Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Fan Creates Red Alert 2 Via UE4 In Virtual Reality

Ádám Horváth, an Unreal Engine programmer who has previously used motion technology for some interesting projects, has taken a few steps further and made a proof-of-concept build of a remade Red Alert 2 in Unreal Engine 4 in VR! Of course, it's not a complete copy, as build times aren't there, and the gameplay is based on the unfinished RA2 mod for OpenRA, but the work he has done is nothing short of amazing. Many of the assets were contributed by Slye_Fox, author of the Condition Red mod for Red Alert 3.

I prefer C&C remakes in the Unreal Engine 4 without VR. :rolleyes:

• Downvote 1

A clarification: as far as we can tell from the video the gameplay isn't just based on the OpenRA RA2 mod, it is the OpenRA RA2 mod. It looks like he's replaced OpenRA's sprite-oriented rendering with a full-3d renderer built in UE4 (OpenRA's game logic is already fully 3d) and redone the interface to suit the vive. This is really impressive work! A bit disappointing that he linked to slye-fox's moddb profile but not the OpenRA website though :(

A couple of obvious OpenRAisms can be seen at 2:55 where he captures the tech airfield (two engineers run to the center of the building, and the second one runs out again) and at 7:15 where the first three tanks line up outside the war factory and the fourth nudges one out of the way.

Edit: The author has confirmed this at

Edited by pchote

Wow...Speech - less. This looks amazing. I'm curious if you would have Fog of war turned on as that full view is hax lol.

@Purplegaga 27 - I would like to see that as well

Edited by fenixforeva

Just drop the VR aspect and I think we have a winner. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't understand the comments here... the whole point in this is the VR aspect. If this wasn't VR, it would be nothing special.

• Upvote 1

But I rather see C&C in some other engine such as this one. Renegade-X was the first C&C game to be implemented into the Unreal Engine, but as a FPS/RTS aspect.

If you didn't notice in the video from 0:00 onwards, RTS gameplay is feasible in the Unreal Engine. Also, if you didn't know, any engine can be changed at will as long as you have the source code, which is the case for both UE4 and OpenRA upon which this VR version is made. Use your brain.

I don't understand the comments here... the whole point in this is the VR aspect. If this wasn't VR, it would be nothing special.

RA2 in 3d is allready something cool in its own ;)

A amazing as the video is, I cant shake off the feeling that the VR controlls seem ill suited for a fast and bustling game like an RTS - especially when it comes to moving around the map, the player seems to struggle in some szene.

Still, its a great proof of concept, hopefully it will be futher refined. :D

RA2 in 3d is allready something cool in its own ;)

"Cool" yes, "special" no.
  • Upvote 1

Guest Stevie_K

We discussed this a bit at the office yesterday.

I started working at a VR game company so this is both relevant and very interesting.

Really want to play around with it if the opportunity presents itself.

I don't understand the apprehension to the VR aspect. As a proof of concept this video has me so excited.

If im not mistaken the Vive can recognize movement? If so then you can probably allow the player to move around or "walk" throughout the map. This would be awesome! The only hindrance I can see so far would primarily be controls and some form of fog of war.

I really want to see how far this can go.

Guest Stevie_K

@Troopzor

Yes, the Vive can recognize movement. The current version comes with cameras that are to be set up in the room. These track movement of the face device and the two controllers.

It could be set up for you to walk around a map, but I wouldn't recommend using such a setup despite how awesome it sounds (for the current Vive at least).

The main problem in my experience is that you need a very large playing space, which can cause tracking issues. It is probably a minority of users who have setups in huge rooms, which is probably part of the reason why most games for it aren't designed for actual walking as a way to navigate.

What I've seen mostly on the Vive is control setups where if you have to move around, you either have a very small space to move in (couple of steps in all degrees), or a setup where you move around using the pads on the controllers (which in my opinion works just fine).

A different kind of setup is where you "drag" yourself around using the controllers to "pull in the air". I don't think it is that common yet but it feels pretty cool and convenient if done properly.

HTC is launching a new wireless Vive headset Q1 2017 I believe. It does the tracking in the goggle device itself giving a lot more liberty to the user. No external camera setups and no wires connected to the device while playing.

I have to say this is pretty cool. However the whole VR thing I find unnecessary and it was even start to make me a bit sick just watching it but hey, very good effort in general. :)

I saw this headline elsewhere on the web and I also thought, wow cool proof of concept. Execution was terrible, but the idea, I would love that immersive feeling of building a base in VR, if they could just get that switch from RTS to FPS change in the future. I think it would be awesome.

I'm more interested in the framework and the ideas behind this video, rather than mod/skin a fancy new engine to do exactly what the original already does... just with nicer graphics.