jeffnz

Ashes of the Singularity

Someone showed me a video of this game in class today. What do you folks think - is it "real" RTS? I've never played it and I never played Sins Of A Solar Empire either.

I would say yes, but it's as far from CnC as an RTS can be.

In that case, how do they totally break the formula of CnC? What is the attraction to players if it's different? It sounds like a cool game, it motivates me to find employment ;)

Guest Rabbit

Just looking at one video, it seems to me like the biggest difference in the core mechanics of the game is C&C encourages more precise actions with limited units, whereas Ashes of the Singularity focuses more on wars with hundreds of units at a time.  In a "perfect" C&C game you would use a squad-sized number of every unit on your team (this doesn't actually happen in reality), whereas in Ashes of the Singularity, it seems that the focus is more on building a battalion to fight an enemy battalion.

Additionally, C&C is heavily campaign based.  Many players will play the entire series without playing any more than a handful of online games.  It seems that this is not the case for Ashes of the Singularity, which has an almost tutorial-like campaign.

Ashes is basically 100% macro, even more than SC2. CnC is basically 100% micro. Even though Somethingspam (seeker, scorp, bikes, etc) is quite popular in CnC you cannot just A-Move like in SC2 (which works for a critical amount of units like the Toss Deathball quite well, even in Diamond leagues). In CnC on higher levels of play there's so much harassment that it's not untypically to duke it out with 10-20 units.

Edited by Lauren