Sign in to follow this  
Egozi44

How to save / keep object's animation after exporting with max 9 ?

I wanted to add the sub way node as buildable object since I was a kid but in kw it was a bit more complex (and in my old attempts i didnt knew how to use max yet) sinc unlike in TW, EA put the sub way's w3xs in the WB big (not normal core big/static/whatsoever)

That result with either invisible object or unbuildable sub way (the game just won't detect the construct command if it in the WB section since the mcvs commandset is in the Main static and not the WB's one), and if I put the xml in the main static folder it will just result as I said above (invisible object since the w3xs are in other section)

Simply readding the w3xs with different ids to the main file without using max will still result in crash without any errors (I tried it... took me more than half hour), so the only option that was left for me was to remake it in max, which I done and it work wonderful

The only issue is that while the destruction animation work in max it won't work once I export the object no matter what settings I tried, the bones will move but the debris (which Aren't sub objects) and the main object just won't move, do I need to re-rig them somehow? Or I do something wrong here? What the method to save animations and how I can rig TW objects? (BFME method not works for me with TW's objects)

Thanks

Edited by Egozi44

The only issue is that while the destruction animation work in max it won't work once I export the object no matter what settings I tried, the bones will move but the debris (which Aren't sub objects) and the main object just won't move, do I need to re-rig them somehow? Or I do something wrong here? What the method to save animations and how I can rig TW objects? (BFME method not works for me with TW's objects)

Thanks

Make sure the bones have the 'Export transform' option checked. The issue you describe (animations working in Max, but not in W3X viewer\Ingame) is caused by 1 or more animation bones not having their transform correctly exported,

BFME? To rig TW objects, follow the simple but adequate tutorial that EALA included with the official SDK documentation.

Thanks for the help

I don't have such a box, where can I find it?

Edit I think I've found it thank to google

http://w3dhub.com/tutorials/content/w3d_tools_exporter.htm

Seem like all of them checked aside the main building object (which don't need it checked) o_o

Maybe the issue is with my plugin or max version?

What ver you use of both max and plugin?

I don't have max 9's sp2 and had to add a few stuff manually in order to be able to use the plugins to begin with

Edited by Egozi44

I need more information.

What did you use to import the TW W3X into max? What options did you use (list all of them) while importing? What version was the importer?

When you say you redid the animations what do you mean? That you you used the bones that you imported into max and created new animations? or that you edited existing animations that you had imported?

Have you ever successfully exported working animations from max before, or is this your first time?

As for the Kane's wrath side of things, I have no idea so I will leave that to those who do.

I use max 9 without any service pack or updates (and had to add the "dxDDS" bmi manually since my max didn't had it, that why I ask if the SP make the difference because I saw that other modders don't have such issue)

I aside from what EA and Luran/Bibber provide with their SDKs in regard to max (which were the same files iirc) also use w3x importer 1.1.0.15

I using this plugin to import existing bones and meshs, it seem that max love to ruin some stuff upon saving but not in regard to existing stuff (If I add new bones max will mess their position after saves, what I do is to take their position from the w3x file and manually re-add them to the existing w3x with notepad, it works but it also something that no one else having with max, which make suspect the version or the plugin

I never animated before (aside from today when I just tried simple build animation, But looking at the preview the animation works in max and the bones set 'Export transform' since I used existing bones )

Edit

I just tried crate simple animation with auto key and same result, the bones will move but the object disappear after exporting

Edited by Egozi44

I take it that inside Max you have used a WWSkin to bind the model's vertices to the bones? (Does the model have a WWSkin?).

If you are saying yes to that, then I would like to see you try and successfully complete the TW Mod SDK tutorial. If that is successful, then hopefully you could have leant something about possible errors that you might have made in your first attempt at an animation.

If it does not work, I am out of ideas.

Never used WWSkin on existing animations (didn't had to afaik)

I know how to place the plink thing the WWSkin provide but aside from BFME things I have no clue what to do with it in TW/KW

The animation I done was very basic and didn't used dummy (which I don't sure how to attach to the bone anyway, youtube is my friend for that ;) )

I just made structure pop from the ground with auto key, it still not explain why the stuff of the existing animation disappears after exporting though, could you tell me what ver of Max and importer you uses? (I assume you use the same version of importer since you didn't mention it, but what about the max version?)

The max version may be import here, I got random issues that people who use the up to date ver never heard of

Edited by Egozi44

Thanks will look into it,

EDIT

Darn, I tried stuff (also from the guide) and nothing work, it seem to work with the original files but they will disappear in-game :c

Edited by Egozi44

Are you exporting the animation as animation only or hierarchical animated? Also make sure your slider is at your frame 0 or start frame of the animation when you export it.

take a screenshot of your export settings aswell.

Will do when i be home, I tried pretty much everything, even checked settings I don't fully know what they do just for the test

I tried pure animation with and without external skeleton, also hierarchical animated with and without external skeleton, I tried the boxs that let max fix "this and that" and the one that add obbox (I think? ) as well in the save settings,

How about I also upload both max and w3x file so you or Madin could see if it save fine for you?

That could help me figure out if something is wrong in my max

Edit

Well updated max.... finding the SP was easy unlike the last time I looked for it >.>

Still same issue (any point in posting the save settings when already wrote under what settings I save at?)

Edited by Egozi44

Make sure you are exporting your meshes as geometry and not just bones only.

Test your model and animation in the w3xviewer as well. Make sure you didn't make any typos in your xml in regards to referencing your animation/models etc.

Does your mesh disappear during the animation or at the end of it?

Make sure you are exporting your meshes as geometry and not just bones only.

What do you mean as geometry? what I need to check or do in order to export them as ones?

Test your model and animation in the w3xviewer as well. Make sure you didn't make any typos in your xml in regards to referencing your animation/models etc.

It shows the same in w3xviewer (Not see the point in see them there if I can see them via max even after the export, unless it some fx only the viewer can show, the animations on both not working after export but max display them fine (bones moves, objects not)), as for the xml, I just replaced the lines of the existing animations/meshs and pretty sure I done it alright

Does your mesh disappear during the animation or at the end of it?

The mesh not disappear (unless it's HP ran out ofc), it just won't move, the bones move without the object as if they not rig to it, but before exporting they work just find in max, I can send you the max files to see for yourself if you wish

Edited by Egozi44

1. For visible meshes you select export geometry, for invisible bones you select export transform...if you need both you select both for example a tankbarrel that also doubles as launch/fx bone.

Capture.jpg

2. What works in max doesn't necessarily work ingame..that is why you have the w3x modelviewer it more or less simulates how the engine will treat the model and animations. If it doesn't work properly in the viewer wit probably won't work ingame either.

3. You said it disappears earlier, but whatever. If it won't move it means your mesh isnt linked to your bones...which probably brings us back to your wwskin issue or your export settings for your mesh/subobjects, if you are animating your mesh directly you might have to export it as transform swell and not just geometry....if you are using a wwskin modifier you can export the mesh as geometry and your bones as transform.

Didn't work for me :/

Think you could take a look on the files and see if they work after you save them?

I don't even sure I save them with the right settings

how about you just upload the file somewhere?

So I run into other similar issue

This time with the alpha orca EA made, I tried to add it sub objects for upgrade purpose;, but the objects won't move with the body

Which move me back to the older topic, I have no clue how to attach the bone to the object and then to the other bones and under what settings to save it, simply use the attach button is not good idea, and the space wrap attachment don't show any difference. ..

Dam it one of these things I need to see someone do once and then can understand wth I'm doing wrong >.>

Edited by Egozi44

How about you read some basic tutorials about linking stuff in 3ds max or the SDK doku about wwskin?

I read in what raven linked me

But guess you right, will do

I don't sure if it will explain why the exporting break stuff though (since EA's animations should have everything ready to use)

Edited by Egozi44

Nope in this case it didn't

Since the files were in the WB files and just seem to avoid the main static by any means (which result in invisible structure)

Resaving them in max solve it but the animations break apart

And beside I think it time I should learn how to make the dam bones and animation work :P

Wouldnt solve the main problem as he still needs a buildup animation for it it.

That usually the case as bibber said but I believe some of the WB objects are coded (if it possible)

It may explain the issue of why some old TW structures won't appear in game after you add them via KW's WB, but will work if you simply copy patch them from TW's WB to KW's...

Don't sure wth happen here at this point xD

Edited by Egozi44

So I was able to fix the destruction animations thanks to Zypherbullet finding some "Bibber method", and was able to make my poor construction animation to work with dummy after reading in the SDK documents

But I didn't was able to find in the guide how to Attach new dummies to existing bones, do I just need to use the attach tool?

I want to attach these new objects to the bones, and the bones to the existing bones 2.1.jpg