Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Brexit has made history

Yes, the UK (aka Britain) had passed the referendum vote from the people (52% to 48%), allowing UK to leave the European Union (or EU for short). That result triggered the resignation of the UK Prime Minister and an instant meltdown to the global economy. The possible impact to Australia and New Zealand relying on UK's relations will be great.

What do you think about this?

Even Donald Trump approves the idea.

Edited by zocom7

I never liked the idea of these unions, so **** 'em. At least now the UK can make their own decisions!

The moment Trump endorses it you know it is a ****ed up thing.

Score another one for the isolationists and fear mongers. The only ones benefiting from this are those in the political chair dance, everyone else is getting screwed over in the long run.

So many ****ed up decisions based on fear, hate and ignorance.

At least now the UK can make their own decisions!

Well, right now they are still a member of the EU and if they want to trade with the EU they still need to follow EU rules so they didnt win to much in terms of "making own decisions"

Shame about losing a major EU member, but the UK allways had a special place in the EU and I think they going to sufer a lot more from this decision than the EU.

But I cant help and wonder how it plays out for Scotland and Nothern Ireland in the long run...

Personally, I got the impression that the whole Brexit thing was mainly done by some politicians to keep themself in the news and they are just as supprissed as anyone else.

Edited by Stygs

Yes, the UK (aka Britain)

Learn geography.

I never liked the idea of these unions, so **** 'em. At least now the UK can make their own decisions!

The EU is a great idea on paper, as it allows worker and student mobility and equal standard for all. The fact that they basically ignore their weaker countries like Romania, Bulgaria and Croatia is a different story.

Good idea, but it focuses on words more than the spirit, much like the UN and the League of Nations before it.

Well, right now they are still a member of the EU and if they want to trade with the EU they still need to follow EU rules so they didnt win to much in terms of "making own decisions"

I understand they'll even pay more than they had to just for the reason of being a third-party state.

But I cant help and wonder how it plays out for Scotland and Nothern Ireland in the long run...

Scots will likely repeat their referendum, and Northern Ireland's separatist streams are getting louder.

Personally, I got the impression that the whole Brexit thing was mainly done by some politicians to keep themself in the news and they are just as supprissed as anyone else.

Pretty much, even the UKIP leader admitted their argument with paying paying 350 million pounds per week to the EU was a mistake :haha:

Scotland will now very very likely break away from the UK with a landslide vote...

It can even take a few years before the UK leaves the EU. They have like 2 years to proverbially move out the furniture. In that time they still benefit from their trade agreements and eu regulations, after that they have to re-negotiate for everything. The loudmouth politicians that pushes this fiasco have nothing to worry about as for the next 2 years they can ride the administration paper wave thill the UK effectively leaves the EU. By then the new negotiations will be someone else his problem.

And i am pretty sure the EU will come down hard on the UK, in the end this all about power and control and they have to set a example that leaving is a bad choice, they have to demotivate that train of thought, for the EU as a whole to survive.

And it is not the politicians, but businesses, big and small and the people that will suffer for that.

I think it is going to get worse before it gets better. Atleast in a year or 2, when they effectively leave the EU.

Where the **** did this bull**** media created "Brexit" word come from? I know its "Britain" and "exit" combined but what’s with the crap combo?

Where the **** did this bull**** media created "Brexit" word come from? I know its "Britain" and "exit" combined but what’s with the crap combo?

It's shorter term than "Britain vote for exit". Isn't it?

They have like 2 years to proverbially move out the furniture.

Less. Jean Claude Juncker (chief of EU Commission) said yesterday, that due to will of British people, UK government has to leave EU structures as quickly and swiftly as possible. I bet EU now wants to throw UK as soon as possible on worst agreements they can manage. "You won't play by our rules? Then get lost to your isles!".

And i am pretty sure the EU will come down hard on the UK, in the end this all about power and control and they have to set a example that leaving is a bad choice, they have to demotivate that train of thought, for the EU as a whole to survive.

UK wasn't the main core of EU. They joined European Commonwealth of Coal and Steel (former organization on which EU was formed) as last major power. They didn't accept Euro. They didn't signed full "Charter of Fundamental Right in EU" (like Poland). They wasn't even in Schengen Treaty (borderless travel).

Main question now is how France will react. In next year they have presidential elections, and Marie LePen (eurosceptic) is major candidate for this office. if she win the elections, she can call for referendum. French are more euroenthusiastic, but immigration issue may be an argument for eurosceptics to take the lead and persuade France to leave EU. If so, only Germany is left with it's Euro and then whole organization will be disbanded.

Also Wilders from Netherlands want to call for national vote about this issue.

We definitely live in interesting times. Personally, i like the federation idea for EU. But i guess it's still to early to merge all motherlands and fatherlands in Europe into one organism.

How cute

New Zealand being in personal union with UK is a bad union i guess...

Edited by Traymen

Where the **** did this bull**** media created "Brexit" word come from?

They stole it from Grexit, which is quite possibly an even stupider word.

I hope that the departure works out for the better, not for the sake of the UK (not that I wish it misfortune), but for the sake of the world's view on change. It seems so many people are content with the status quo and refuse to shake the figurative boat. Shaking the boat isn't always a good thing, but people need to be more willing to consider it as an option.

After so many various referendums for various objectives from various countries all just fall flat and change nothing, some major decision like this needs to work out and show the world that sometimes change is good.

They stole it from Grexit, which is quite possibly an even stupider word.

I know even more stupid sentence: "Let's make America Great Again!".

I hope that the departure works out for the better, not for the sake of the UK (not that I wish it misfortune), but for the sake of the world's view on change.

Because of pound sterling drop yesterday, UK is now 3rd European economy. Their place took France. I highly doubt they can run better outside EU.

Edited by Traymen

I know even more stupid sentence: "Let's make America Great Again!".

That's Trump's line. :P I highly doubt anyone in the UK would say "let's make Britain great again."

It can even take a few years before the UK leaves the EU. They have like 2 years to proverbially move out the furniture.

Got even more time - they need to formally declare their intention to leave to the EU before the 2 year timeframe kicks in (and the negations start). And even the two years could be expanded if needed.

Scotland will now very very likely break away from the UK with a landslide vote...

I doubt it - as the Brexit shows, public opinion can easily change in a couple of month and I would give people time to cool down before making any rash decision about scotland.

So far, only one thing is certain - Cameron left his mark on the UK and will be remembered for a long time - one way or another.

Because of pound sterling drop yesterday, UK is now 3rd European economy. Their place took France. I highly doubt they can run better outside EU.

What happened in the immediate aftermath has no relevance to the long term. Whether this turns out for the better or worse in the future is currently unknown and unknowable.

What happened in the immediate aftermath has no relevance to the long term. Whether this turns out for the better or worse in the future is currently unknown and unknowable.

Since '80s UK didn't signed any trade treaty with another country. All agreements done by EU with other international subjects, have to be once again discussed by Britain alone. Japanese two days before referendum encouraged British people to stay within EU, because in their opinion Brexit will complicate businesses between those two countries (definitely it will). Moreover we are not talking only about trade agreements, but also regulations. Most of those were done by EU parliament, and Westminster will have to make new ones only by themselves. It's easier to say than done. Also the EU grants matter is needed to be mentioned. Scots and Cornwall lived mostly by agricultural subsidies. I've seen nice drawing on BBC News were UK was shooting "foot" (Cornwall) itself. Oh, and did i mentioned about duty fees that UK will have to pay to sell their products on EU market?

Their decision will lead them nowhere. Maybe US will buy something from them, but if they sign TTIP with EU i highly doubt that even Trump will like to make deals with uncompetitive economy. In my country there is now huge discussion what will happen with our folks living in Great Britain. Those who worked for 5 years will get a permanent residence card... but what with the others? There's 700k Poles at least in UK (some say even 2 mln but it's hard to tell), and few more hundreds of thousands of Lithuanians, Czechs, Hungarians etc.

UK will plunge now. It's not Norway or Switzerland who made agreements with EU on partner level. After Jucker statement, i feel that EU Commission wants to kick of UK as fast as possible, treating Brits like bastards. Especially, when there are high chances that Scots will make their referendum, which more likely will be in favor for leaving UK and rejoining with EU. Same goes for Northern Ire... England will stay with Wales and this will be the end of United Kingdom.

Unless France will also leave...

Edited by Traymen

I doubt it - as the Brexit shows, public opinion can easily change in a couple of month and I would give people time to cool down before making any rash decision about scotland.

The head of Scottish gov't says it's only a matter of time the referendum is repeated.

Why do you think so? A lot of the benefits the EU gave the UK will be lost and they'll have to re-negotiate quite a lot when they finally leave the Union. They will basically be alone, and with no relevant domestic industry to speak of, they'll take a long while to recoup.

I found this petition article redundant

If they cared that much, they should have voted the first time. Idiots.

Traymen, nothing of what you said changes what I said. Anything that happens within the next few years is short term and completely irrelevant to the future. The world is not going to turn its back on the UK forever just because everyone wants to act like a bunch of spiteful children.

What will the UK look like in 2116? Will it still even exist? Who knows... not me, not you, not the politicians, not the economists, not the talking heads on the television, and not the internet bloggers.

Was leaving the EU the most rational or wisest decision? Now that is a different question, one of which I am not commenting on. I merely stated that I hope it turns out for the better.

The country just go driven against the wall, and all because of Tory party management and because of and old generation that dreams of a past that never existed. Great.

You do know what a portmanteau is, right?