Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Games of 2018

I don't think there are lot of good games this year compared to last year and past years. While Indie games are still on the rise, many game franchises that I used to know of are appearing to be dying or dead. The reboots and revivals are limited, but throwbacks to originals are still possible. While many current AAA games are full of **** these years with all of those DRM, MP and micro-transactions, I have no interest following them especially with the most popular games of Fornite and PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds. Both Fornite and PUBG are pretty much the answer to Team Fortress 2... with a MOBA style with tons of weapons and vehicles and unrealistic graphics that ruin the look of the Unreal Engine 4. The user ratings for both of those popular games are failing. I wish Unreal Tournament 4 and Renegade-X have that "battle royale" style from Fornite/PUBG.

The only 2018 games I am looking forward to are BattleTech and Two Point Hospital. The one game that I can wait further for complete content is Forged Battalion.

The following games are worth checking out before purchasing:
Black Ops IV
Battlefield V
Far Cry 5
The Crew 2
Jurassic World Evolution
Ion Maiden
PC Building Simulator
Frostpunk

Edited by PurpleGaga27

I'm not even impressed by Forged Battalion. Unreal Tournament is one of the few titles I still enjoy.

36 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Unreal Tournament is one of the few titles I still enjoy.

Is it still being developed? Are there people playing it still, and does it have offline bot support? I ask because I'll get a compatible PC very soon, and this is one of the things I'd like to try.

2 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

Is it still being developed? Are there people playing it still, and does it have offline bot support? I ask because I'll get a compatible PC very soon, and this is one of the things I'd like to try.

Yes, UT4 was on development since 2014 but it's now on hiatus since June 2017 as the only ten developers of that UT4 team are helping out the Fornite team.... only to have developed Battle Royale. And yes, UT4 does have offline bot support but lacks the commands telling the bots what to do. Last time I heard over three dozen Deathmatch and Capture the Flag maps developed by fans and developers are fully meshed.

It's just called "Unreal Tournament" now and it is available for free through the EPIC Games launcher.

BattleTech is now available for pre-order in GOG and Steam. Release date for this month of April has yet to be announced.

Both BattleTech and Frostpunk will be releasing in four days.

Here's another game worth checking out, another simulation game similar to SimCity and Cities Skylines, this time in a frozen environment and the pastime:

I decided to scratch Black Ops IV from the list after finding out from the community event summit that the game will feature a battle royale mode instead of a SP campaign, and it can only be played thru Battle.net. There are heavily mixed and negative reactions to that.

EA's response to Activision's Black Ops IV with their Battlefield V game on the way may be featuring both the SP campaign(s) and a Battle Royale mode along with the normal MP features, but no zombie mode. Will find out soon on May 23rd.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

Just found out some info for Battlefield 5. Like the last COD game, BF5 will go back to the WW2 scenario rather than a new sequel to BF4 from the modern warfare. Unlike what Black Ops 4 had featured, Battlefield 5 will not have a battle royale mode, zombie mode and loot boxes, but it will still have a SP campaign and multiplayer plus.... finally all free playable maps of the game even on future DLC releases. However EA/DICE is still open to an idea of battle royale mode in the future. Microtransactions will be limited to cosmetics only. Release date of the game for Origin... around Oct. 9 and the retail release is about ten days later.

From the looks of that, EA's BF5 > Activision's BO4.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

Not my battlefield meme? Oh, come on, I don't have a problem with women representing in any war game (especially WW2). I mean, Marvel has Captain Marvel and DC has Wonder Woman. DICE will finally have a heroine in the Battlefield series. The Call of Duty series  still has yet to have a heroine.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

11 minutes ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

Marvel has Captain Marvel and DC has Wonder Woman

Those are fictional, WWII is historical.

I care not for the historical inaccuracy, it's a bloody video game. I'm more interested how the game will feel with all these new changes.

To clarify, I couldn't care less what they do with the game. I never played any Battlefields and had no intentions of getting this one either. I am not going to waste any effort debating the role of women in historical wars. My only point was PurpleGaga27 was making an irrelevant comparison.

Not many games I know past and present have heroines, especially Lara Croft. I may not know why DICE is throwing a fictional female character(s) to be the heroine, but they may be influenced by Bioware's past RPG games involving female heroes. I believe there are games involving Marvel and DC characters, just not in the PC versions very much.

Edited by PurpleGaga27
  • Downvote 1

The new Battlefield looks like hot garbage. Will probably be the worst selling BF. Even worse than Hardline.

• Downvote 2

There should never be a game called "Active Shooter". Worst Indie title ever. https://steamed.kotaku.com/school-shooting-game-angers-steam-users-developer-like-1826336524

Even a petition to make Valve get rid of the game from Steam has been successful: https://www.change.org/p/valve-corporation-do-not-launch-active-shooter-a-school-shooter-video-game

Edit: Finally Valve removed not only the game from Steam but also the developer: https://www.pcgamer.com/active-shooter-and-its-developer-have-been-removed-from-steam

Edited by PurpleGaga27

To be honest, I'd rather Steam not remove it. Not because I wanted it, but because we really shouldn't pick and choose what game content is acceptable. If it was a movie, no one would bat an eye. Video game? Crime of the fuckin' century. To be fair, there wasn't anything redeeming about this and it wouldn't be anything special. However, that should be the focus, not the content itself.

The "developer" is a notorious Steam system abuser Ata Berdiyev (BCinteractive) who was previously banned from Steam for repeated asset theft.

8 hours ago, Doctor Destiny said:

To be honest, I'd rather Steam not remove it. Not because I wanted it, but because we really shouldn't pick and choose what game content is acceptable. If it was a movie, no one would bat an eye. Video game? Crime of the fuckin' century. To be fair, there wasn't anything redeeming about this and it wouldn't be anything special. However, that should be the focus, not the content itself.

Steam is a privately run platform. They are under no obligation to host anyone's rubbish (even though they do host a lot of rubbish).

That said, the reason why films are treated differently is because there aren't many - if indeed any - films that just show someone killing school children. Taking this list as a sample, films about school shootings focus on exploring the motives of the shooters, the aftermath, social reasons that lead to school shootings etc.

Active Shooter does nothing like that. It's just a trash game from some edgelord who thinks he's rad for making a game like this in a time with regular school shootings in America. If this game was like SWAT 4 (i.e. an actual quality game), or an interactive story type game, it would be a different story.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Doctor Destiny said:

To be honest, I'd rather Steam not remove it. Not because I wanted it, but because we really shouldn't pick and choose what game content is acceptable.

That was my first thought as well, but when I considered it, I also came to the same conclusion as TaxOwlbear in that:

1 hour ago, TaxOwlbear said:

Steam is a privately run platform. They are under no obligation to host anyone's rubbish

I don't support Steam's decision, but I can't object to them making whatever choice they want either. If Steam was being coerced by some authority, then I would have to object.

1 hour ago, TaxOwlbear said:

Active Shooter does nothing like that. It's just a trash game from some edgelord who thinks he's rad for making a game like this in a time with regular school shootings in America.

And that makes it a low-quality game, but being low-quality is a bad reason to ban a game from a platform full of low-quality games. And trying to be "edgy" certainly isn't a good reason either.

If the developer is an asset thief, that is a valid reason to give him the boot. So if that bit is true, they should act on that aspect alone and ignore all of the offended Helen Lovejoys.

8 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

The "developer" is a notorious Steam system abuser Ata Berdiyev (BCinteractive) who was previously banned from Steam for repeated asset theft.

Then that should be the reason, not the shitty ass game or the game content itself.

3 hours ago, TaxOwlbear said:

Steam is a privately run platform. They are under no obligation to host anyone's rubbish (even though they do host a lot of rubbish).

That said, the reason why films are treated differently is because there aren't many - if indeed any - films that just show someone killing school children. Taking this list as a sample, films about school shootings focus on exploring the motives of the shooters, the aftermath, social reasons that lead to school shootings etc.

Active Shooter does nothing like that. It's just a trash game from some edgelord who thinks he's rad for making a game like this in a time with regular school shootings in America. If this game was like SWAT 4 (i.e. an actual quality game), or an interactive story type game, it would be a different story.

While this much is true, it should be a platform of free expression, even if we may find the subject matter distasteful. Not everyone likes the same things and any game, regardless of subject matter, should be available on a widely used platform. If the creator is a thief, or doing other unseemly things, by all means, blow them away. However, subjective metrics lead to issues and it paints games in a poor light. Not being able to explore dark subject matter is limiting, especially when non-interactive media does it frequently.

Being an edgelord supreme does not mean the game cannot have at least some merit. While this one likely did not, that's not the real issue with it. There are plenty of tasteless games on Steam that don't get bothered.

2 hours ago, Nmenth said:

That was my first thought as well, but when I considered it, I also came to the same conclusion as TaxOwlbear in that:

I don't support Steam's decision, but I can't object to them making whatever choice they want either. If Steam was being coerced by some authority, then I would have to object.

And that makes it a low-quality game, but being low-quality is a bad reason to ban a game from a platform full of low-quality games. And trying to be "edgy" certainly isn't a good reason either.

If the developer is an asset thief, that is a valid reason to give him the boot. So if that bit is true, they should act on that aspect alone and ignore all of the offended Helen Lovejoys.

Steam is being coerced. Just not by anyone with authority, only by people with an overinflated sense of self worth. The fact is that the dude is a known shitbiscuit is the only valid reason to boot the guy. Fortunately, he is and it removes his bullshit from Steam. Acting like the game is tasteless, which it probably is, is the worst reason to do a damn thing. Had the guy been an unknown publisher, I suspect they might not have removed the game...

10 hours ago, Doctor Destiny said:

While this much is true, it should be a platform of free expression, even if we may find the subject matter distasteful. Not everyone likes the same things and any game, regardless of subject matter, should be available on a widely used platform.

Not having to host anything is within Valve's freedom of expression.

If the creator is a thief, or doing other unseemly things, by all means, blow them away. However, subjective metrics lead to issues and it paints games in a poor light. Not being able to explore dark subject matter is limiting, especially when non-interactive media does it frequently.

Active Shooter doesn't "explore" anything, as opposed to games with dark subjects, like That Dragon, Cancer (which is on Steam). Regarding "especially when non-interactive media does it frequently": Nobody is preventing the guy from making this game. He can put it on his own website if he wants to, or on other platforms. Just like not every film about school shootings has an automatic right to be screened in cinemas, or to be featured on Netflix.

Being an edgelord supreme does not mean the game cannot have at least some merit. While this one likely did not, that's not the real issue with it. There are plenty of tasteless games on Steam that don't get bothered.

"Other games are bad too" is no justification.

As for Steam allowing the game first and removing it later: That happens because Steam has no quality control in place. Otherwise, we wouldn't have had games that blatantly violate copyright (e.g. that Smash Bros clone with characters from 15+ franchises) or games with no .exe. They publish first and ask questions later.

12 hours ago, TaxOwlbear said:

Not having to host anything is within Valve's freedom of expression.

Active Shooter doesn't "explore" anything, as opposed to games with dark subjects, like That Dragon, Cancer (which is on Steam). Regarding "especially when non-interactive media does it frequently": Nobody is preventing the guy from making this game. He can put it on his own website if he wants to, or on other platforms. Just like not every film about school shootings has an automatic right to be screened in cinemas, or to be featured on Netflix.

"Other games are bad too" is no justification. 

As for Steam allowing the game first and removing it later: That happens because Steam has no quality control in place. Otherwise, we wouldn't have had games that blatantly violate copyright (e.g. that Smash Bros clone with characters from 15+ franchises) or games with no .exe. They publish first and ask questions later.

I never said Active Shooter did anything other than be faux edgy for the sake of being edgy. It's tasteless, but that alone is not a justification for a game removal. Nobody is going to bother with anything on some random dickhead's website and probably for the best. Being on Steam makes it a tad more legitimate, even if it's a shitty game. Steam has lots of shitty games but lack of quality is not a reason to remove any game. Valve leaves countless poor quality, tasteless and edgelord games on Steam. Whether or not they have quality control isn't relevant to this point. Violating laws is really the only legitimate reason to remove a game from my perspective, but Valve will do what they need to do to keep their business healthy. I don't fault them for that but I can still disagree with their choices.