Sign in to follow this  
TaxOwlbear

Zero Hour - version differences?

I recently re-installed Generals and Zero Hour via the UK version of TFD. I didn't install the unofficial patch because the unofficial TFD patch did give me issues in the past (namely with Renegade), and I don't think the unofficial patch is all that necessary just for Generals/Zero Hour.

Anyway, I noticed two things: The scene in the opening menu is frozen. Was that implemented with a later patch? I know many people didn't liek it back in the day because it was straining their machines.

Also, when I start the Generals' Challenge, I get the portrait and everything, but I don't get the announcer saying, say "General Ranger versus Dr. Tharx!". When was that removed? Is that an issue with my version? I'm sure that was in the Deluxe Edition (to which I don't have access to ATM for comparison).

Anyway, I noticed two things: The scene in the opening menu is frozen. Was that implemented with a later patch? I know many people didn't liek it back in the day because it was straining their machines.

That's unrelated, if you mean that it displays a static background instead of the animation we all know. Unless you're running the game with the -quickstart parameter, I don't know what may cause that.

Also, when I start the Generals' Challenge, I get the portrait and everything, but I don't get the announcer saying, say "General Ranger versus Dr. Tharx!". When was that removed? Is that an issue with my version? I'm sure that was in the Deluxe Edition (to which I don't have access to ATM for comparison).

That's quite odd, too.

The TFD 1.03 r4 patch only replaces the executables with those that don't require the disc, and one added mission that was cut from the game. Either the exes are wacky or there are some specific installation problems.

That's unrelated, if you mean that it displays a static background instead of the animation we all know. Unless you're running the game with the -quickstart parameter, I don't know what may cause that.

I'm not using that. Is there an option in one of the config file to get back the animated background?

The TFD 1.03 r4 patch only replaces the executables with those that don't require the disc, and one added mission that was cut from the game. Either the exes are wacky or there are some specific installation problems.

Well, I'm not even using the TFD patch. I'll try the unofficial and the official patches and see what happens.

Last time I did a Gen/ZH run through a few months ago, I also had static menu backgrounds in both games. I was also using TFD, I don't remember what patches I have, but I'm not convinced any patches are at fault, because I'm pretty sure I didn't download anything new between the time it was animated and the time it wasn't. Since the game itself didn't seem broken, I just ignored it.

I didn't notice if there was anything wrong with the General's Challenges, as my play through only went through the campaigns. However, I just started it up and I do indeed lack the announcer's voice as well.

You need to run the games in XP SP3 compatibility mode and also run them as administrator.

Tested; that does fix the issue.

I've been using the TFD version (1.03) myself for two years now and haven't had that issue.

I believe the unofficial TFD patch sets the above compatibility settings for you.

Tested; that does fix the issue.

The static background image and/or the announcer voice?

Both.

Sweet!

While we are already discussing this: Is there a way to have the unofficial TFD patch apply changes only to selected games? I want to restore the GLA mission, but I don't want the other games to be patched, and I don't have access to my Deluxe Edition right now.

Only install the games you want to patch, then apply 1.03. After that, re-visit the setup manually and tick the games you don't want patched.

Make sure the patcher is run as admin, though. When I installed it for the first time on Win7, I forgot to do that and files for the games I didn't even install were dumped into the TFD directory (which might not be a bad thing for you, you can isolate the executables and use them to remove the need for the DVD).

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Download the Black Sheep mission here, and follow the instructions on how to install it here.

Thanks. I want to record the mission as part of an LP, though, and don't want to uninstall the TFD games and then reinstall them, so I'm probably just dig out my Deluxe Edition copy.

Small update: Black Sheep is still included in the UK version of TFD, so there's no need to restore it.

There is no special UK version of TFD, it's all one unified English release. And... Black Sheep was cut before Generals was released, and wasn't made public until a few years later by APOC. The fact that you have it is the result of the 1.03 TFD patch.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

I didn't install TFD 1.03. If I did, I wouldn't need the CD anymore (which I do). Maybe I installed another patch for that that I don't remember.