commanderKW

Are there any good games left?

This has been on my chest for a while...

There hasn't been a good, singleplayer game in a damn LONG time.

The last decent game was Dishonored 2 but that was mediocre - and quite "1 step forward, 2 steps back"

The market is 99+% either soulless, cliched AAA junk that follows a checklist, or pretentious overblown indie crap based upon a gimmick.

Recent AAAs have disappointed me repeatedly: (Watchdogs, Wolfenstein New Order, Batman Arkham Asylum, Saints Row 3, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Sims 4, Doom 2016), and I'm not even going to bother listing the indies.

I'm waiting for the day there will be a worthwhile game that gets me excited again, but my doubt grows with every passing day. My final hope is Half Life 3.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Edited by commanderKW
added ex 2

I get the feeling you're a bit of a hipster.

Plenty of great games still exist. I guess you're too busy nitpicking to find enjoyment.

• Downvote 1

1. "I get the feeling you're a bit of a hipster."  - lol I don't even

2. Name some "great games" that have come out recently for the PC

Edited by commanderKW

52 minutes ago, commanderKW said:

lol I don't even

The response of a hipster, if I ever heard one...

54 minutes ago, commanderKW said:

Name some "great games" that have come out recently for the PC

Name some "great games" that have come out ever so we know what your standards are.

Are there any good games left?

Yes. Older ones.

• Upvote 1

As for SP for the PC, that's pretty much on the decline on AAA titles recently. Most PC games today with AAA titles are iPC games now, mostly focusing on MP, in which that's not my playing focus.

• Upvote 1

What old games do you like then?

My final hope is Half Life 3.

Don't hold your breath. There's little reason for Valve to make HL3. The expectations are too high at this point, and they don't really need to develop games any more when they have the money printer known as Steam.

Were you in the army past few years? Even marines have big library of games to play...

Thousands of solid games still exist, old and new, ranging mostly to indies. Mention type of game you like so we can present you any suggestions if that's what you're looking for. Else it's mixed bag.

You check that Northgard viking RTS. Next on my list Empires Apart, looks cartoonish yet rebuilds on top of Warcraft 3 hero system. It's coming some time this year on Steam.

Some good or decent games would be:

DX Human Revolution, Dishonored 1/2, GTASA, GTAV, Quake 1/2, Half-Life 1/2, Skyrim, SW Empire at War, Battlefront 2 (2005), Sims 2, Doom 3, RTCW, HMBM, DOW, Bejeweled 3 (I shit you not, the best $5 I've ever spent)

Also, I strongly disliked CNC3 & Generals when they came out, but over the past few years they've actually become my favorites (especially KW), and I really don't like any of the old CNC games anymore, interestingly.

Edited by commanderKW

7 minutes ago, commanderKW said:

DX Human Revolution, Dishonored 1/2, GTASA, GTAV, Quake 1/2, Half-Life 1/2, Skyrim, SW Empire at War, Battlefront 2 (2005), Sims 2, Doom 3, RTCW, HMBM, Bejeweled 3 (I shit you not, the best $5 I've ever spent)

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, ok.

Lately I've spent plenty of time on BotW or Game Dev Tycoon. Although Zelda is one of best open world game i've ever played, the GDT has something unique i like to come back from time to time. Even though it gets repetetive once you unlock all available genres, I like this feeling that I've 'developed' a game. 

15 minutes ago, commanderKW said:

Also, I strongly disliked CNC3 & Generals when they came out, but over the past few years they've actually become my favorites (especially KW), and I really don't like any of the old CNC games anymore, interestingly.

Same here. 

Back in the day i loved Tiberian Sun. But for some time I can't stand the graphics, gameplay and story and prefer Generals for it's simplicity and not so dull visuals.

• Downvote 1

Prey was pretty good? But I know your feeling. I don't know if games are getting worse or if I'm to old for games? 

Expeditions: Viking is the only good game I've played this year, except for Prey. 

• Upvote 1