Guest Rabbit

CNCNZ Updates - Autumn/Winter 2017

Guest Rabbit

Okay.  There's like three different threads where I talk about updates, so I'm going to start focusing on this one.

Here are some of the recent changes:

• The main page has a new theme.  The old version was broken in a number of ways, and so I started from scratch on the new theme.  It has a bit of a retro feel to it, in my opinion.
  • The forums will have a matching theme soon.  You can preview this theme by scrolling to the bottom of any page on the forums, clicking "Theme," and selecting "Blue, Gold theme."  Reputation works on this theme!  Note - this theme is NOT complete.  It is probably 90% complete, there's just a bunch of little details that need to be fixed.
  • The download section has returned, though it is not yet complete.  I am still adding downloads to it, but I'm taking a break because I have been working nonstop on this for two days straight.
  • SSL enabled and activated on both the main site and forums.  A malformed .htaccess file was preventing HTTPS links from working properly.

Features to come soon:

• More featured games/mods in the rotator on the main page.  We want to allow different mod teams to have their game featured.  We will have to come up with a standard so that mods have to show some promise before they are put up on the rotator.
  • Possibly allowing the submission of files.  There are security issues with uploading so we'll have to approach this concept carefully.

Things I'm still working on, but might take longer:

• Fixing slowdown issues

What I want to hear from you guys:

Are there any features or content you'd like to see either added to the site or returned to the site?

What would we be doing to make you guys want to visit more?

What kind of content do you think is just a waste of time and space, because you don't enjoy it?

2 hours ago, Zee Hypnotist said:

More monthly polls. More C&C Legos. :D

What kind of content do you think is just a waste of time and space, because you don't enjoy it?

The reputation system. It has been abused and trolled. Because I don't find it enjoying, it should retire.

Are there any features or content you'd like to see either added to the site or returned to the site?

The return of the bbcode button in a edited/created post or thread (you know... viewing the entire source code to a typed post). It was seen in Revora forums (even with the IPB update) but not here.

2 hours ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

The reputation system. It has been abused and trolled. Because I don't find it enjoying, it should retire.

Just because you get downvoted for retarded posts? We've been through this again and again, not happening. Get some brains and all will be fine.

7 hours ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

The reputation system. It has been abused and trolled.

Yes it has, but never with you as the victim. We've rolled back the real abuse, so it's not your problem.

Guest Rabbit
10 hours ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

More monthly polls. More C&C Legos. :D

The return of the bbcode button in a edited/created post or thread (you know... viewing the entire source code to a typed post). It was seen in Revora forums (even with the IPB update) but not here.

• Polls are only useful when we have something to poll about.  If we think of something, we might add it.
  • The reputation system is fine, as the others have said.  I'm sorry, but it's a solid system, and it's a trivial matter to stop/reverse actual abuse.
  • Revora still has BBCode because they are not fully updated to IPS4, as you can see at the bottom of their forums, they still have the "Community Forum Software by IP.Board" message at the bottom of their forums, which means they are on an older version.

W3D Hub tried bringing back BBcode and they have far more experienced coders than I am, and they too, failed.  IPS really didn't want to support it any more.

33 minutes ago, Zee Hypnotist said:

Revora still has BBCode because they are not fully updated to IPS4, as you can see at the bottom of their forums, they still have the "Community Forum Software by IP.Board" message at the bottom of their forums, which means they are on an older version.

Actually, they're still rocking full-on IPB3, most likely an unupdated version.

I don't have a feature or technical request, my only wish is that we work together to cure the growing autism on this forum. CnC is old and many of us play/discuss other games, CNCNZ forum is already a ghost town and who would want to register here and be a member, given that you can count the active members on your fingers, and then most of those active members have 3,000 - 4,000 posts. If RTS comes back to life then I want to recommend that people come here to discuss things (instead of Steam, GOG or another forum). This forum has the advantage of being really effing neat, not only in appearance but also because it is quieter than other communities and it's not full of crap and duplicate threads like Steam always is. I go further than Purple. Instead of getting rid of the rep system I think Zee should get rid of the rep system as well as post counts and assign everyone a custom rank of their choice (since we can count our active members on fingers). In addition to that, we should consider what type of person may like to register here in the future. There's a good chance that RTS will have a revival and for that reason I think we should make this forum more attractive to complete n00bs who may otherwise lurk here and never join.

Reputation count is for large, dysfunctional communities and post counts are irrelevant if you ask me. The only thing I want to know is whether someone is a veteran member, or an administrator. Post count is just flipping stupid and should be disabled for everyone. I use Slack to talk to people in my class and if there was a rep system or post count in there it would only bring out the stupidity in people. We don't need a rep system because in a small community we can simply tell a newcomer that Plokite_Wolf will never agree with Purple on anything, nor will he ever upvote me for using humour. I go to an IRL meetup group that always has fewer than 10 people there and we've never discussed having a rep system or a word count or anything to do with rank or contribution data. Everyone just knows everyone and if someone is new we just introduce ourselves using words, not numbers.

• Downvote 1

Guest Rabbit
10 minutes ago, jeffnz said:

I don't have a feature or technical request, my only wish is that we work together to cure the growing autism on this forum.

Good.  We can start by kicking you out.

1 hour ago, jeffnz said:

I think Zee should get rid of the rep system as well as post counts and assign everyone a custom rank of their choice

I find my vocabulary lacking in coming up with adequate words to articulate what I think of that comment. I don't mean that figuratively either, I literally started writing several responses and ended up deleting them all because I simply couldn't express myself.

I will just put it this way, the universe will suffer heat death before that happens.

• Upvote 2

Guest Rabbit

Well, anyway, to get back on track, I'd mostly like to hear big-picture features you guys would like to see added or removed.  Reputation is a small thing (a trivial matter, really, regardless of who is asking), whereas Music Monday, as an example, is an actual feature.

PurpleGaga's suggestion of adding more polls is something I like to hear.  This is an actual content-based feature that can be added to the site, no matter how difficult it may be to come up with the actual polls themselves. 

6 hours ago, jeffnz said:

nor will he ever upvote me for using humour

You call your posts humourous, I call them being edgy for the sake of being edgy. All you ever do is make some stupid comments that are deliberately made to be in dissonance with what others around you think, and to boast how "teh awesomeness" you are because you're on a quaint programming course (instead of an actual degree). Get over yourself.

6 hours ago, Zee Hypnotist said:
6 hours ago, jeffnz said:

I don't have a feature or technical request, my only wish is that we work together to cure the growing autism on this forum.

Good.  We can start by kicking you out.

Yup.

Now, off the topic of local jesters...

On 16. 09. 2017. at 4:46 AM, Zee Hypnotist said:

This is a question I'd like to stress the most rather than focusing on individual features at this point. News posts have dipped in views like never before, Music Mondays aren't really that followed despite Klepacki sharing it on his own Facebook page, and we see the same "boring" people on the forums posting occasionally. What can we do to change at least some of this?

Guest Rabbit

SSL activated on both the main site and forums.  A malformed .htaccess file was causing the issue.

20 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

Now, off the topic of local jesters...

This is a question I'd like to stress the most rather than focusing on individual features at this point. News posts have dipped in views like never before, Music Mondays aren't really that followed despite Klepacki sharing it on his own Facebook page, and we see the same "boring" people on the forums posting occasionally. What can we do to change at least some of this?

Well the forums are getting more boring without any news or any new interesting topics to discuss with. I am running out of discussion topics too, and the same goes to the Revora forums.

I am glad C&C Legos has returned. Cartoon and Conquer and Tiberian Daylight comics had ended. Community Battlecast Primetime from NodSoldierGirl, Doomtanker and Sybert had gone inactive for over a couple of years. 

Also one more thing to mention, and the one feature Sonic has done before ever since the beginning, if only Zee can bring it back.....

CNCNZ Roundtable Discussion

Edited by PurpleGaga27

Guest Rabbit

The new theme has been pushed to all users.  If you'd prefer to return to the old theme, you have the option to do so by clicking the "Theme" button at the bottom of the forums.

The old theme will remain accessible until it is buggy, I won't be supporting it anymore.  For now, enjoy the Gold and Blue!

I guess it's no coincidence that the people wanting reputation systems retired appeared to be the ones most affected by it...

Anyway, I think there is merit in a discussion about showing the post counts, for the reason Jeff mentioned.

What is the purpose of the site???

The new theme surely looks familiar which makes it look like a blast from the past. :D

As for the new CNCNZ logo, what font is it? I would like to see the return of the groovy Pepsi font because it's cool and classy.

01010010 01100101 01110000 01110101 01110100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00100000 01101110 01100101 01100101 01100100 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01100101 01111000 01110000 01100001 01101110 01100100 01100101 01100100 00100000 01110111 01101001 01110100 01101000 00100000 00100010 01000110 01100001 01100011 01100101 01110000 01100001 01101100 01101101 00100010 00101110

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

01010010 01100101 01110000 01110101 01110100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00100000 01101110 01100101 01100101 01100100 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01100101 01111000 01110000 01100001 01101110 01100100 01100101 01100100 00100000 01110111 01101001 01110100 01101000 00100000 00100010 01000110 01100001 01100011 01100101 01110000 01100001 01101100 01101101 00100010 00101110

Wouldn't that pretty much replace the negative button?

Guest Rabbit

Technically we have the option to have a number of reactions, some of which are positive, some of which are negative, and some of which are neutral.

I'm tempted to change the system a little bit, but if anything, only to make it more C&C themed.  I'm interested in making many of the icons and buttons around the forums a little more C&C themed.

Guest Rabbit

There is now a new forum for general C&C discussion.  We've always been missing something like this, I don't know why it took so long to consider it.

It's listed above all of the other Command & Conquer games.  Poke through the forum and you'll understand why it's pretty useful.

Note that the old C&C2013-related threads are still there, just in a subforum for the time being. We have no intentions of removing them, they've just been separated so that discussions that relate to multiple or even all C&C games can now have a place to be.

Modding forums have been repositioned as subforums to their respective games. Their contents remain intact.

A new forum category, The Archives, has been separated from Hosted Projects, and will have long-dead projects, cancelled game discussions, and I even scavenged the one year our defunct sister site Petro-Gamers.com used the CNCNZ.com forums as its discussion board (it's read-only).