Sign in to follow this  
HOPE1134

Petroglyph's Strikers

I think that qualifies as a custom map mod for Warcraft III instead of a pointless game itself. :rolleyes:

Okay that's enough, we need a new studio.

Glad you gave them your money now?

Good question :P

I hope they will invest in a full project, sometime in the future. Right now it's obvious that they're going for the easy money. I've talked to a local game developer about this stuff ... although Steam takes a huge amount of your profit, it's generally considered to be good sense to sell via Steam, because without Steam you wouldn't have marketing and access to users. That means doing stupid little projects on a small budget instead of creating a loyal fan base and a long-running series (6+ years minimum). Oh well let's see where the industry goes. Gaming is a novel thing for me these days. I barely get excited over anything any more.

Quick, please give Petroglyph the C&C IP so they turn it into a Saturday morning kids cartoon show :rolleyes:

8-Bit Armies I can understand, its RTS, it has its place..... but what the **** is this?

• Upvote 1

8-Bit Armies I can understand, its RTS, it has its place..... but what the **** is this?

I'm trying to imagine what's happening inside Petroglyph offices: "hey guys Rocket League sold really well so let's make a game that merges Rocket League with 8 Bit Hordes"

U mad Westwood/Petro fanboys across the world?

Watch them slap a Frank Keplacki track on it and all will be forgiven. Don't underestimate the power of fanboyism!

I really don't know why the man is still with them, he's wasting his talent at Petroglyph. He can enrich so many other things but still decides to deal with a pack of idiots.

Frank does whatever earns him money. What do you think he should do ... make music for an FPS title?

What do you think he should do ... make music for an FPS title?

Why not? Why wouldn't he be doing music for games that need it? After all, he did say a few times he liked the soundtrack of Unreal Tournament, among other things.

Frank could do music for any style of game, the man is that talented.

OK, Just seen this... Since we're a little quite on the forum front, a little necroposting and adding my opinion here (since I have no affiliations or loyalties to any developer or studio anymore) isn't as bad as it might have been in the past.

So let's cast our mind back to the early 90's pre-C&C.. Disney & Virgin Interactive Entertainment came to Westwood Studios with the task of Creating The Lion King Game.. Louis Castle was set the task in collaboration with Disney of building that game. It was as far a departure from Westwood's reputation as RPG only developer as their innovative Dune 2 game was at the time. In theory it shouldn't have worked. But even though it had a big name behind it, Westwood nailed the game, and it is still to this day seen as one of the best platformers that was released in that era.

The birth of the Lion King project did make Westwood look into diversification and not just being an RPG developer. Dune 2 did well for them, so they decided to look towards following that up with an all new franchise... C&C was born.

So let's consider this bizarre football/soccer game logically from their perspective. Petroglyph have been stuck from day 1 as an RTS / Strategy developer. It's done somewhat well for them, but as it stands RTS isn't exactly the genre of the hour and hasn't been for some time. They've tried to jump on MMOs with little success, and have had several cancelled projects including one on Kickstarter. Grey Goo stuck well and was a pretty damn good game in my opinion, but it didn't have the impact that they hoped for, and was seen by reviewers as rather generic. The 8 Bit RTS franchise saw them enter as an Indie developer and it pretty much has saved their bacon by playing on Nostalgia.. for now.

So where am I going with this?

You have to be aware of the fact that Petroglyph is a Studio without a publisher. They're running on the very fuel and funds they themselves have. RTS at this point in time isn't going to keep them afloat forever, and it's obviously not going to work with the grand ideas and projects they have in mind. So they need to look at diversifying and working on something else that can capture attention from publishers.. It may not be to everyone's tastes, but why not focus on a game that uses the world's largest sport as a base.

If you look on Steam there are 2 games that exist that are similar:

Kapitano All-Stars Soccer

FootLOL: Epic Fail League

Both these games did rather well for their respective developers. This could work for Petroglyph as well. The Omission of any single player though is very risky. So the multiplayer element is going to have to work really well, and they better well hope people see potential in it. I'd imagine they have 2-3+ additional projects on the production line.. so it won't be the end of the world if it does fail. But if it does gain traction, we could see a single player element added.. If so, I'll buy it.. I've been wanting something like this and I don't own the aforementioned above games. Might as well be a game from developers I know well...

Overall though, this is another completed game on the company's CV.. Every bit of funding likely having a percentage going towards what they really want to make. The game that they hope will seal a larger publishing deal. If that is their intent, I'm all in favour of Petroglyph thumping out random yet fun titles with quick turnarounds.

Edited by Saracen