Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

A Guide to the New Forums

Our new forums are sort of the same, but they are really different than before. There are many new features for our members to discover. Perhaps you have found them all already. For those who haven't, I will highlight a few of them in this topic. This is based on my experiences with the new forums.

New Posting Options

The post editor is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous one. Its rather powerful now.

• Posting an image or video - Just copy and paste the link to your image into the editor box, the forums will display it for you. For images, you can double click on them to get all sorts of extra options.
  • You can share content from the likes of College Humor, Facebook, Flickr, Gfycat, Google+, Hulu, Instagram, SoundCloud, Spotify, Ted, Twitter, Vimeo, Vine, YouTube, and internal links to content within our forums.
  • If you paste in a link to share or embed the forums will by default automatically display the content. Just as you paste the link you will get a small prompt at the bottom of the post editor asking if you want to display the link instead.
  • You can type the shortcuts for emoticons, the actual images will appear in the post editor as you type.
  • Quoting other posts is easier now. You can still click on the Quote link or MultiQuote button (plus icon). A new way is highlight a selection of text and you will see a small prompt appear just above your selection asking you to "Quote This". Click on this and the quoted text appears in the post editor at the bottom of the page.
  • Quick Tip: When you quote some text is best to leave a break (empty line) below the quoted text box. Make things easier to read.
  • If you paste text with any extra formatting in it you will get a small prompt at the bottom of the post editor asking if you want to remove the formatting.
  • As you type another members name start with "@" symbol before their name. You will be prompted with a sort of auto-complete menu to enter their full name. This will also highlight their name and they will get notified of your reply. See below.
  • Press and hold the CTRL key and right click in the post editor on various elements like quote boxes, images to get more options.
  • Remember, there is no "code" or "source" editing mode in the post editor anymore.
  • [NEW] When viewing a particular forum, hover your mouse pointer over a topic link for a quick preview of the first post or latest post.
  • [NEW] If you want to add the name of a Command & Conquer game as a topic tag, just start typing the first few letters of the name and you can finish it by selecting the complete name from the list that appears.

Notifications

There are improvements to the notifications system. The original system is still present of course. Here's a summary of the new features. It is up to you to enable or disable any notifications as you see fit.

• Browser notifications. If your browser is open but you not on our forums you will get a notification appearing in the bottom right corner alerting you to something. Only Chrome and Firefox support this feature I think.
  • You can get notifications when someone "@" mentions your name in a topic.

Main Index Sidebar

We have changed the sidebar since the previous version of the forums.

• There is now two topic feeds. The first one shows the latest news topics posted in the Command & Conquer News forum. The second one is the latest topics from all of the other forums.
  • Calendar events will appear only when they are approaching their specified date.
  • Status Updates no longer show. Since we have the Chatbox we see them as irrelevant. You can use them, they appear on profile personal feed and the Activity section.

Chatbox

• [NEW] You can reply directly to another user's entry in the Chatbox by left clicking on their name.

Miscellaneous Stuff

• When you click on a topic to read, all unread posts appear below an orange line.
  • Check out the Staff page for an expanded view of the team who runs our forums.

Thats just some of the new features and things since our new forums have arrived. This will be update as more things to mention are found. If you know of something or have a problem with something else please post about it here. We need your feedback all of the time to make things better on the forums.

Guest Rabbit
13 hours ago, Sonic said:
  • Remember, there is no "code" or "source" editing mode in the post editor anymore.

• Browser notifications. If your browser is open but you not on our forums you will get a notification appearing in the bottom right corner alerting you to something. Only Chrome and Firefox support this feature I think.

I really miss the raw editing mode, is there a way to bring it back or does it not come with this version?

Also, if you're up for it, I strongly suggest replacing the default notification sound to something more related to C&C.  Might make things more interesting.  Or not, who knows.  It sounds kind of strange now.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm starting to get the hang of this new setup and I like the new notification system, makes it a lot easier to remember to reply to threads that I have posted in before.

1 hour ago, Zee Hypnotist said:

I really miss the raw editing mode, is there a way to bring it back or does it not come with this version?

Sadly, InvisionPower completely removed it.

2 hours ago, Zee Hypnotist said:

Yeah as @Plokite_Wolf said it has been removed. IPS said it would be gone and it looks like they stayed true to their word. To be honest, I don't miss it or ever need it. If you think back the old way remember who many click and key strokes you had to make to post an image? Now you just copy and paste the link to your image, the Post Editor does the rest.

Once you get to grips with how the Post Editor works now you will find it very easy to use ;) 

2 hours ago, Zee Hypnotist said:

Also, if you're up for it, I strongly suggest replacing the default notification sound to something more related to C&C.  Might make things more interesting.  Or not, who knows.  It sounds kind of strange now.

I have not heard this sound, I was not aware there was one. But yeah changing to a C&C themed sound it a good idea. I'll look into that. Assuming it can be changed.

31 minutes ago, Sonic said:

Now you just copy and paste the link to your image, the Post Editor does the rest.

I haven't found a way to center them, though. The button that works for centering text doesn't work for images.

Easy. Once the image appears click on it to highlight it then click Centre button.

A centred image....

eKt9h7Z.png

If you want to link the image to something else double click on the image and put your link in the "Link URL" field.

I noticed Plokite's favorite C&C is now shown as Tiberium Alliances (really?) in which I could tell that's not right. I am pretty sure none of the users here have Tiberium Alliances as their favorite C&C.

At least I finally did get a chance to refix my favorite C&C as C&C3 for now. ;)

Edited by PurpleGaga27

The favorite C&C icons got messed up during the upgrade. I fixed the functionality of them, I couldn't restore what everyone had set.

baf0f8f317c3eb4fe10e05ac1b8f01dd.jpg

Just kidding, love it! (Had to include a DWHO reference since new series starts this weekend!)

Oh and I've been in the internet wilderness for the past 6 weeks, but taking a week long holiday this Easter, so will catch up in no time!

I am wondering if this post should be linked down in the footer?

Under "Forum Support". I found myself looking for it when I made my first post, when I wasn't sure how to do something.

Thats a good idea, but I think the announcement on the main forum index will suffice for the time being.

I guess I was talking in terms of being deep in a thread, and not knowing how to do something, scrolling to the bottom makes that link easier to find when you're in the middle of something... 

Added a few new tips to the list above. Marked them with [NEW].