Zion

Tiberian Sun Campaign Recreation

I originally posted about this in the PPM forums, but the CNC3 forum there is just too dead.

I recently played Tiberium Essence, and I was impressed at how close some of the units were to the TSUN counterparts. Because of this, I thought it would be cool to completely recreate the TSUN campaigns in CNC3, complete with videos, radar transmissions, etc. using TE as a base.

However, I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help me out?

That will require a lot more than just recreating the maps and using TE as base. do you have experience in modding & worldbuilder?

Making the maps isnt the problem. Combing them into a campaign and adding the movies and such is what Im unsure of--that and how to integrate it into the existing TE mod.

Making the maps isnt the problem. Combing them into a campaign and adding the movies and such is what Im unsure of--that and how to integrate it into the existing TE mod.

The maps aren't the problem, but basicly Carnius needs to compile them into his mod. Although i think you can add them localy to your map folder aswell, just make sure they have the name of the original mission maps and they will replace the original maps...the briefings will be off, but carnius can also replace the videos with the TS vids if he would.

Basicly you can do 10% of the work with the maps, the rest needs to happen on the modding level by carnius.

Is there no way to mod the campaign seperately and load both at once? seems like it could be done as long as the skudef points to everything correctly...

do as you wish and try it. good luck.

do as you wish and try it. good luck.

Id love to, but as I said before I dont know how to replace/add TSUN movies or how to replace/add the campaign maps i create so that they can be played as a campaign.

As for me I only did a few of the remade maps from Tsun, but trying to make them detailed as similar as possible takes more time. I haven't even tried playing custom missions with custom videos in C&C3.

As for me I only did a few of the remade maps from Tsun, but trying to make them detailed as similar as possible takes more time. I haven't even tried playing custom missions with custom videos in C&C3.

I have a lot of experience using scripts and such with other games--Im confident I could make the maps as close to the original as possible while at the same time jazzing them up a bit. I just need to know how to insert the maps as a playable campaign with movies and such, like cnclabs did with the Forgotten.

Have you read the documentation that comes with the SDK and the addendum by Bibber(you will need some of his updated files, which you can download from his website), also "i have experience with other games" is a bad attitude to start modding Tiberium wars, the mod process is rather regid and doesn't really accommodate that way of thought. You start at the end of the line and learn how to setup a modd, add custom content and re use assets before hoping to jump the line and pop out a full campaign.

Replacing campaign maps is one thing, but you still need to know how to reference and compile everything correctly and in the end you are re using the theater of war (where you click on the countries like sarajevo etc - changing that means changing the UI as well which is pain atm) Creating a whole new campaign is alot of work and involves knowing how to setup your xml structure.

You can add other BIGS to a skudef file, but i would focus on being able to know how to mod TW at this point because you will need that know-how besides map making. Maybe not the good news you were hoping for?

Have you read the documentation that comes with the SDK and the addendum by Bibber(you will need some of his updated files, which you can download from his website), also "i have experience with other games" is a bad attitude to start modding Tiberium wars, the mod process is rather regid and doesn't really accommodate that way of thought. You start at the end of the line and learn how to setup a modd, add custom content and re use assets before hoping to jump the line and pop out a full campaign.

Replacing campaign maps is one thing, but you still need to know how to reference and compile everything correctly and in the end you are re using the theater of war (where you click on the countries like sarajevo etc - changing that means changing the UI as well which is pain atm) Creating a whole new campaign is alot of work and involves knowing how to setup your xml structure.

You can add other BIGS to a skudef file, but i would focus on being able to know how to mod TW at this point because you will need that know-how besides map making. Maybe not the good news you were hoping for?

Ive been looking into the SDK and youre right-- its a pain. But using source code from other mods Ive been able to gather how to change some things. Ive been trying to download bibbers files but his site has been in maintenance since I thought this up.

Whats really stumping me is how you add your own assets (new/replacement campaign maps, new/replacement movies etc.). Quite frankly the documentation leaves much to be desired.

a campaign is a bunvh of custom (not skirmish) maps strung together by a Theater of War (basicly tells the game to load map-load video-load briefing - load next map etc etc), you either need to create a new theater of war or modify the existing one and replace the old maps with your maps...still sounds easier then it really is.

I would advice to start extracting the official SP maps and xmls from the game...which brings you to the basic of modding TW...extracting and creating your own content, once you understand that and how to compile your own mod, you can load that mod into worldbuilder and use those assets together with TE core mod.

The campaign is completely xml based, theres no need to replace anything. Creating the raw maps would be the best thing to do first.

Next step would be creating a mod with all required assets and video files... Then fire up the worldbuilder with the created mod to complete the maps..

Last thing left is to adjust the campaign, mission & tow templates and thats it.

Does anyone have bibber's extra files and asset extractor? His site is still down and the only place I found it elsewhere got me a trojan >_>.