Sign in to follow this  
ownerz12

Glitchy menu and game freezes - RA2 and YR

My first problem is that various things in the menu (not in-game) are messed up, for example the scroll bars for the audio settings and game settings appear off the slider or off their position (e.g. Game Speed at 4 will be where Game Speed 6 would be), and also the Use Map button disappears; another bug is that the text for maps is cut off by the box surrounding them.. if that makes sense. The text in the menus is also 'scratchy'-looking; can't really describe it well... anyways, another thing is that in-game, the game will run on the resolution I'm using, 1920x1080, but the menu I guess has a different resolution, since it looks different and glitchy.

My problem with the game freezing is that the game runs pretty well (which took a lot of time to get to work, messing with ddwrapper and aqrit.cfg [downloading those made it work] and compatibility settings), but it will randomly freeze during a game; I can't find the cause of it, and I've looked around and tried many fixes, such as changing compatibility settings and etc. The game freezes at random times, sometimes literally 10 seconds in, sometimes 10 minutes in. Otherwise, game seems to run fine.

I'm using Windows 10 x64 bit, running the game on Origin (just RA2/YR, not any collection), and the compatibility settings that I'm using are Windows SP3 - Windows 98 didn't work last time I recall. As I mentioned, I'm using the ddwrapper fix. Hopefully I'm not too much of a burden, anyways any help is appreciated, thanks.

My aqrit.cfg settings are here if they might help:

RealDDrawPath            = AUTO
BltMirror                = 1
BltNoTearing             = 1
ColorFix                 = 1
DisableHighDpiScaling    = 1
FakeVsync                = 1
FakeVsyncInterval        = 0
ForceBltNoTearing        = 1
ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1
NoVideoMemory            = 1
SingleProcAffinity       = 0
ShowFPS                  = 0

I think I can disable some and the game will seem to run no differently, but I know that NoVideoMemory and ForceDirectDrawEmulation must be at their settings or the game crashes/doesn't work. Also, if DisableHighDpiScaling isn't set to 1, then the game is really ugly; graphics are all 'scratchy'-looking (kinda like the text thing with the menus).

Also, it's probably important that I mention that I tried this fix and it didn't work: http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/172813-black-screen-no-menus-showing-in-game/

Edited by ownerz12

Sorry I didn't mention but Origin was disabled in-game already. I just now tried that link you gave me and it didn't change anything.

Edit: at first I only noticed the menu, which isn't any different, but I tried a game and it still froze.

Edited by ownerz12

Try it without ddwrapper, but with XWIS' fix.

Thanks for the quick reply and the help by the way.

Doing that instead makes the game have the black screen problem when I start it up, you know, with sound and etc.

Odd, the XWIS fix was supposed to stop just that. Did you run the required batch files ("Double Click Me.bat") as administrator, and are your compatibility settings correct for both executables? Did your firewall or antivirus interfere?

Well, I did run the batch files, but I didn't right click and run as administrator, although it might have automatically when I double clicked it (in my defense, it did say to double click it...)
However, when I tried to run it as administrator, I got this error

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sdbinst RA2-Comaptibility-Fix.sdb
Error: couldn't find file 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\RA2-Comaptibility-Fix.sdb'.
Press any key to continue . . .

My compatibility settings are set, and firewall/antivirus haven't a thing to do with it.

There's probably some really tiny thing I'm missing here, but I'm double checking everything, so I don't know. Again, thanks for trying to help. Anything else that there might be to try?

Edited by ownerz12

Hm, that depends. Did you extract all of those files in the same directory as the exe's (I did so on my own Win10)? Can you post a screenshot of your RA2 directory?

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

af8rh2.png

I've got Mental Omega installed, but that shouldn't affect anything.

Edited by ownerz12

I don't see any of the .sdb or .bat files from the XWIS fixes in there. While they are in different folders in the RAR files, I think they all need to be in the same place as the EXEs are, and the fix needs to be applied in order as per the readme.

And you're right, Mental Omega (thankfully) doesn't change anything, because it has its own executable. Running it on its own won't work in Windows 10, but the MO launcher should.

Wolapi.dll on the far right, xwis.dll, xwis0.dll, those are from the XWIS fix...

I didn't want to follow step 4 of the readme instructions:

4. Try to run the game. If the game doesn't run, call it a lazy mofo and go outside to enjoy our dying planet.

seriously just wanna get this working.. lol

Yeah, saw those files after I made the post, had to edit it quickly. No luck with my suggestion of placing the .sdb and .bat files in the same folder?

Refusing step 4 means you're a rebel, just the way you should be! :thumbsup:

First, for some reason the 'Double Click Me' required the .sdb file to be in the system32 folder... second, the name of the .sdb file was "YR-Comaptibility-Fix", while the bat was looking for the correctly spelled form... sorted that out, and now, well, now I made a step forward and a step back, sort of..

That fix ended up going through, although the black screen will still appear. But, when I bring back the ddwrapper, it changes a bit from how it was before - now the menus are fine, but now the in-game 'scratchiness' comes back and also now the screen isn't fitting properly, so part of the screen doesn't show, specifically all of the sidebar and part of the main interface. Also, the game crashes a few seconds in... so I'm not sure if this is really any better, but at least something happened..

Hopefully me being a rebel doesn't waste too much of your time.. lol

Edited by ownerz12

Have you used the 16-bit colour mode and disabled DPI scaling without ddwrapper? It all sounds off.

How do I disable DPI scaling without ddwrapper? Do I just use aqrit.cfg without ddraw.dll in the directory? And I was using 16-bit otherwise.

Edit: using aqrit.cfg and making DisableHighDpiScaling = 1 and other settings 0 without ddraw.dll in the directory makes the game just have the black screen.

Edited by ownerz12

You do it in the compatibility tab in the exe's properties?

Oh, actually completely forgot about that... well, tried that, game's still in black-screen phase.

If RA2.exe and RA2MD.exe were overwritten with the ones from the fix and it does that, then I'm frankly out of ideas :/

Ok, I seemed to have made some progress finally..
I put ddraw.dll and aqrit.cfg in the directory with the fixes, compatibility settings and etc., and the menus pretty much appear normal, and I got through a game with no freezes and no 'scratchiness' or any other problems... but, one problem persists, which is that the scrollbars for game speed/audio/etc. are still glitched, which isn't really a problem, but the Use Map button is still not appearing. So, unless you're still stumped, in the next few minutes I'll try messing with aqrit.cfg and some other stuff to see if anything will fix it.
Thanks for helping me through this again.

Edit: Fixed!!! Finally done with this... I had to change the text size in display settings on my Desktop, and sign out and sign back in, which I think I tried before, just without signing out and signing back in... Use map appears, scrollers are fine, everything's working. Thanks for all the help. Also, I'd like to say you deserve more credit in my opinion; I see you reply to just about every post, and heck a lot of things you've helped other people with have helped me, and well here you are directly helping me... Thanks dude.

Edited by ownerz12

Huh, never seen the text size as a factor. Glad you've sorted it out :)