Got out the CO cd and ggaaawwwdd I forgot how hard those were. Some missions were fun, some I still can't beat. I started with RA but went and got TS and FS. I tried to play them, but they really turned me off. A couple features I liked, but for the most part I didn't care for it. I'm a story player too, so I had to read up on the story to connect with what happened to start TW off. But I played KW first, then TW... which actually makes more sense imo.

I have yet to play TT.

so... KW is my favorite one so far. Without importing any units for anywhere else, there is lots of improvement to be made just from within the existing architecture.

C&C95 actually refers to "Command & Conquer for Windows 95" (aka C&C Gold) which came out in 1997. The original DOS version came out in 1995 and got the semi-official subtitle "Tiberian Dawn" not too long after.

Red Alert is definitely the C&C game I spent most time playing. As for general popularity, I'd say that Generals and Red Alert 2 are the most popular C&C games.