Sign in to follow this  
Gben

Windows Media Player 12 Alternative

MP12 has been my default player, but getting sick of a few inadequacies and thinking I should replace it.

The biggest heartache was my upgrade to Win10 corrupted my database of tagging and as I try to rectify it, it's no longer saving my tags.

I used a 3rd-party add-on to help, but it no longer seems to work reliably. Last update was ages ago.

I like it's free. I like it's high ripping quality. I dislike it's database for track when burning.

Curious what you guys use to listen to music?

Tried Jriver, trying media monkey and foobar...

VLC Media Player has been my favorite alternative to WMP for playing videos and some special audio files. It's free and highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Not sure what you mean by tagging, but WMP works fine for me. You can still snatch Winamp v5.666 from its forums, IIRC.

VLC Media Player all the way. Don't get the 64 bit version, though.

I just use the Groove Music app in Windows 10. Works fine. Or just stream your music off YouTube.

I use AIMP for my music with a Winamp style skin.

For videos I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC

VLC Media Player all the way. Don't get the 64 bit version, though.

What seems to be the problem?

I have 41,000 mp3 which take up 195GB. A good player also needs a good library.

Tagging is when I insert a cd for ripping and the album is not in WMP12 limited database. Because it doesn't offer access to alternate database, I often have to manually edit track names etc.

What's happening at the moment, is I edit the tag, and the next time I access the file it's reverted back to it's previous state. So I've wasted my time.

Oh that. That's been unreliable since WMP11 at least, as the program often does that locally instead of actually editing the file. You can try manually changing the tags in the file's properties, or edit them in Winamp, which is more reliable in this than WMP.

I have 41,000 mp3 which take up 195GB.

You must have a very broad taste in music to have that many MP3s.

nah I just like all the different versions of Apple-pen-Pineapple-pen...

LOL.

At the moment, Media Monkey Free is working okay for tagging purposes, and I'll keep using WM12 for ripping and sync to mobile for today's mood.

If the program and tag changes are stable, I will consider paying for the ability to run the complicated auto-playlists.

WMP12 was working fine before Win10, just the accessing info from database was the problem. Now I need to find an alternative.

Well since you have Windows 10 you should take a closer look at the Groove Music app. You can edit the MP3 tag info from within it, looks relatively straight forward.

What seems to be the problem?

The 64 bit version is more prone to crashes, and doesn't really have any advantages over the 32 bit version.

The 64 bit version is more prone to crashes

Not since 2.2.0.

Yup VLC owns.

EDIT:

I used AllPlayer for some time before VLC, but after they flooded their software with adware and other sh*t VLC is the only reasonable option.

Edited by Traymen