Sign in to follow this  
comander starlin

Red Alert Console Gaming Mechanics

Red Alert Console Gaming Mechanics

So for me i have spent a lot of time on theses games over the years, mainly the PS1 version. they are solid games but they all lacked one thing, the joystick support. the interaction is all done via the D-Pad. but don't get me wrong this still works it just requires a different way to think and it is very easy stuff up you group selection. but for the time this was a great way to prove these types of games can work on  a gaming console. for the notes the Duel Shock controller didn't arrive until later that year so no joystick support.

The base game still feels the same and plays the same, the only obvious drawback i found has been the speed of the game. it is very hard to get the speed right, to get the pacing of the game right you have to amend the games speed. when messing with the games speed the soundtrack also speeds up to more of a normal pace.

The graphics are still great and get close to the PC contour part  but if you ever wanted the best experience i would say PC in this case. but for the fun experience for the time playing this game on a TV was a worth while and opening it up to friends that have never experienced a game like it before was always entertaining. setting skirmish missions on it's hardest setting and seeing how long you can survive was always a great challenge. and made for some entertaining arguments on how to best defend the first onslaught  before you could retaliate (chances of loosing very high).

in all i give it a worth a play. but for me i feel we are due a re visit to these games. what i would like to see is the conversion to Unity Engine for the classic games and ported to the Nintendo Switch. i feel this is one way for EA to see how that console will go with something completely different. and also will be a good way to test the market of Command & Conquer fans and build new ones, as the Nintendo Switch is a fast and Growing Market and i am excited to see how system grows. the only challenge to the market will be Petroglyph at this point with 8-Bit Armies but that games has yet to drop so we will soon see.

i am open to discussion on any of the topics raised here. and would like this topic to stay in the red alert subsection even if it sways a bit into Switch conversation the topic must keep back on the mechanics and how it could work.

Red Alert 1 on the PS1 is alright save for the derpy graphics and the occasional slow speed. Using the D-Pad can be a bit cumbersome, but you get used to it after a while. The PS1 mouse makes it a bit better.

As for supporting the joysticks on the pads. C&C1, RA1 and Dune2k for the PS1 predates the release of the Dual Analog and the DualShock controllers.

yeah that is true, i have been on the hunt for the Mouse for a while. not an easy find now but i will get one eventually. the duelshock controller came out a few months after the games but it would have fitted it so well. i also found the Sega Genesis version was a bit clunky as well but still impressive on the hardware for the time. plus the N64, the whole 3d style of feel they went for was something different with the C&C style.

The Genesis/Mega Drive version is not official.

Sorry my bad Sega Saturn, not sure why i wrote Genesis. but s have just had a fond memory at the time of writing :) but it did play alright for the time frame

Ah yes, I like the Saturn version of C&C. CD quality audio and smooth framerates :)

yeah it was a well built game on that system and it played well. i have always wondered if they were willing to give it another go, after games like Halo Wars on other consoles. i think it is a mater of finding the right system and also the right player base again. C&C 3 on the xbox was a bit clunky but it worked i just feel the halo system worked better for it. but in saying thaat touch screen has come in for the switch and for the ps4 they have the touch bar. so that is one system that can be utalised now.