Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rabbit

Bert and Nick Do Science! - My latest stop-motion work

Guest Rabbit

Hey guys. Just figured I'd post an update to some of what I've been up to the past few months.

As of a week ago, I've started releasing new videos that are a part of a series I'm putting together, called "Bert and Nick Do Science!"

Feel free to take a look at the first two episodes I've put out!

The series is based on an idea I had back when I was working on Season 2 of C&C Legos, called "Teenage Einstein." It was based on a rather weird dream I had, and it sort of fizzled out into nothing. Until like... 10 years later.

Bert and Nick is basically an Americanized version of Albert Einstein and Nikola Tesla, as they work together on different science experiments. Ocasionally, their friend Marie (based on Marie Curie) stops by to "help."

I'm also working on a few other stop motion projects. Basically, it took me a few years to figure out what I really wanted to do with my stop motion work, and this is the culmination of my efforts... so far, anyway.

Let me know what you think!

It's good. I like that it almost sounds science-y and then completely throws science out the window without trying to remain plausible, you pull this bait and switch off better than most Hollywood script writers.

I have only two criticisms, both relatively minor:

Firstly your voice acting, although it is possibly your best effort to date, it is still not great. However, I imagine you are already quite aware of this, and I'm sure it is very hard finding someone else who is interested, good enough, available, and dependable.

The second thing is that Bert seems to be the only one doing anything, Nick is essentially his bumbling lab assistant and Marie is the cliché female cast member who stands off to the side and laughs at the male antics while keeping her own hands clean. But since this is only two episodes, perhaps you have more plans yet unseen.

I like them! I see an innocent and casual take on science that wants to be fun instead of "technobabble". Looking forward to more!

Guest Rabbit

Firstly your voice acting, although it is possibly your best effort to date, it is still not great. However, I imagine you are already quite aware of this, and I'm sure it is very hard finding someone else who is interested, good enough, available, and dependable.

Oh man am I aware of this. It was hard enough getting a dependable voice actor for the C&C Legos series, at this point, I'm trying to run things on my own. Considering I took a bit of a sabbatical on making stop motion videos as a whole, I feel I also need to really find my groove and get back into things. I've thankfully bought a new microphone so I can increase the quality of the recordings, but now I need to actually see how I can make each character's voice more unique. It helps to have Heather (the female voice / my wife) around, at least I don't have to voice the female characters myself anymore, but yeah, this is something that is one of the biggest hurdles for me, the voice work.

The second thing is that Bert seems to be the only one doing anything, Nick is essentially his bumbling lab assistant and Marie is the cliché female cast member who stands off to the side and laughs at the male antics while keeping her own hands clean. But since this is only two episodes, perhaps you have more plans yet unseen.

Yeah, for the time being, I'm trying to establish characters. Truth be told though, I have a mental image for how I want the characters to work, I just need to get better at actually expressing it. I find it interesting that you refer to Nick as the bumbling lab assistant, because in my mind, Bert is supposed to be the reckless one and Nick is supposed to be the more grounded one, though I clearly had trouble expressing them in that manner, especially considering Nick intentionally went overboard with Bert's experiment in the second episode.

Thankfully, there will be more character development to come, with future episodes. Nick will get a few turns with experiments of his own, too.

As for Marie, she is actually intended to be the smarter of the three. She doesn't exactly keep her hands clean, at least not permanently, but again, it's only been two episodes and I can't quite tell you everything, I'll just have to show you when the time comes. :)

I like them! I see an innocent and casual take on science that wants to be fun instead of "technobabble". Looking forward to more!

Whelp, you'll see more. Going to take a break from Bert and Nick to put out a military series premier video next weekend (Thinking of "Conflict of Arms" or something like that for the name), but I have many more of these videos planned. :)

Bert is supposed to be the reckless one and Nick is supposed to be the more grounded one ... As for Marie, she is actually intended to be the smarter of the three.

I find this portrayal to be... interesting, considering Einstein was pretty grounded, Tesla was eccentric to say the least, and Curie unintentionally killed herself with her own tools of the trade.

Guest Rabbit

Yeah, in some ways I based it off of my "teenage" Einstein concept. Like they're in their rebellious years, wherein they act differently. Or something like that. Idunno. I guess I'll just have to develop them as the episodes progress. I basically just don't want the same Einstein that I had in my C&C Legos series.

Edited by Rabbit

Zee, is Heather getting tired of you making Lego videos, or she is still enjoying them ever since?

I wish you still had the old Einstein voice back in C&C Legos.

Guest Rabbit

Zee, is Heather getting tired of you making Lego videos, or she is still enjoying them ever since?

Heather's never gotten tired of them, and even helps with female voices when she can.