Sign in to follow this  
Gben

(Mobile publisher) SuperCell CEO, gives interesting interview

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-09-05-my-biggest-nightmare-is-waking-up-and-realising-weve-not-failed-in-a-year-that-means-were-not-taking-enough-risks

^Just read an interesting interview in what is probably an usual gaming management philosophy. Here is a tasty quote to get your interest...

"The truth is that I'm not a game developer," said Paananen in our interview. "Obviously I'm passionate about games, and I'm a big gamer, but my other passion is creating organisations, it's the teams who build the games. Our big breakthrough at Supercell was deciding to make the developers the superstars rather than the CEO or a creative director dictating what the company should do. Let's enable them to make the best possible games. Our mission is remove every possible obstacle to that to try and make these teams successful."

FYI... Supercell makes CLASH OF CLANS, and CLASH ROYALE (<-- which I play actively at the moment...actually I just snuck into arena #7 [of the 9] arenas).

To be fair mobile games aren't actually games. They just look and act like them, they're really all about stealing as much money from you as possible. :nod:

I still find it weird that you can have these 'big' mobile games developers who employ massive amounts of staff and yet their games are so brutally shallow compared to AAA games on console or PC.

They aren't just shallow compared to AAA games, they're shallow compared to most indie games too.

To be fair mobile games aren't actually games. They just look and act like them, they're really all about stealing as much money from you as possible. :nod:

I still find it weird that you can have these 'big' mobile games developers who employ massive amounts of staff and yet their games are so brutally shallow compared to AAA games on console or PC.

Last year, the NZ Game Developer's Association did an entire talk on the merits of click-baiting and revenue generation (from mobile games).