Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Need help with a splash logo transparent on background

I am stuck in Photoshop how to make a splash logo transparent and not visible in the background so when you load the game, only the text are in front and the background not visible except for the main menu background being seen. No matter when I create a clone stamp tool or an eraser tool or even a background eraser tool, the "Tiberium Wars" text was still there and even the white background shows up when you start C&C3 in the main menu. But I did use a brush tool with the black color to get rid of the Tiberium Wars text in the alpha channel. But doing that, it cannot get the text seen in the alpha channel and Photoshop has some restictions not to use some options in the alpha channel.

The C&C3 splash logo in the main menu can be found as IndividualImages_054.tga in the Static data.
post-7612-0-67707500-1468886226_thumb.jpg

This is what I came up with after using a brush tool to get rid of the Tiberium Wars text with black color and replace it with Tactius Revolution, but the text areas with the brush tool isn't transparent.
post-7612-0-24904000-1468886245_thumb.jpg

This is the original that I did before, but the background is not transparent and is visible. It was just a copy and paste from another image to replace the C&C3 logo in front.
post-7612-0-31146400-1468886237_thumb.jpg

This is the 3D shadow text I wanted to use (sampled from Word 2010), but I can't just copy and paste it front of the image because the text background isn't transparent.
post-7612-0-83031400-1468886252_thumb.jpg

Here's the PSD file for anyone who can fix this: https://www.mediafire.com/?ex7ho8j69hxg3ub

I wish if there is a Photoshop plugin (free or not) that is just like what Word 2010 and above would have had, creating 3D shadow text and its designs, and to work in both alpha and RGB channels.

Edited by zocom7

You're doing something wrong. This is a super easy task.

Transparency usually comes from its alpha channel. Adjust your alpha channel.

Try using this.IndividualImages_054.zip

On a side not i'd like to know how you change that main menu image. I assumed you use a <OndemandTexture> and reference it in a AdditionalMaps/MapMetaData_Mod.xml ? Because it needs to be loaded as a global instead of static? The result i am getting is it rverts to the kains edition logo because it probably can't find the file im referencing...so am i overthinking this or what am i doing wrong.

I think this is what you wanted?

dur.. I could have zipped it. Here's the tga and psd I made from your file.CnCTR.zip

Edited by dvs1

Thanks a bunch!

edit: Btw tested your logo Zocom, it works as intended now. Easiest way to create a alpha channel in this case is to copy/paste your image into a new channel, turn it into black/white, save with alpha channel extension.

Edited by Ravendark

You're doing something wrong. This is a super easy task.

Well I am still a newbie in using Photoshop because I sometimes used it. Also I use an Image Converter program with a shell extension to preview any type of image file to verify if the image is okay since Photoshop does not use that ability.

On a side not i'd like to know how you change that main menu image. I assumed you use a <OndemandTexture> and reference it in a AdditionalMaps/MapMetaData_Mod.xml ? Because it needs to be loaded as a global instead of static? The result i am getting is it rverts to the kains edition logo because it probably can't find the file im referencing...so am i overthinking this or what am i doing wrong.

All main menu and other menu images are compiled as static data. Read question 72 in the C&C3 Mod SDK FAQs thread.

edit: Btw tested your logo Zocom, it works as intended now. Easiest way to create a alpha channel in this case is to copy/paste your image into a new channel, turn it into black/white, save with alpha channel extension.

I'll keep that in mind.

All main menu and other menu images are compiled as static data. Read question 72 in the C&C3 Mod SDK FAQs thread.

And exactly THIS is why you and a lot of other people fail so much when modding. You're just regurgitating a list of bulletpoints of how to do x. But you never ask "why can't I do stuff in another way". That is btw how I even found out that you can abuse the additionalmaps thing to add some specific stuff to the game without overwriting the global stream. With the simple answer that global does not support textures I not only answered this question, but, if he remembers, probably answers some questions that could come up in the future. This is a much richer learning effect that repeating what some random list says.

****ing nice ripoff of my file btw, dunno how credits go to Bibber, same structure, same values, same superfluous xsi namespace declaration, it even says TDLogo (Tower Defense Logo, btw, see the date if you don't believe me: here)

Edited by Lauren