Sign in to follow this  
Seraphim

Best resolution setting for 1440p monitor

Hi all, I'm using the CnC-DDraw configuration tool for resolution setting and I can't find the best solution for my 1440p monitor... Anyone care to share their settings if you managed to fill the entire screen (staying relatively close to the original intended resolution) without any weird artifacts? I have my current resolution set to 1024x768, stretched to 2560x1440 with Nearest filtering and there's a huge black bar at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Seraphim

So... why haven't you just tried the exact half then? 2560x1440 divided by 2 is 1280x720. So just use that as game resolution.

The original intended resolution of the game is technically its original DOS resolution though; 320x200.  I don't advise trying to approach that in the Win95 version though. I once played TS on something like 400x300. It was very strange, lol. Though I'm fairly sure C&C95 has its minimum resolution locked on 640x400.

Note that I recently noticed that the game seems to have trouble with widths that are not divisible by four. I think it's a cnc-ddraw bug, but I'm not sure...

As for the "weird artifacts", they're covered in the manual. They're an unavoidable side effect of the first missions being smaller than the screen, and they can be cleared quite easily by opening the game's main menu.

It still baffles me that people manage to open that main menu to exit the game without noticing that that solves the problem.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your reply Nyerguds. I've tried that resolution, it gives me an even larger black bar on the right side of the screen. I must have tried every custom resolution permutation possible, I'm getting either a black bar on the right or one at the bottom of the screen. I've actually found 1024x768 using the original aspect ratio to be a good compromise (two small black bars either side of the screen).

My apologies for not reading the Readme file first, it explained a great deal.

Edited by Seraphim

Well as I said... I'd need to know what your original native resolutions are...

Also, are you sure you put it on Nearest? Because that sounds like Center (letterboxing) behaviour.

I hate to necro an old post, but this might still be useful to others: I use non-CnCDDraw and set the resolution to 800x600. The movies are still not fully centered that way, but the ingame maps are fully stretched to 1440p and centered on my display. It's what I would recommend to use.

Edited by d3vilsadvocate

On 14/06/2018 at 4:52 PM, d3vilsadvocate said:

The movies are still not fully centered that way

Of course they aren't. Videos are never centered by the game, and all logic to stretch them is part of cnc-ddraw.