Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

How should new music be released?

An interesting topic raised by Frank Klepacki on his Facebook page a few days ago.

So just as Frank says. One song at a time, or the whole album released?

Whole album. Other than my pretty clear fascism in regards to "old ways" of distribution, I'd like to point out that singles rarely even reach 50% of an album, and in most cases the non-singles turn out to be good songs as well. You can't say you listen to an artist/band if you only know their singles.

Album. No point in one at a time. Most of the time, the singles from an album aren't even the best. Just the catchiest.

Albums, always. Unfortunately these days, many "bands" just mix stuff on a PC which they could never play live, then it is released on Youtube one song at a time.

Frankly i prefer one song at time. Albums (not every) usually contains only one - two good songs and rest is just a filler for 60 minute CD. I have in my collection many albums, but mostly because they are recognized as "legendary" or audiophile "must have". I listen whole once for a time, but mostly in car i am looking one particular song to cheer me up after day in work :P

As the listener... more is always great... and more at the same time to 'binge' on is great for the same reason.

But as an up and coming band, perhaps a well chosen single is the best way to get your lucky break and get some exposure. So it's probably different for new vs old bands.

I would rather a great single than an album of filler though.