Sign in to follow this  
someguy11

Turretless Specter

I've changed the specter's TurretTurnRate to 0, so the specter must turn its body to fire.

However, after turning to face the target and firing a single shell,

it just stops shooting, but with its barrel still in the firing position

Set the MaxDeflectionClockwise and MaxDeflectionAntiClockwise to 0, never the turn rate, otherwise it cannot reacquire the target.

Try setting a AcceptableAimDelta in your weapon itself to go along with those settings....or change the turret angles to something like 1. I'm thinking it will need one of those settings to be able to target something.

But honestly if you are not using the turret, remove all the turret coding and just use a <WeaponSlotHardpoint> instead together with a AcceptableAimDelta in your weapon.

The specter gun was given an AcceptableAimDelta of 5d, but it didn't completely solve its shooting problem.

I want to keep the turret (unless WeaponSlotHardpoint can generate the same result?) to have the specter become somewhat like the classic RA/TD turretless artillery that I've seen in some TW mods

What result are you aiming for then? Because i don't understand the point of having a turret if it isn't allowed to rotate? That basically just makes it a hardpoint.

You will never get get the set up to work how you want, and it is a waste of time people trying to help you.

This has been attempted and discussed for years and the bottom line is that you will never get it to work satisfactorily.

I eventually got rid of my M110 artillery because of all the unsolvable problems that are caused.

If you want a static turret artillery, except all the issues that this brings.

What result are you aiming for then? Because i don't understand the point of having a turret if it isn't allowed to rotate? That basically just makes it a hardpoint.

I want the specter's barrel to tilt upwards before firing and then lower after it has finished attacking,

but not rotate like a tank's turret

No artillery unit that I know cannot rotate when firing except rocket tanks like V3 or V4 Rocket Launcher and Tomahawk Launcher.

Have you tried experimenting the AT-22 Hunter from C&C4? I believe that turret barely turns when it fires, unless the body and weapon range is pointed straight at the enemy.

Edited by zocom7

IIRC The Hunter Was Supposed to be that way, But EA changed it from artillery to normal tank

I think there's other way to do it rather then "xmling", and that attach the turret to the body with max or delete the bone that move (don't sure about the second one though)

If we attach the turret to the body they both will rotate to the target if we make the weapon's to be able to shoot only in lines or at least from the front, Or just tell it to face target

DK if it will work though :P

Edited by Egozi44

if you turn the whole chassis into a turret you might be able to mimic something of the sorts. You could try to make the ROOTTRANFORM the turretbone..altho i am not sure if that will work(well). Other then that would mean linking the body mesh/vertices to the TurretNameKey bone. And the barrel to the turretPitch bone. Because of the Deploystyle ai it should work only when deployed as in not moving.

The Devourer is basically that. But keep in mind doing so will let it look as if glides above the terrain, which only works well with hover vehicles.

Edited by Lauren

The Devourer is basically that. But keep in mind doing so will let it look as if glides above the terrain, which only works well with hover vehicles.

Iirc both the juggernaught and spectre use the deployai and canfirewhilemoving=false....won't that combo prevent it from moving/turning while it prepares to attack? Now personaly i don't really like the deploy system in regards that it goes through its deploy animation everytime it targets a new unit, but that is a whole different issue.

Also keep in mind that some gamemechanics (like directional armor) are independent from the model rotation and may lead to weird results.

Honestly, I would remove the turret and make the raising barrel part of the PreAttack animation.

Iirc both the juggernaught and spectre use the deployai and canfirewhilemoving=false....won't that combo prevent it from moving/turning while it prepares to attack? Now personaly i don't really like the deploy system in regards that it goes through its deploy animation everytime it targets a new unit, but that is a whole different issue.

It doesn't prevent the unit from sliding over the ground when not firing.

Speaking on turning, seem like the Spector stealth model not in sync with the default model (or not move at all? Don't remeber)

There's a way to sync them together so it will look better?

Speaking on turning, seem like the Spector stealth model not in sync with the default model (or not move at all? Don't remeber)

There's a way to sync them together so it will look better?

The stealth effect is a separate model in a new draw. You either animate it or link it to a existing bone in the original draw. So either they neglected the animation or the 2 draws are not linked....it probably is one of those reason i reckon.

Also keep in mind that some gamemechanics (like directional armor) are independent from the model rotation and may lead to weird results.

Honestly, I would remove the turret and make the raising barrel part of the PreAttack animation.

Yeh that is a good point, you would also get weird contactpoint effects i imagine.

The stealth effect is a separate model in a new draw. You either animate it or link it to a existing bone in the original draw. So either they neglected the animation or the 2 draws are not linked....it probably is one of those reason i reckon.

Yea I'm aware of it, I made such model in max and noticed all the separate model things on the way, I think simply animate it won't cut it since they both need to move to the same direction which is random (also the idle turning thing is not really animation iirc), mixing the models on the other hand by attaching them one on another may work... but it probably will look funny?

Actually if we attach them they will count as one object and that will ruin the separate shader thingy...

So maybe we can try attach the bones or anything of sort? (As you mentioned)

Edited by Egozi44

Yea I'm aware of it, I made such model in max and noticed all the separate model things on the way, I think simply animate it won't cut it since they both need to move to the same direction which is random (also the idle turning thing is not really animation iirc), mixing the models on the other hand by attaching them one on another may work... but it probably will look funny?

Actually if we attach them they will count as one object and that will ruin the separate shader thingy...

So maybe we can try attach the bones or anything of sort? (As you mentioned)

I didn't say attach models which you do in max....i said "link it to a existing bone in the original draw" which you just do in the xml.

AttachToBoneInAnotherModule=""

Actually it seem we don't need to mess with the CTR for it (which works) or add bone relate command (which didn't work xD)

It seem EA just forgot to add some animations to the stealth model which we can easily add back ^^...

It look better that way compared to add both meshs to the CTR (since if we use the CTR method, in really damage state the models will switch to the other right away rather than fading in a few seconds, which look less realistic imo)

Edited by Egozi44

This removes the turret altogether though (the barrel doesn't tilt up or down anymore)

I just did a small test and all you need to do to the original specter is to remove the turret setting in the draw:

<Turret
    TurretNameKey="BONE_TURRET"
    TurretID="1" />

It doesn't use any pitch bone so you can completely remove the node. Done.

Also I suggest setting ReAcquireDetailType to "PRE_FIRE" in the weapons.