MackRaven

Extended units' voicepack in vanilla RA2

Hi.

I really like the Yuri's Revenge thing that all units have own voices (mostly vehicles) instead of same voice for all vehicles in RA2. Is there any mod or guide how can I activate(?) these voices in vanilla RA2?

Thanks.

• Like 1

It is less straightforward than you may expect.

First you would have to copy the audio files from YR to RA2, which you can do with the XCC Mixer's Sound Editor (you can find a download for XCC Utilities in the Modding Tools sticky thread in this forum).

However, even after you have the audio, you then would need to code them all in sound.ini and then tell what units use which voices in rules.ini.

That's a lot of work, and the boring kind too. Possibly someone else has already done this and could save you the trouble... if you can actually find it (maybe some other people here more familiar with mod archives could help you with that). Otherwise, unless you really want this, have a lot of time to spend, and don't mind extremely repetitive work that will most likely take several days to finish, I wouldn't recommend doing it.

If you are willing for the challenge, I can explain in more detail exactly what you would need to do, although I haven't done any work with sound.ini for a while and would probably need to refresh my memory.

• Like 1

Thank you for a detailed answer.

I have XCC Mixer and there were times when I extracted music and video files from CnC games. Now I have looked through the mix files I have in the RA2 folder and found nothing. Where I need to look? i have The First Decade RA2 (RA2 and YR in same folder).

Please, write down the process I need to do. I won't do it in one day anyways, I'll do it slowly unit by unit.

Thanks.

• Like 1

The sounds are accessed differently, you have to launch the Sound Editor. And by "launch", I mean from the Launch menu.

• Like 1

I've found Sound editor. Now, I need rules.ini of RA2, right? I've found rulesmd.ini from YR, but no trace of RA2 one. Where can I find it?

In rulesmd.ini there are a strings like:

VoiceSelect=ConscriptSelect
VoiceMove=ConscriptMove
VoiceAttack=ConscriptAttackCommand
VoiceFeedback=ConscriptFear
VoiceSpecialAttack=ConscriptMove
DieSound=ConscriptDie

So I need to enter right group of sounds name for each unit, right? Where can I find these grup names?

• Like 1

Yes, for RA2, you need to edit sound.ini and rules.ini, soundmd.ini and rulesmd.ini are YR.

I'm not sure how you extract the ini files, I just use loose default ini files from a stash I have of them. Unfortunately, my stash is all for YR, so I don't have a copy of sound.ini to give you. Perhaps you can find a copy by Googling it.

The group names are what you have to create in sound.ini; this is where the majority of the work comes in. The game needs to know how to use the audio files, so you have to tell it in sound.ini. You could copy/paste the entries from soundmd.ini to make things a little faster though.

Remember to add the labels of new entries to the end of this list: [soundList]

And make sure there aren't any old entries with the same name as a new one you are adding.

Ha, found clean ini files in sticky thread here. Found sound.ini file and clean ra2 rules.ini file. A lot of work...

One question, new sounds I want to specify for units. Do RA2 contain these? Do I need to repack .mix files? And where Sound Editor get these sounds? Are they in some .mix file?

Edited by MackRaven
  • Like 1

New sounds were added to YR, so they did not exist yet in RA2. You can copy audio files using the Sound Editor pretty easily - if I remember correctly, dragging and dropping them works.

As for where the Sound Editor finds them, I don't know. When modding, I rarely ever looked for answers before I needed to know them.

• Like 1

There is no need for copy! I was just exaggerating.

Made work Mirage tank, Prism tank, IFV so far. When it comes to chrono miner found this VoiceHarvest=ChronoMinerHarvest. There is no unit in RA2 that use 'VoiceHarvest' variable. So when I send miner for harvest it remains silent. Where it is declared?

Edited by MackRaven
  • Like 1

VoiceHarvest was added for YR.

Did the miners normally say something when ordered to harvest in default RA2? If no, then there is probably nothing you can do about it. If yes, it must have used one of the other available voices, like attack or move.

• Like 1

Strange. After I've installed the Win10 - these .ini files stoped working. Maybe some write/read rights? Or Win10 problems.

Nmenth, you were talking about the coping the files from the .mmx file. Where should I put them in the game directory?

Edited by MackRaven
  • Like 1

Strange. After I've installed the Win10 - these .ini files stoped working. Maybe some write/read rights? Or Win10 problems.

It's just that your User Account Control may be online now that you've installed Windows 10. Deactivate it from the Control Panel.

• Like 1

Nmenth, you were talking about the coping the files from the .mmx file. Where should I put them in the game directory?

Um... I didn't say anything about .mmx files, I'm not sure what you are talking about.
  • Like 1

It's just that your User Account Control may be online now that you've installed Windows 10. Deactivate it from the Control Panel.

It's offline, I've already turned it off.

Um... I didn't say anything about .mmx files, I'm not sure what you are talking about.

My bad, .mix files - where everything is stored in RA2/YR

• Like 1

If you are pulling files out of a .mix, you can just leave them loose in the RA2 folder.

• Like 1

If you are pulling files out of a .mix, you can just leave them loose in the RA2 folder.

That not helped. I've just created new .mix file with all audio files inside and it works now.

• Like 2

On 19/11/2016 at 2:41 AM, MackRaven said:

That not helped. I've just created new .mix file with all audio files inside and it works now.

can i please have a copy of those files? i am staring to get really bored hearing vanilla quotes for the allied and soviet vehicles of vanilla RA2 =( oh btw i downloaded that zip file called done from before and so far it has not worked =( for me at least. i am running on windows 10 btw.

Edited by crawford4152
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, crawford4152 said:

can i please have a copy of those files? i am staring to get really bored hearing vanilla quotes for the allied and soviet vehicles of vanilla RA2 =( oh btw i downloaded that zip file called done from before and so far it has not worked =( for me at least. i am running on windows 10 btw.

You'll need patched language.mix. It's size is 69 mb and I can't post it here.

• Like 2

On 25/08/2019 at 6:24 PM, MackRaven said:

You'll need patched language.mix. It's size is 69 mb and I can't post it here.

Hi! You still have these files? Can you send them to me please?

It can save me a lot of work and time!

• Like 1