Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Red Alert 20th Anniversary Month

1uAlA9H.jpg

As we approach the month of November this means that Red Alert is officially 20 years old. Red Alert was the prequel, the what if game, set before the events of the original Command & Conquer it tells the story of the conflict between the Allies and Soviets with its twisted science and alternate take on world history. And as the story ends we learn about the early origins of the eventual rise of the Brotherhood of Nod from the fallen Soviet Empire. So Red Alert and Command & Conquer are very much connected in more ways than you think. Of course all of this was later undone with creation of Red Alert 2 that essentially changes the time line and from that point neither connected.

Here at CNCNZ.com we are celebrating the Red Alert 20th Anniversary by giving our main site and forums a bit of a Red Alert theme. These Red Alert themed images, created by Plokite_Wolf, will remain online through out November. If you don't see the new images you may need reload/refresh your web browsers cache. You can do this by hitting CTRL + F5 to fetch the updated images.

Don't know about how you guys feel, but whenever I play RA1 for an occasional comp stomp, it still feels like a charming and enjoyable game. There's still some immersion left after all this time.

Hope you enjoy this little post I made on GameReplays as well.

Yeah, Red Alert is still and always be the best and most popular C&C game of all time.

Except that you are celebrating 18 days too early ;)

Yeah, you're right. :sadface:

The RA theme on the site was meant for the month of November anyway, though :D

Yeah, RA1 was/is perhaps the best game in the entire franchise. ;)

No other CnC game came even close to its single player campaign - a huge variety on mission objectives and cinematics that really gave an idea how much was at stake...

And the new skirmish/multiplayer gave it far more replay value than CnC1. Even TS with its random map generator didnt come close.

Heck, I am pretty sure I havnt played RA in the last decade but I can still remeber A Path Beyond, my favorit map in the entire game.

And it had battleships. That alone makes it superior to RA2&3 with their crappy carriers.

Edited by Stygs

No other CnC game came even close to its single player campaign - a huge variety on mission objectives and cinematics that really gave an idea how much was at stake...

Oh man, now I remember that Allied mission that had the exact layout from one of the previous missions and all the buildings where you left them. Now that was impressive.

And it had battleships. That alone makes it superior to RA2&3 with their crappy carriers.

At least carriers can aim right. ;)

Cruisers. And smaller scaled carriers with drone bombers is a likely future scenario. Massive ships with massive guns look cool, but are inefficient and impractical in a real navy. Even modern cruisers prefer missiles over the guns of the primitives of the early 20th century.

I have one suggestion for the theme on the main page.

In CSS replace the properties in the html selector with:

html {
    background: #001b3d url(images/red-alert-bg.jpg) center fixed;
    background-size: cover;
}

This will make the background image scale with the size of the users monitor. It looks better imo than tiling the image.

Oh man, now I remember that Allied mission that had the exact layout from one of the previous missions and all the buildings where you left them. Now that was impressive.

Yeah, they should really have done that again. But dont forget the mission where you had to get a spy inside a soviet tech center to free Tanya, then get Tanya to safety and use your reinforcements to crush another soviet base.

Or the mission where you had to protect the allied lab working on the Chronosphere while the enemy troops attacked from all directions...

Or the one where you had to destroy the nuke missile silos.... just to get a video telling you that the missiles launched and you now have to capture the command center and disable the controlls before the missiles reach their targets...

Or the soviet mission where you had to protect a NPC convoy with your aircrafts...

That game had some really, really awesome missions. ^_^

@ Nmenth

True, they were called cruiser ingame, but the cinematics allways showed battelships. They just seem to fit the spirit of Red Alert better, carrier feel far to modern.

Edited by Stygs

True, they were called cruiser ingame, but the cinematics allways showed battelships. They just seem to fit the spirit of Red Alert better, carrier feel far to modern.

Yup. The cutscenes showed Iowa class Battleships ;)

RA1 is still one of my favorite games. Below you can see the RA1 part of my C&C collection :)

ra1col-sm.jpg

Edited by Tore