Sign in to follow this  
jeffnz

Pokemon Go is a horrible idea

pokemon.png

Stop the madness!

Even my former workplace crush plays pokemon go. No matter how much I like her intelligent ramblings and her beautiful face, I will never buy a smartphone just to get close to her! Pokemon Go is anti-social. Just another dumb thing to waste time with. It's no better than those little pet things that people bought in the 90s. Remember those virtual pets? Ugghh.

• Downvote 3

Pokemon Go is anti-social

Really? I see a lot of people gathering together everyday

No matter how much I like her intelligent ramblings and her beautiful face, I will never buy a smartphone just to get close to her!

Well that is just too bad. Another guy will pick her up.

Anyway, those vets are just bitter old men.

Edited by HOPE1134
  • Upvote 1

People would be better off reading books. Perhaps if everybody read books, they could gather around libraries? At least that wouldn't necessarily involve a screen.

I support veterans telling people to f off. I'm sure you read the story about Pokemon Go being played at Auschwitz - how far does acceptable go in your opinion, on this particular topic?

• Downvote 1

I agree with hope, also the last one has nothing to do with Pokemon Go.

I was at Auschwitz years ago with my class, and yes it's really creepy there. I also don't see the point of keeping these structures alive, reading a textbook about it gave me about the same information without making me feel I would need a hot, cleansing shower afterwards.

If people really want to go there to play Pokemon Go let them. I get the point in remembering so that kind of ... doesn't happen again, but what they're doing there is ridiculous.

Guest Rabbit

I took the time to write out a solid response, about the difference between the theme of Memorial Park and the Holocaust Memorial, and I took the time to explain why it's not such a big deal.

Re-reading your (JeffNZ's) posts though, I deleted what I typed, because Jeff, I think you're complaining just to complain. People like things, maybe you should try liking some things too. You sound like a butthurt idiot when you complain about other people's entertainment.

No matter how much I like her intelligent ramblings and her beautiful face, I will never buy a smartphone just to get close to her! Pokemon Go is anti-social. Just another dumb thing to waste time with.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You make it sound like the only way to get close to her is by playing Pokemon GO, and it's not worth the effort to do that. Sounds like she's better off. Edited by Steven

Can only upvote. Also I guess this describes his thinking (add anti-social to the list of things said in that video)

(snip)

I was at Auschwitz years ago with my class, and yes it's really creepy there. I also don't see the point of keeping these structures alive, reading a textbook about it gave me about the same information without making me feel I would need a hot, cleansing shower afterwards.

(snip)

I get the point in remembering so that kind of ... doesn't happen again, but what they're doing there is ridiculous.

I don't get what you're saying... I think the need for hot cleansing shower afterwards *is* the point of why the structures physically exist.

and no... no games or entertainment of any type around the dead and their memorials. It's just plain disrespectful.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean that other people don't care.... respect the living if you can't respect the dead.

I know there are some of you thinking that Pokemon Go is a pointless/brainless game in some ways. Wasn't Pokemon Go good for children and not adults? I can't even believe that game has been mostly played by teens and young adults, even I thought most PC Gamers wouldn't be playing this sort of old relic gameplay.... because Pokemon is so 21 years old and counting.

If I want to play it without the social parts, all I need is an Android emulator to play on a PC, a few mod apks for the game itself (soI don't have to go anywhere) and a mod version of Pokemon Go.... but so far I am interested in doing something else since this game is in the early works.

On the contrary, I even thought of a Mario & Sonic Go as a mobile game if Nintendo/Niantic developed it. :rolleyes:

Stop the madness!

That wouldn't have happened if we didn't have the Vietnam War in the first place, ha!

With great respect to differing viewpoints and gaming preferences, could you please elaborate on how a simple mobile game bringing thousands of people together, having fun in fresh air, and a widespread positive atmosphere around the subject, is actually anti-social? Everything about the game is aimed at it being social and people meeting each other and having fun together, making real life connections, moving around and a lot of other positive things like that. I would really like to see an explanation of your argument in more detail, specifically the statement that it is anti-social with facts to back up your claims, for the sake of further discussion on the topic at hand.

Pokemon go is brainless. I understand children playing it, but adults?

I'm not making an argument about facts, I'm making an argument about values. This is what Bill Joy said about virtual worlds:

"You can create your own island and people come to it... but I don't see any correlation between that and what it's going to take to be a designer and have a skill set to succeed in the world”

Pokemon Go is another second life and I'd rather learn skills. Creating simple virtual worlds is something that I'm slowly getting into. The difference between Pokemon Go and my crappy projects, is that my projects require some level of planning, I have to do pixel art, and I have to program the game myself. These skills are valuable and soon I'll be teaching them to children at a local school. This is even better than going around chasing imaginary friends :P

But as I always say: whatever floats your boat!

edit: I'm not going to delve too much into the "former workplace crush" issue. One thing though, I wrote her a hand written letter about a month ago "dear girl's name, I miss your beautiful face and your eccentric personality" the rest I'll just not mention, ha-ha! I followed it up last month (she lives 1 minute from me) and she warmed up to me a lot since the letter, but still won't be friends lol. Yeah I don't recommend taking up a hobby with an expectation of getting some meow meow, heh heh! I'm old fashioned and I prefer the letter style courting: if you don't like my love letter thingy that I wrote from the heart, then at least I had the pleasure of writing it. Did I just say that :o

Edited by jeffnz
Please don't use dark colours on this forum.

Guest Rabbit

Pokemon Go is another second life and I'd rather learn skills. Creating simple virtual worlds is something that I'm slowly getting into. The difference between Pokemon Go and my crappy projects, is that my projects require some level of planning, I have to do pixel art, and I have to program the game myself. These skills are valuable and soon I'll be teaching them to children at a local school. This is even better than going around chasing imaginary friends

You want to create virtual worlds yet the concept of people playing one is brainless? Your project requires some level of planning but Pokemon Go doesn't?

I guess they didn't need artists, engineers, app developers, lawyers, and a flurry of other talented employees to develop their game then, right?

Or are you saying that the mere act of "playing" the game is the brainless, talent-less part? Alright then, good luck expecting anyone to play your "virtual world" game if you can't even respect the people you're expecting to play.

"Alright kids, time to learn how to create a virtual world instead of playing somebody else's, cause there's a shortage of virtual worlds and we must make more instead of enjoying our time in them."