Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Cities: Skylines

Anyone tried out Cities Skylines and their DLCs? I just started playing it and I thought this is the game that should have been developed in the 2000s.

I always dreamed from as a child I wanted to build something especially for a city using toy materials (ie. Legos). I even had dreams in my sleep of standing in a virtual dream world where cities would change in various regions. I never knew a game would do such a thing, until I noticed some RTS games having some of these tall buildings and all other objects surrounded throughout the map(s).

The first city simulation game I ever tried was CityVille which was a browser game on Facebook. It had the basic fundamentals, but it gets less fun as you are more dependent to require your friends to give you materials to continue making more buildings. Simcity Buildit on the other hand, was similar to CityVille but plays better than that game. However, the waiting time to finish producing materials and having trade items sold is a pain. The waiting time is even longer to collect more coins since the buildings (in the later game) you need to buy and build are pricey. I haven't given up playing Simcity Buildit yet since starting it two weeks ago. I didn't have any interest in the promo free version of SimCity 2000 since it's a DOS game with lots of basic fundamentals and no 3D graphics (because it's DOS). I also didn't have interest in the promo free versions of Tropico 3 and 4 since they are similar to Simcity Buildit but it's more complex and place setting is in Latin country.

Then comes Cities: Skylines, and I thought it was an Indie game (but it is not) developed by a studio and publisher I never even heard of. Actually that game is the answer to the SimCity series where you can build almost anything (from freeways to zoning), even mods are supported and there's no need for a constant Internet connection unlike the rebooted SimCity. No need to make materials or trade items and wait to be completed. With mods, the possibilities are limitless, even for unlimited money and unlocking all materials. Better yet, the Unity 3D graphics. Cities Skylines along with its DLCs is probably the best city simulation game of all time.

My final review:

Pros: Has almost everything you need to build and watch unlike what the reboot of SimCity doesn't have, no need to produce hardware materials to build residences or commercial businesses or even expand land areas since everything's automatic and the simulation goes by the hour and day.

Cons: Map layouts should have been bigger as an open-world game, requires 64-bit OS despite not a large game that uses up so much RAM... unusual for a Unity game

Grade: 84%

Edited by PurpleGaga27

According to steam I have 131 hours of playtime with Cities Skylines. I tend to come back to it every few months build a new city. The best part of the game is the workshop, there are so many mods for buildings that make it really ****ing awesome. :)

The biggest problem with the game is the traffic, but there are mods for that.

Speaking of mods in Cities Skylines:

Long ago, before I was even a fan of Command and Conquer, I'm a fan of Simcity starting from Simcity Classic(bundled with SimFarm and SimEarth), then Simcity 2000(I only plays it's Demo version(For PC) and it's gimped GBA version), Simcity 3000(my favorite until I tried any version of Cities Skylines), and Simcity 4(Never really played it as any attempt to run this game makes me left Simcity series and got into Command and Conquer series)

the reason I bought new Laptop(that uses Windows 7) is: to play Cities Skylines that I bought from Steam(where it has Steam workshop to get mods)

On 3/21/2017 at 0:58 PM, Luk3us said:

According to steam I have 131 hours of playtime with Cities Skylines. I tend to come back to it every few months build a new city. The best part of the game is the workshop, there are so many mods for buildings that make it really ****ing awesome. :)

The biggest problem with the game is the traffic, but there are mods for that.

Steam Workshop mods is also to add (zanier) Sci-fi stuff to Cities Skylines if whoever develops this game is refuses to officially add these elements. and what's the mods there that allows Subway Trains in Cities Skylines intersect with Aboveground trains?