Sign in to follow this  
SatansApostle89

Installing on Win10

Hi guys, I doubt that this will even be read by someone else considering the last post was last year but what the hell...

I'm having a real problem trying to install TFD properly and getting it to run properly! I bought the disc version a month ago and attempted to install yesterday without the guide hosted here and it ran moderately ok (C&C95 had scaling issues, RA let me only play the russians, Tiberian Sun and RA2 didn't work at all thanks to an apparent missing dll and Renegade worked smoothly for about an hour then gave me some error message and ctd! Didn't try Generals as I lost my enthusiasm)

I had it installed on my other drive instead of the standard C:, also had patched with the UNOFFICIAL patch...

Uninstalled and tried again installing on C: drive instead and followed the guide here only to find that the whole thing doesn't work at all!

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but guidance would be amazingly helpful! If you need my specs just ask

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :-)

All games up to Tiberian Sun have been released as freeware and are available on CnC.net, ready to be played under a modern OS. I recommend you get those versions.

Generals doesn't work under 10 due to copy protection issues unless you install a no CD fix, which is included in the unofficial TFD patch. Everything from Tiberium Wars upwards should run fine (I think).

All games up to Tiberian Sun have been released as freeware and are available on CnC.net, ready to be played under a modern OS. I recommend you get those versions.

Generals doesn't work under 10 due to copy protection issues unless you install a no CD fix, which is included in the unofficial TFD patch. Everything from Tiberium Wars upwards should run fine (I think).

So if I get the freeware versions of C&C/RA/TS they will definately work? What about RA2, Yuri's revenge, and renegade?

Well, I can't make any personal guarantees, but plenty of other people have no issues running the CnC.net version under 10. RA2 and YR should rune fine with the community patch. If have still have issues, check this FAQ.

The unofficial TFD patch hasn't been updated in many years, and new fixes for the individual games have surfaced since.

First, install DirectX 9.0c manually. This file will only extract the files you need to a folder of your choice, so you need to run DXSETUP.exe in that folder as administrator.

Tiberian Dawn: Patch it with Nyerguds' patch 1.06c rev3.

Red Alert 1: Use FunkyFr3sh's RA1 patch.

Tiberian Sun: Use FunkyFr3sh's TS patch.

Red Alert 2: Use XWIS' RA2 fix for modern Windows. Follow the instructions carefully.

Yuri's Revenge: Use XWIS' YR fix for modern Windows. Follow the instructions carefully.

Renegade: Shouldn't have problems after the DirectX 9.0c installation. If it does, try using WinXP SP3 compatibility mode.

Generals, Zero Hour: Ditto. If it does have problems, consult this thread.

Finally, make sure you're running the games (and installing them) as administrator.

Well, I can't make any personal guarantees, but plenty of other people have no issues running the CnC.net version under 10. RA2 and YR should rune fine with the community patch. If have still have issues, check this FAQ.

Alrighty TaxOwlbear (Cool name btw), I'll give it a try :-)

The unofficial TFD patch hasn't been updated in many years, and new fixes for the individual games have surfaced since.

First, install DirectX 9.0c manually. This file will only extract the files you need to a folder of your choice, so you need to run DXSETUP.exe in that folder as administrator.

Tiberian Dawn: Patch it with Nyerguds' patch 1.06c rev3.

Red Alert 1: Use FunkyFr3sh's RA1 patch.

Tiberian Sun: Use FunkyFr3sh's TS patch.

Red Alert 2: Use XWIS' RA2 fix for modern Windows. Follow the instructions carefully.

Yuri's Revenge: Use XWIS' YR fix for modern Windows. Follow the instructions carefully.

Renegade: Shouldn't have problems after the DirectX 9.0c installation. If it does, try using WinXP SP3 compatibility mode.

Generals, Zero Hour: Ditto. If it does have problems, consult this thread.

Finally, make sure you're running the games (and installing them) as administrator.

Plokite_Wolf, would I need to install these patches if I'm using the freeware versions? Or do they only fix my disc based TFD after unofficial patching?

• Upvote 1

No, they come pre-patched. The links I gave you patch all other versions (the CDs from the 90s, The First Decade, The Ultimate Collection and EA's official releases) and older versions of the CnCNet releases.

No, they come pre-patched. The links I gave you patch all other versions (the CDs from the 90s, The First Decade, The Ultimate Collection and EA's official releases) and older versions of the CnCNet releases.

AAAAAHHHHH! OHMYGOD THANK YOU SO MUCH! Sorry if you've had to post this a million times before... You've saved my childhood!

Grrrrr! Ran into another issue!

Downloaded the freeware version of C&C Gold, mounted iso in virtual drive, checked compatibility, ran install and then got a message saying it has an incompatibilty to 64-bit win10... I hate win10

Ugh, sorry for this but I've had constant issues with this so I've decided to take a different route!

1. Install new hdd to rig

2. Install Windows XP

3. Install TFD from disc and possibly patch

4. ????

5. Profit

I'm 100% certain that it will work! Sorry for wasting everybodys time :-(

The CnCNet versions of the freeware games work just fine on Win10. No need to mess around with isos or discs with them either. Though RA2 and above can be a bit tricky.

Edited by Tore

The CnCNet versions of the freeware games work just fine on Win10. No need to mess around with isos or discs with them either. Though RA2 and above can be a bit tricky.

Clearly not! I tried installing C&C95 and it wasn't compatible with my version of win10! Guys, I'm sorry but they just don't work for me

You didn't even try to configure them. They are designed to work on modern Windows.

You didn't even try to configure them. They are designed to work on modern Windows.

I seriously tried and I couldn't even get that far to configure them!

Here were my steps!

I downlooaded freeware versions, opened c&c95, EVA installation window came up with option to install game, clicked on install, windows error message came up!

Can we all just drop this now because I feel like you're attacking me for not having the right version of windows

Don't tell me you're still attempting to install EA's ISOs. Their installer executables are 16-bit and not compatible with 64-bit systems.

Nyerguds' distribution of the game has its own installer, I strongly suggest you use that instead.

I seriously tried and I couldn't even get that far to configure them!

Here were my steps!

I downlooaded freeware versions, opened c&c95, EVA installation window came up with option to install game, clicked on install, windows error message came up!

Can we all just drop this now because I feel like you're attacking me for not having the right version of windows

You must be horribly confused. We are not attacking you, you have just downloaded the wrong things. The CnCNet versions or Nyerguds' version has no "EVA installation" window. It sounds like you are trying to install the game from an iso file or the original CD's which is hard if you don't know what you are doing.

Download this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/command-conquer-unofficial-patch-106/downloads/cc95-v106c-revision-3-full-game-installer which is the full game in a custom installer ready to go for modern Windows, even Windows 10.

Then download this if you want cutscenes: http://www.moddb.com/mods/command-conquer-unofficial-patch-106/downloads/command-conquer-english-videos-base-pack

For Red Alert you can download this: http://funkyfr3sh.cnc-comm.com/ which is the same but for Red Alert.

Edited by Tore

Right, after a couple of days of trying not to put a hammer through everything I own, I am focused enough to deal with this!

Firstly I was using the disc versions to install everything...

Secondly I've tried to download the RA1 installer that you guys provided but it keeps failing before finishing... I cleared my browser cache (Firefox) and it didn't help, should I change browser and try again?

Thirdly and finally what about Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge? Disc version with compatibility fix?

Again I'm sorry for my ineptness and being a flake.

I couldn't install it on a separate machine because the laptop was killing every new component I was replacing (Of all the damn luck! Struggled to install tfd on windows 10, and then the replacement machine dying all in the same week! Grrr)

Secondly I've tried to download the RA1 installer that you guys provided but it keeps failing before finishing...

Did you run it as administrator and unblock it in your firewall and antivirus?

Thirdly and finally what about Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge? Disc version with compatibility fix?

Didn't you say you're trying to use The First Decade? If you want the original 2000/2001 discs to work in Win10, you're in for a ride... http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/19497-original-ra2yr-cds-vs-windows-10/?p=225594

Wouldn't download at all like a bad mirror (Not saying it was a bad link)And yes I am using the first decade disc, just install ra2/yr from that and patch/fix?

Also everything else I've downloaded from here have downloaded perfectly, it just has problems with the ra1 installer

As for RA2/YR, yes, the XWIS fixes are all you need. Make sure you read the instructions thoroughly.

An alternate version of RA1 (don't know if it's 100% up-to-date, but you can use Funky's patch on it): http://iran.cnc-comm.com/ra/