Sign in to follow this  
Stygs

Point Defense Laser

Has anyone ever managed to get a Point Defense laser like the Generals Paladin or Avenger to work?

I tried using a Laser that could only target missiles, but even when the tank was idle, it would never shoot at missiles.

Any ideas how to recreate the PDL?

I recall I tried something similar just for test and used the Nod's commando Lazer, i didn't used it on missiles though, it worked fine afair but I didn't had any rule for it so I just put it somewhere and forgot about it ever after.

Considering it never attack any missiles I assume it won't be of any help to you though...

P.s as I mentioned on my other post I had some issues with planes not shooting units when idle unless I order them to, to solve it I had to play a bit with the WeaponSlotTurret / WeaponSlotHardpoint, don't sure if you even use these codes on that tank or if it relate but the answer might be there.

I hope that reven or megumi will have better idea what cause it

Have you tried looking at the scrin storm pike weapon?

Yes, but it doenst seem to help.

Basicly, when I place a tank on my test map and attack it, it works fine and the laser kills most of the missiles.

But when I build the tank myself, it hardly seems to work. I am guessing the AI has a problem with a second turret that has such a limited array of targets.

The problem could be in turret AI logic..any chance you could/would try with a normal weaponslot instead of a turretslot? If that is possible for your design atleast.

I think Madin had a similar issue with a nod unit of his (think t was an apc with a Pd laser) he fixed iirc, that topic should be somewhere on the forum here, or you could Pm Madin.

Edited by Ravendark

The Forgotten mod had a harvester with a point defence laser (the code is public).

I put the Nod APC (that had a point defence laser style upgrade) that is in Tiberian History up for public download (code and an ability to test it out).

I think that an extremely fast turret turn (and if applicable pitch) rate is the biggest factor (for the APC I had it set at 3600 each).

Here is a note I made in the Nod APC hints article:

"A quick note about the performance. Due to the nature of the weapon code in C&C3 (which is not that good), the weapon performs best if the vehicle is set to aggressive, and the APC is allowed to pick its targets automatically.

If you manually pick a target (obviously we are talking about a target for the gun, you cannot select the missiles or rockets!), the APS will not continue to defend your APC until that target is dead. Again, this is a flaw in C&C3 weapon code (although I am always on the lookout for ways to improve the performance)."

Finally looking into how the GDI Pitbull uses a mix of Hardpoint and Turret for its dual weapons, might be worthwhile when it comes to solving the issues that C&C3 has using multiple weapons at the same time.

Yeah, thats the same problem as I have - guess there is no way around.

I was thinking about adding a contain module and with a point defense drone inside (so it can be independent from the main unit), but even if that works, it has it drawbacks.

Well, I guess I might end up using the PDL for a drone or support unit, at least that should prevent targeting issues.

You could just spawn the PD turret as a spawntemplate with a attach module, that way you can give the drone a singular weapon and set it to aqgressive but it will still look like a turret attached to the parent vehicle.

Something interesting to try might be:

Just have the laser weapon target everything but give it a ForbiddenTargetModelCondition="USER_x" or forbiddentargetobjectstatus in its weapon nugget.

Then give any unit besides missiles that status. In theory you broaden its filter but still restrict it outside of its targeting logic if that makes sense. I might help or smooth out its targeting logic. Also i would give it a hierachical turret with a different id and primary instad of secondary status.

17 hours ago, Ravendark said:

You could just spawn the PD turret as a spawntemplate with a attach module, that way you can give the drone a singular weapon and set it to aqgressive but it will still look like a turret attached to the parent vehicle.

But is there a way to determine where exactly the PD will be attached to the vehicle?

16 hours ago, Ravendark said:

Then give any unit besides missiles that status. In theory you broaden its filter but still restrict it outside of its targeting logic if that makes sense. I might help or smooth out its targeting logic. Also i would give it a hierachical turret with a different id and primary instad of secondary status.

I allready use AntiMask="ANTI_SMALL_MISSILE, I doubt that would make much of a difference.

PDL only seems to work if its a primary weapon anyway, whenever its a turret or hardpoint :/

On 5/5/2017 at 6:08 PM, Stygs said:

But is there a way to determine where exactly the PD will be attached to the vehicle?

Basically off set the mesh and bones in max so it aligns with your vehicles body when it attaches to geometry...bit of trail and error.

Another way could be to use the docking bone logic and have the turretdummy as slave. Might have to experiment with giving it a immobile locomotor or status or so.

Edited by Ravendark
spelling