Sign in to follow this  
Wubbers

Modifying Red Alert 2/YR With Origin

Hi, I know there's a plethora of threads that involve this problem but unfortunately none have them have helped me with my specific issue. I'm attempting to override the launch parameters for Red Alert 2 on Origin using Bibber's fixed launchers, however; it is not working and I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding why. Perhaps one of you fine veterans can guide me through this so I might figure out what it is I'm doing wrong?

Define "override the launch parameters", and why you would need that for modding.

Sorry, I'm really new to this, so I think I used a term I don't understand. To backtrack a bit, my end goal is to be able to modify the ini files and have changes actually occur upon loading up the game. I've always had issues with mind control and superweapons so I figured, in order to have more personal enjoyment playing through the campaigns of Red Alert 2 and YR, that I would modify these files myself. Unfortunately, none of my changes have been taking effect, and from the research I on the issue did; the closest thing to an answer I found was that Origin was the issue. Is that conclusion incorrect?

Edited by Wubbers

If you have already installed the fixed launchers after disabling Origin In-Game for RA2/YR (so that Origin doesn't overwrite the fixed launchers), then the solution is that you likely placed the INIs in the wrong location or your codes didn't change anything.

Ah. Thanks for pointing that part out. See, The mistake I now realize I made was I thought you were to disable origin in game by installing the fixed launchers, not that you had to first disable Origin in-game, then install them. Thanks again for your help; I'll try to think outside the box in the future, lol.

Edited by Wubbers

Okay, so I did everything in order this time, disabled origin in-game and installed the fixed launchers, however the game is still trying to load up through origin.

That is normal?

That's the correct place. Could you post what changes you did to the INI?

So far all I've done is change this line:

AtomDamage=0 ; damage points when nuclear bomb explodes (regardless of source)

and as a test I change the name of the missile silo by editing this one:

; Soviet Nuclear Missile

[NAMISL]
UIName=Name:NAMISL
Name=Impotent Launcher
but the name change doesn't show up, leading me to believe that the changes aren't working.
Edited by Wubbers

Name is only used to easily identify which unit you are looking at in the ini, It does not actually do anything in game. That is handled by the UIName.

UIName is in turn handled by the csf, which needs a csf editor to change.

You can just write UIName=Impotent Launcher if you want to, but that will cause it to say "MISSING:Impotent Launcher" in game.

That makes sense. But what about AtomDamage? Am I correct in assuming that does what it says?

I believe AtomDamage is code left over from RA1 and is obsolete in RA2.

I think what you are looking for is this:

[NukePayload]

Damage=600

You might also want to adjust this part:

RadLevel=500

Thanks for the help, I also probably should have mentioned that I'm trying to edit these things to make the campaign a little more fun. That way you probably could have told me that the missions have their own set rules that are unaffected by modifications to the rules.ini file (which I have now learned) Turns out the modifications I made were all having an effect exactly as they were intended, just in skirmish- not the missions. Perhaps you could set me on the right track by suggesting a way to directly edit the rules of the missions themselves (if that is even possible)

Name is only used to easily identify which unit you are looking at in the ini, It does not actually do anything in game. That is handled by the UIName.

UIName is in turn handled by the csf, which needs a csf editor to change.

You can just write UIName=Impotent Launcher if you want to, but that will cause it to say "MISSING:Impotent Launcher" in game.

Name is used for identification in FA2.

That makes sense. But what about AtomDamage? Am I correct in assuming that does what it says?

AtomDamage is for Red Alert 1 and is not used as far as I know. Parsed but not used.

Thanks for the help, I also probably should have mentioned that I'm trying to edit these things to make the campaign a little more fun. That way you probably could have told me that the missions have their own set rules that are unaffected by modifications to the rules.ini file (which I have now learned) Turns out the modifications I made were all having an effect exactly as they were intended, just in skirmish- not the missions. Perhaps you could set me on the right track by suggesting a way to directly edit the rules of the missions themselves (if that is even possible)

rules.ini edits change the missions as well. However, edits to maps will override the rules file. If you're editing RA2, use rules.ini and if YR, rulesmd.ini.

Name is used for identification in FA2.

From ModEnc:

Note that Final Alert 2 does NOT use Name to determine the names of objects, but UIName as well like the game.

True, and the only exceptions are the name overrides in FALanguage.ini (like the ones for the engis).