Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

New Look for OpenRA

OxEhztd.png

Just in time for Christmas, the OpenRA team have revealed their brand new logo for the OpenRA project, which you can see above. This logo will be used to represent the OpenRA project as a whole, with the Soviet star logo being kept for the Red Alert mod. Here is some extra details about he change of logo.

Why do we need a new logo?

Using the same logo for OpenRA (the project) and the Red Alert mod causes a lot of confusion, both for new players who may not know that OpenRA contains multiple separate games and for community-run events that need separate logos to distinguish between OpenRA as a whole and the three main mods. These problems will only get worse in the future when the Tiberian Sun mod is eventually released. Another issue is that the Soviet star symbol has strong symbolism associated with it, making difficult for us to use it in contexts where people may not be familiar with OpenRA or Red Alert in general.

But why this design?

We started the design process with three key requirements:

• Reflect OpenRA’s identity as a modern RTS game that leverages classic gameplay and artwork.
  • Not tied to a specific game or universe (so no mammoth tanks, tiberium, or faction logos).
  • Can be recreated in a SVG vector format for the website and other media.

After a brainstorming session in our IRC channel there was one stand-out winner, which was prototyped and refined to produce the design we are showing today.

More information can be found on the OpenRA site.

It's awesome!

Guest Stevie_K

I respect the idea and effort, but I think the result looks messy. Too many components, competing focal points and unnecessary details.

I also think it is contradicting with their own design requirement: "Not tied to a specific game or universe (so no mammoth tanks, tiberium, or faction logos).".

Cartoony mammoth tank was literally the first thing that went through my mind as I saw it.

Just my two cents.

As art, it's nice. But as a semi-regular Open-Ra player, it means nothing to me.

I would prefer a box/crate with an iconic unit from all C&C universes spilling out...

I guess, in the same way the need to change the logo, they probably need to change the name though.

To reinforce it's an engine and not a mod.

Meh, maybe it'll grow on me.

I guess, in the same way the need to change the logo, they probably need to change the name though.

To reinforce it's an engine and not a mod.

Games that start with "Open" or "Free" (OpenTTD, OpenRA, OpenRCT2, FreeCiv...) are, that I know of, all engines and not mods.

Yes but it's the RA that limits them in this case, and what I was referring them too... better it be openCC or openC+C instead.