CyberFaction

What C&C f2p could have been and Command & Conquer's future

I know I have been dragging this on a bit but I just wanted to discuss this. If EA had released the f2p the game would've had support from the developers with new content coming out every month. I mean like how many games are supported by developers that release new content for free. Like they could have fixed what was wrong with the game asap even though that was one of the things that got the game killed and something else about politics or something. Although now that I think about it maybe they went back to the drawing board with it and gave it to a new studio. And what happens to the games future will the community take it in to their own hands or will EA find out what to do with? What do you guys think?

I cant imagine it having decent support - sure, they would have a lot of patches but since it needs to finance itself most of them would probably contain new things to sell, not free content updates.

And getting it balanced would be a hell of a job - you want the new generals to be powerfull enough to be worth buying but not powerfull enough to ruin the balance because weakening things that people just paid for with real money seems like a quick way to lose customers. Of course, everytime you add anything new, the balance might chance anyway....

And I never got the impression that EA really cared about the game either way - as far as I remember, the studio was basicly closed because EA needed to save some money on a short notice, not because of the game itself.

Edited by Stygs

I dislike the idea of f2p. If anything, they would releases patches that would break the game for those who don't buy the latest DLC. Just look at what EA did to CnC3. I spent 10 years on Linux and came back to Windows last month. I bought CnC3 and wondered why I couldn't pass the first scrin mission on easy, or the final NOD mission on normal. EA released a patch that broke the campaign and made the ai cheat too much. This is the sort of thing they'd do with f2p - break everything, unless you want to become part of the trend, or part of the multiplayer. It seems EA, among other companies, want to take gaming to the "cloud", where gaming will be out-of-reach and taken hostage from us for eternity. I'd rather buy strategy games on Steam and hope for the best.

They should have made the game paid for. But when they cancelled it they should have at least had given us the game files. And what will take gaming to the cloud do? Would everything of the game run off their servers?

And will they announce it at e3 this year?

They should have made the game paid for. But when they cancelled it they should have at least had given us the game files. And what will take gaming to the cloud do? Would everything of the game run off their servers?

I'm just taking the piss/making a joke about this dumb term "in the cloud". Everybody raves about how great it is. All it means is "on a server". But celebrities love it! They upload all their private nude pics to "the cloud" because it's trendy. Then they cry when the server is compromised.

The less server dependency a game has, the more likely I am to buy it. I thought Steam was a good idea until I found that they force the latest game patches onto users (CnC 3 single player ruined).

Like they could have fixed what was wrong with the game asap even though that was one of the things that got the game killed and something else about politics or something.

They didn't look like a team capable (or authorized) to give proper support to anything.

And what happens to the games future will the community take it in to their own hands or will EA find out what to do with? What do you guys think?

Such naive expectations are so cute.

But when they cancelled it they should have at least had given us the game files.

People who were in the closed alpha should still have the files unless they deleted them manually...

And what will take gaming to the cloud do? Would everything of the game run off their servers?

Yeah, that's the problem with it. All this "cloud" bull**** is nothing but a technological fad, same as VR, social networks and considering everything to be an expendable piece of crap that's there to make money for a month or two, then be forgotten about until the end of time.

I thought Steam was a good idea until I found that they force the latest game patches onto users (CnC 3 single player ruined).

You have two options:

1) running the -runver parameter to choose from different versions of the game, or using Bibber's version selector to achieve the same thing

2) actually look up GameFAQs or YouTube for playthrough help, many people played the TW campaign with version 1.09. On Hard. And completed it.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

I've tried runver, but they killed off the files for the old versions. As for final NOD, I've tried different strategies and it doesn't work - GDI drops off reinforcements to the phase generators. I've tried protecting the phase generators and holding the west side of the map, and I've tried attacking the GDI bases. It never worked (I tried many times). The first scrin mission is impossible with the forced patches. I did clever tricks like hiding buzzer hives behind civilian structures, and I moved my forces (and fire bases) up to Parliament and the north tib field, and eventually I was overrun. I also tried bombing their base with 8 fighters and that didn't work either, plus it cost heaps of money.

All this "cloud" bull**** is nothing but a technological fad, same as VR

I completely disagree. While I would say that they are jumping the gun and would do well to pull back a bit, this direction of technology is almost certainly the future.

I've tried runver, but they killed off the files for the old versions.

Show me a screenshot of your TW directory. That can't be right.

Show me a screenshot of your TW directory. That can't be right.

Am I looking for Core, Kane or SP?

The main directory, mostly. Core and SP should have all the needed files, else 1.09 wouldn't run properly. I want to check if you have the .skudef files for versions other than 1.00 and 1.09.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

@Cyberfaction.... Taking gaming to the cloud service? Not quite, but that's what Diablo III and Starcraft II had already done. Taking gaming to the mobile section? That is still on the uprising.

I highly doubt the new CEO of EA will do anything to revive C&C in a new direction of RTS gaming and probably by then, they will need (once again) newbie developers rather than the C&C veterans to do the job. That was what happened to C&C Generals 2 when producers hired developers with little experience with C&C and RTS gaming and that's unacceptable.

And Plokite........

Congrats on your 5000th post! :P

Edited by zocom7

The idea of having the game on their servers was most probably a bad bad bad idea. Offline games wouldn't be possible like if your internet connection is down or something. There could be server problems. And I hate DRM games with no offline play and local support(except for some games) which they weren't going to do with the f2p which was disappointing. And btw who is stupid enough to put private pics on a public server which can be hacked they can never be too secure.

Oh yeah Plotkite Congrats on 5000th post!!!

Edited by CyberFaction

I have only one skudef file that is cnc3_english_1.9.skudef

Version 1 exists in 'SP' but not in 'Kane'.

I have only one skudef file that is cnc3_english_1.9.skudef

Version 1 exists in 'SP' but not in 'Kane'.

AFAIK, the "Kane" folder dictates data for the Kane Edition of Tiberium Wars, so that's not a relevant folder for the Steam version.

I'm sending you the 1.0-1.9 skudefs via PM.

@OP,

1. The only way for us the community to take it into our own hands is to recreate everything we knew of in an older C&C,like C&C3, or genrals, which I think some mod named Generals 2 is doing on moddb somewhere.

Beyond that, no, it's not possible "take Gen F2p it into our own hands".

2. Spiffing up it up, and re releasing the game will also likelly not be a viable option. They coujld have did that with tib FPS, but never did, along with any canceled stuff they got from WW way back. It doesn't make as much sense doing this, since depending on what engine they will use for this fabled next game, it could hae all sorts of compatibility issues.

3. Also, depending on how good those former EA employees kept documentation of their work,they may or may not even know how to recreate what's there, let alone proceed in the same general direction (pun unintended)

Take it from me, who's been part of a mod team for like 5+ years, it was hell trying to re-piece everything back together after our former lead coder leaft, without leaving any documentation. I didn't do it myself, but our creative director had to, and so it our lead coder, sigh, we had no choice, that or square 1. But a company who has actual employees likely wouldn't force them to do that.

I know, on the surface, it always sounds easier, "just pick up where those last guys left off" It threw us almost took us 1.5 years to recover, alone. And we were the people who were there before. Just imagine how difficult it to be if it was totally new people.

Less headache, less trouble by just starting from scratch from a AAA buisness perspective. Paybe some of the completed art assets could be reused, but code, ya, uggg..

I'm leaving out all the IP law stuff we still have to deal with, since a company has contracts for transfer u under standard business legal .

It;s like, if your grandmother made the best apple pie ever, and it's a family dish, and then one day, a fire burns her up and all the cook books, a tragedy of course, and not just cuz of the lost apple pie.

But then your told after that your expected to figure it out, and pick up the pieces, and make the apple pie, just as she did, your like, but how, and they're like, here are the ashes of her, the house, and all the cook books, figure it out. Your life, and our family name depends on it. IDK why, maybe there secretly your family has a log standing tradition of having the eldest female of each generation be the "Evil Queen", who has to poison "Snow White", every 7 year to renew the ferry Tale for the generations to come.

A dam bind right?