Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

So there was a 8th continent named Zealandia

Considering the fact that which ones and how many continents already exist is as vague as the word "continent" itself, I will file this under the Irrelevant and Meaningless directory (which is quite packed already).

Sounds like total bull**** to me. These so called experts will make up anything to justify their meaningless research.

It's a submerged continent and not really its own "thing" as it were. It's more like a tectonic plate.

Considering the fact that which ones and how many continents already exist is as vague as the word "continent" itself, I will file this under the Irrelevant and Meaningless directory (which is quite packed already).

It has a pretty strict scientific definition. What most of us learned in primary school isn't really what a continent really is.

Sounds like total bull**** to me. These so called experts will make up anything to justify their meaningless research.

I wouldn't call this research meaningless. The study of geology and tectonics is fascinating and it gives us insights into how the world formed into what it is now and what shape continents may take in the future.

It's a submerged continent and not really its own "thing" as it were. It's more like a tectonic plate.

There are more than eight tectonic plates. If they actually used tectonic plates to determine continents, I might actually care. Though it would be redundant to do so.

It has a pretty strict scientific definition. What most of us learned in primary school isn't really what a continent really is.

Just look up continent on Wikipedia to see a pathetic struggle to describe what it really means while trying to sound coherent. And I disagree that it has a strict scientific definition, even scientists can't agree on it.

I wouldn't call this research meaningless. The study of geology and tectonics is fascinating and it gives us insights into how the world formed into what it is now and what shape continents may take in the future.

The research isn't meaningless. But this story isn't research, it is media hype over something meaningless.

Yes, meaningless. The article which you linked starts off describing its arbitrary classification and then has a tiny section on the media hype surrounding a single team of eleven scientists who think it qualifies for perhaps the most arbitrary of arbitrary classifications attached to it.

Again I say, the research is not meaningless, the arbitrary classification and media hype is.