Sign in to follow this  
dvs1

Non-Aggressive nor Engaging Unit

I got the Mini Orca that's used in the bombing runs super power to work. Hooked it up with weapon, experience, etc, everything.

However, it's a rather dense thing. I have it set to be an Air-to-Air attack only, a flying version of the Slingshot basically. It's doing 2 things which make it nearly worthless.

1) It won't attack unless something is practically on top of it. Meaning if I tell it to engage, it will move to that spot and then engage. Also, if something like, like a Stormrider, is flying around it it does nothing unless told to or the Stormrider swings right next to it.

2) All modes are the same. Aggressive, Guard... no difference.

The attack range is set to 355, but it does nothing until a target is less than 30 away from it. It *can* shoot at the range specified, but it does not engage. Why?

I wanted to set the gun firing from the bones, fx_weapon_01 & 02, but don't know how to do that yet. I used the AA Battery fx, but only get a single fire from the area of bone 01 about 10 in front of it, which I can live with but to clean it up I was looking for a way to make it also fire from bone 02 and bring the fx closer, like the AA Battery or Slingshot does when its firing.

Any ideas?

You'd better copy the stormrider or orca code and just change the <draw/> module of miniorca to the new unit.

1)The problem can be caused by different sorts of reasons. Maybe JetAI, maybe weapon turret set, or tag of Kindof. And weapon itself may also causes bug. If change Avatarlaser to raidertanklaser the tank will directly fire without turn turret or mainbody, and avatar will just like your mini orca—— only fire one shot when totally face to target.

2)You sure your stance is right? Also may relate to JetAI, viceroid is special and mini orca may either.

Edited by ztz2019

I reset it to be anti ground and increased the initial lock range from 100 to 450. That's helped it improve a lot for what it should be doing. I wanted it to be anti-air only, but it seems to do much better when it has ground units to target. When its on a waypoint mode, it appears to be and remain active instead of 'going to sleep', as it were.

weapon range =/= engagement range. To have a unit engage from further away set its vision range higher.

If it has a weapon range of 300 and the miniorca has a vision range of 180 it will basicly only work at have the range.

Think like real life artillery basicly:

artillery will shoot at what it can see, but if you have troops spot for it it can shoot much further...duck tape the ****ing hubble telescope to the artillery and it will see much further but still fire at its max weapon range. Make sense?

Have a look at the orca kindofs and jetai...depending on those settings a unit can attack, chase or reaquire targets etc , after you done the vision range thing tune those settings.

Make sure your weapon can pitch up enough...if it can't pitch up enough it might not be able to target aircraft higher then itself(terrain increases height/pitch)

Edited by Ravendark
  • Upvote 1

The vision was 180. That was the problem. I adjusted the vision to equal the attack range and everything works like it should now. I only thought of that in relation to buildings, not unit too but it makes sense.

I'm still working on getting it to two-fire like the Hammerhead does, which is where I borrowed a majority of the coding from for this.

I notice also that a unit marker, shader, whatever you want to call it, now appears on the ground where it didn't before. Sadly, I haven't a clue which bit of coding I added to make this now appear.

I'm still working on getting it to two-fire like the Hammerhead does, which is where I borrowed a majority of the coding from for this.

I notice also that a unit marker, shader, whatever you want to call it, now appears on the ground where it didn't before. Sadly, I haven't a clue which bit of coding I added to make this now appear.

If the miniorca has the bone setup in its model, open the w3x file and see what they are called then add them as weaponlaunchbone/firefxbone etc. Else you might need to export the model into max and add the bones.

take a screenshot of that marker thing so i understand what you mean.

The miniorca has 3 bones. Fx_bomb, fx_weapon_01, and fx_weapon_02.

The orange place marker as shown here with the pink predator tank.

post-10465-0-95331500-1467525273_thumb.jpg

I noticed the Mini didn't have one and made a mental note to add it... and apparently I did and cannot recall which bit of code I added to make it show.

The selection decal under the unit is the decal from the ExperienceLevelTemplate, usually found in ExperienceLevels.xml.

• Upvote 1