Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

The ten best and worst Windows OSs (in my opinion)

This is the first and only time I had to post this since I seldom review programs/games.

The five best Windows OSs
1) Windows XP
When people want to experience and get wowed by the features, design and stability, XP is the answer. As for the design, my favorite theme color of blue. The best and most popular OS (as well as my favorite OS) lasted over a decade of support, but as long as you don't use the Internet, you shouldn't be running with the security issues and other bugs. The only thing I heavily abhorred is why do we have to activate Windows through the Internet anyway. The saddest part of this OS is that it should have supported DirectX 10 to extend gaming and other features. PC gaming in that generation back then was the best.

2) Windows 7
Security, stability, design, and numerous features makes it best and recent OS yet. Far better than Windows Vista, the booting and shutting down of the OS improved. The biggest drawbacks are the mediocre Windows Explorer, no support of DirectX 11.2 and 12 and slow installation timing of some programs.

3) Windows 98 SE
An improved version of Windows 95, the OS added more interesting features. The stability was better than Windows 95, but still it lacked better crash protection. This was my second favorite OS behind XP. As of DirectX gaming, it can even support up to 9.0c, the same version that WinXP uses! Like Win95, it can read music CDs and how much space it has, but WinXP and above versions don't determine how large the music CD is. The installation of programs is the quickest among all Windows OSs if you have a fast PC with this. Win98's minor drawback is that you cannot put over 1 GB of RAM because it cannot handle that much.

4) Windows 95
This OS marks the golden age of PC computing. It has a some great first MS games back then but it lacked Reversi. My first PC back in 1996 has a 1.6 GB hard drive and it was perfect for Win95, since it doesn't use a lot of hard drive space. One drawback to Win95 was crash protection which it lacked in case crashes do happen. Unfortunately some older DOS programs have trouble running under that OS unless you reboot to the DOS mode. It was until then DOSBox was the answer a few years later to actually run DOS apps under Windows as an emulator. Guess what was the last great compatible game to work in Windows 95.... it was Half-Life 2!

5) Windows 3.1
This OS was a huge improvement over Win1.0/2.0. Businesses back then finally can use an OS to do applications, and a much better desktop interface was implemented. However the OS lacked some drivers, even video drivers to make the monitor resolutions to shrink or make bigger. The problem relies on the beginning of installation of this OS, you got to install and use everything into the hard drive. But back then, PCs have very tiny hard drives (and RAM) and hard drives less than 25 MB are not recommended for this OS.

The five worst Windows OSs:

1) Windows 2000
The buggiest and least stable Windows ever, it took six service packs to resolve thousands (even millions) of issues and as of today, it still is. Whenever crashes occur, the entire OS hangs and freezes, even when you are on the Internet. It was until Windows XP became the penultimate answer to stability and security to this awful OS. Most businesses using this OS had a long life of grueling issues. As of today, most games do not work in this OS.

2) Windows Me
It looked more like Windows 98 3rd edition than Windows 2000 Second Edition. At least it did feature System Restore and a few new other features. Calling it a millenium edition should have much, much more, but there's nothing else significantly new to wow users. Like Windows 2000, most games do not work in this OS.

3) Windows 1.0/2.0
They are buggy and less featured, which are no match to Apple Mac OS 1.0/2.0. Back then, they rely on DOS to do launch Windows through the DOS prompt. But at least there was Reversi.

4) Windows 8
Probably the most controversial Windows OS ever, since many people hated to see there's no start menu in the desktop until it's restored back in Windows 8.1. The other thing is that metro UI menu that desktop users did not like at all. Windows 8 was most fitting for tablets, smartphones and PCs with touchscreens, but because of mediocre design and lack of better features, Windows 10 became the replacement to this lackluster OS. Also to mention is the usage of the Windows Store, which anyone would barely use and Valve's CEO Gabe Newell thought it would kill PC gaming for good. The only thumbs up: the much better look of the task manager and file explorer and the booting up and shutting down of the OS.

5) Windows 10
The good news it's free to download as an ISO but without a serial number you can't activate Windows. While better than Windows 8 with a hybrid start menu with metro UI, the recent OS still lacks a lot of features from previous Windows OSs and the OS should have been bigger than what people thought. This means you have to rely on more 3rd party programs to owe it up. People should have expected something better and different in Win10 than Win8 and as a matter of fact, it isn't. Even some of the designs are still used from Win8... pathetic. Even Mac OS X still kicks *** over this OS when it comes to features and design. DirectX 12 didn't get fully official used for most video cards until the first anniversary edition of the OS. All-in-all, the OS still heavily relies on the Internet with apps, updates, information and the spy materials that Microsoft puts there, something that Apple and Linux would never do to an OS. There are some things that I like in Windows 10 but I should expect more. As for system requirements, Win10 runs much better if installed and run on a solid-state drive.

I know some of you won't agree with me on some things but those are my final brief reviews of those OSs.

Edited by zocom7

I liked the bonus screen savers in Windows 98 SE (was it SE, I'm not sure). They had a horror screen saver, a space one, and other inane stuff. I was born in 1990 and I remember well, the lion desktop background on 95. My neighbours had the lion background with a twitching wasp as their loading cursor. O yea, and the sound themes too. Nothing quite like the jungle theme for a bit of weirdness ^_^

I like the recent adaptations to small things, like Paint using 'ribbons' and as you mention, the new task manager. I wish they would update notepad but I'm okay with notepad++ it has too many menus in my opinion but it's pretty cool. Recently I emailed every Member of Parliament by downloading a list of email addresses (a spreadsheet) and then I copied all the way down, then pasted into notepad++. Then I replaced the \n and \r characters with "comma, spacebar" and got myself a neat list of MPs email addresses. Microsoft has cool utilities for power users I suppose, but I haven't found half of them yet.

The default desktop background for Windows 10 is way cool! Nice and dark, instead of colours that burn your eyes.

Windows XP is garbage. It might have been decent at one point, but it has nothing on even Windows 10. The fact that it's "number one" is a complete ****ing joke.

You are tripping if you think Windows 2000 was a bad OS, I think you are confusing it with Windows ME. 2000 was a rock solid NT4 successor. It did lack a lot of the compatibility hacks that Windows XP had to make sure old games ran though. 2000 was where they were supposed to switch exclusively to the NT kernel, but they botched it and released ME as the "consumer" edition which was universally reviled.

Your review of Windows 10 comparing it to macOS is also a bit uninformed, things like linking to your cloud account and having an app store are features lifted directly from macOS.

1) Windows XP

When people want to experience and get wowed by the features, design and stability, XP is the answer.

You mean the features we've been taking as a standard ever since, and which would be a bit cheap to advertise as features today?

2) Windows 7

(...)Far better than Windows Vista, the booting and shutting down of the OS improved.

Being better than Vista was truly a tough task :rolleyes: All they had to do was take Vista, fix it up, add some additional minor stuff and call it a new name. In practice, Win7 was what Vista was supposed to be.

slow installation timing of some programs.

Did you even use Windows 7?

3) Windows 98 SE

(...)The stability was better than Windows 95

?????????

This was my second favorite OS behind XP.

And so it's number 3?

As of DirectX gaming, it can even support up to 9.0c, the same version that WinXP uses!

It's a few years short of that. 98SE is compatible with the December 2006 redist at the latest, while XP goes all the way to June 2010.

Win98's minor drawback is that you cannot put over 1 GB of RAM because it cannot handle that much.

It's not like 1 GB RAM chips were in commercial use in Win98's prime.

1) Windows 2000

The buggiest and least stable Windows ever

According to a surprising number of Windows enthusiasts who still worship Windows 2000 as the peak of the Windows brand, this can't be more wrong.

It was until Windows XP became the penultimate answer to stability and security to this awful OS.

Stability in XP? Only after SP2. Security? Hell no.

5) Windows 10

The good news it's free to download as an ISO

What is it with your free stuff fetish, I mean honestly?

but without a serial number you can't activate Windows.

No ****, Sherlock.

the recent OS still lacks a lot of features from previous Windows OSs

As a Windows 10 user, I ask you what would these be? The only thing that was actually stripped were the MS games so they could be placed on the Windows Store. The rest was either the same or jumbled (*coughSettingsAndControlPanelcough*)

Even Mac OS X still kicks *** over this OS when it comes to features and design.

Mac OS X is and always will be **** for everything apart from looking pretty.

DirectX 12 didn't get fully official used for most video cards until the first anniversary edition of the OS.

...so?

All-in-all, the OS still heavily relies on the Internet

I can use Win10 in Internet outages and no-signal areas comfortably, so I don't know which OS you're talking about.

the spy materials that Microsoft puts there, something that Apple and Linux would never do to an OS.

I would really not exclude Apple from that. Even if it isn't there now, it sure will be in the future.

Windows XP is garbage. It might have been decent at one point, but it has nothing on even Windows 10. The fact that it's "number one" is a complete ****ing joke.

It was pretty decent for a very long while, once it got rid of its initial problems and better computers became available to handle some of the bloat it apparently added compared to Win2000. I think it was rather robust when it reached SP3.

It was robust at one point, but when you start looking at it objectively, it's pretty bad from a user standpoint and, especially, from a security standpoint. XP has the security of a wet paper bag. Run everything as ****ing root? Are you ****ing kidding me? I can't stand XP anymore. I only use it for a few select games.

but when you start looking at it objectively, it's pretty bad from a user standpoint

It may seem so... after 15 years and several succeeding Windows releases.

XP has the security of a wet paper bag.

Which OS doesn't? You still need third-party antivirus/firewall programs to even think of getting somewhat complacent when browsing the Internet. UAC is the biggest backfire they've made in the name of security thus far, especially if they consider having that enabled by default and shipping the laughable Windows Defender with new OSes is enough protection from anything.

XP only outlived Vista because Vista was a nightmare at launch. Windows 7 superseded it fairly quickly. ****, even the US Government switched to Windows 7,

Vista and higher have far better security measures in place than XP did. You can still get infected but it's not quite as easy as before, nor is it the same. Even as an admin, everything doesn't automatically run as root, which was XP and prior's biggest security flaw. So no, every OS does NOT have the same massive security flaw. Especially not *NIX based OSes. Especially not those.

I don't understand why would you place Windows 95 and 3.1 in "Top 5 Best Windows OSes" and place Windows 2000 and 10 in "Top 5 Worst Windows OSes"...

XP only outlived Vista because Vista was a nightmare at launch. Windows 7 superseded it fairly quickly. ****, even the US Government switched to Windows 7,

Indeed, every academic institution and government office that I've been to still uses Win 7.

How you can even compare NT systems to 9X? Why i don't see in this "so-called-ranking" Windows Bob... Like what the heck is so good in obsolete Windows XP? I have nice memories of Windows 95, but i wouldn't even dare to compare it to Windows 10, because it doesn't make any sense.

As for the design, my favorite theme color of blue

???

You know that in systems such as Linux or BSD you can change not only the theme, but WHOLE UI?

As of DirectX gaming, it can even support up to 9.0c, the same version that WinXP uses!

NO WAY!!111!1...

So you're saying that i can play in Call of Duty 1 and 2?! WHOA! Why did i ever upgraded my rig?!

Like Win95, it can read music CDs and how much space it has, but WinXP and above versions don't determine how large the music CD is.

You know... i don't even find it interesting... like most of music CD's has 650 MB and nowadays most popular are 800 MBs, but... who uses them in age of pendrives and clouds? Who? What kind of point does it make?

The installation of programs is the quickest among all Windows OSs if you have a fast PC with this.

Like if i have SSD it doesn't matter which OS do i run... and i doubt you can compare installation speed with Mac OS X. Like you know... Drag & Drop versus building catalogues, registry and symlinks (for Linux).

This is a joke. Building a ranking of OS's in different timeline, offering what they could in their primetime to systems, which were offering much more later on. I can bet, that Windows 10 will be inferior to Windows 11/12 and 13 just because it was released earlier...

Which OS doesn't?

Like Linux, BSD, Solaris, Haiku... Windows could build system far more secure, but it would be totally incompatible with previous versions, because all of them still relies on solutions, which MS bought with NT in late '90s. They made some visual changes, but most of the core isn't changed that much.

They have their Singularity project, which is halted for unknown reasons for me.

Windows Defender with new OSes is enough protection from anything.

Actually, no-one writes destruction viruses anymore. Much more often you encounter those ransomware viruses, to which every antivirus is vulnerable due to "human factor". In the end, user installs the software. The only way you can get infected by mediocre virus is by flash, which you can easily turn off and rely on HTML5.

Edited by Sonic