Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

A Tough Day - Something All Pet Owners Must Face

So its been a tough day for me. Over the past few weeks I noticed a change in the behaviour of our cat, who is only 9 years old. He just doesn't do anything that he used to used do. Changed his sleeping and eating habits, well basically just sleeps all the time spread out on the floor. He's lost a lot of weight as well, which was really concerning me. So it was off for a trip to the vet Wednesday morning. After the vet completed the examination I got the dreaded diagnosis, he has some form of cancer that’s taking over. And the poor little guy only has a matter of weeks left.

I wasn't prepared to hear what the vet told me, it really got to me. I'm man enough to admit I shed a tear or two. So we are now facing the hard choice of having him put to sleep rather than having him spend his remaining time like this. Sadly he may be gone next week.

I'm sure any of you who have lost a pet knows how I feel today :(

I'm sorry to hear that.

A pet becomes a part of you very quickly, almost like a family member, which is why these news hurt so much.

I'm sorry to hear about your pet, Sonic.

Just reminding to every pet owner in America (and around the world), the people controlling the pet population had to spay or neuter the pets when necessary to avoid having health and/or birth issues.

Edited by zocom7

I know the feeling. You should have seen six year old me when I came home to my cat screeching and wailing in pain because she got hit by a car. Still makes me teary eyed to this day. That damn cat loved me. Like... seriously.

Dammit. Now my feels are sad. :(

My family cat is 13 years old so I'm concerned about his health. He had to move house recently so I've been feeding him better quality food, to keep him happy and compensate him for stress. He lies on the carpet a lot as if he can't be bothered standing, but he'll rush to me now that I am The Bringer Of Food. The cat is a grey tabby.

I think that cats deserve better food and entertainment. At a previous address of mine, there was a black cat who was owned by a very old woman, the cat was often bored. The black cat had a unique personality: he would lie down and then claw the carpet, dragging himself along the floor ^_^ He seemed bored so I got him fighting with a stick and he loved that. If I ran around the house he would run after me. Definitely a good friendship. If a cat gives you an adoring (or excited) look then you've done well. Food guarantees that, but it's better if they give you an approving look when you play with them.

<3 cats

Another cat I played with a lot was traumatised by the 2011 earthquake and she had no confidence. She would jump up to the window but couldn't get down. I would move a vase for her and she would get down okay. This cat turned out alright, despite being anxious in the beginning. Her owner also had a grey tabby who walked around with a pretentious posture, as if he owned the street. I ruined my friendship with that cat by awkwardly trying to pick him up. But even after I moved out, I visited the cat again several weeks later and he would still recognise and headbump me to say hi, but nothing more. Cats have their own system of etiquette. Although they might seem stupid and absent minded that's just their instinct to rush around and be stimulated by everything. Beyond that they are very social and appreciative.

Edited by jeffnz

Well he's gone now, hopefully to a better place. Based on what I observed from him over the weekend I know the right choice was made. He just seemed to be getting worse day by day. I can take comfort that he went peacefully and pain free. But damn it, still makes me hurt though. I could not wait in the room while the vets did what they had to do, so I chose to wait in the waiting area. Once the vet told me he had passed I broke down a little. Like I said before the other day, I'm man enough to admit I had a cry. I've got lots of photos and memories of him so he will not be forgotten.

Z6cK5H5.jpg

Goodbye my little friend :(

Guest Stevie_K

My condolences to you. :(

My cat has diagnosed cancer of lactic nipple. During surgery vet had to remove not only the nipple, but part of the muscle and lymph nodes. She was fine for few days, but lately she stopped pooping. Prolly cancer took intestines, but she still behaves quite normal. Likes to play around, eat... today even drunk milk from my milk soup.

She might have few weeks. Maybe months. I doubt she'll last for a year or so... so yeah, prolly i'll have to make same decision in near future.

Its a good sign your cat is active, still walking around freely etc but the change in toilet habbits doesn't sound positive... mine was not so lucky. Poor little guy had no energy and would just stay spread out on the floor all day only moving to eat or drink or go to the toilet. In his last couple of day he was struggling to do that. I'm over the fact that he's gone, well I still get sad when see I a photo of him (like the one above). But still I'm angry at the cancer that cut his life short.

I would suggest you watch your cat carefully, if you notice a change in how she acts each day, eats, sleeps and so forth, don't let the poor thing suffer.