Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Tencent Announces A Red Alert Mobile Game, Seems Legitimate

Chinese giant Tencent has announced a game for iOS and Android earlier today. It seems to not only be called Red Alert Online, but from what we can make out of poor support for the Chinese language in Google Translate from the official website, it appears that it is actually licensed, unlike the ripoffs we have become used to seeing over the years. This coincides not only with the rumours of a mobile C&C game being in development, but also news from 2015 announcing partnership between EA and Tencent. Your guesses are as good as ours.

UPDATE: Reddit user markedge linked to this page, showing that this is a joint project by EA, Tencent and Aiyou Interactive Entertainment, with up to 100,000 players being put on a large map.

ratencent.png

So it's basically RA2 mobile... not really excited for this one.

Although I am not super familiar with Tencent, I think if you are going for a mobile game, they have the capability to make a high quality one.

...but it's still just a mobile game. :no:

Some chinese folks on one of C&C related discords linked screenshots from tests.

image.png

image.png?width=367&height=652

I'll try to get more when possible. For me it seems like another Clash of Clans lookalike

EDIT: Okay, it appears those are not screenshots from that game. I'll still try to find something more.

Edited by Alstar

RA3 graphics look downright gritty and realistic by comparison.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if legit. Lookie here: Same art, different game. RA2 mobile clones are ridonkulously popular in China.

http://shouyou.3dmgame.com/ios/8877.html

Look at all the games with Soviet logos at the bottom of the page. Yep, all clones. Yuri clones. LOL

And I recognize the interface from a non-EA mobile game.

Edited by Alex06

2 minutes ago, Alex06 said:

Not sure if legit. Lookie here: Same art, different game. RA2 mobile clones are ridonkulously popular in China.

http://shouyou.3dmgame.com/ios/8877.html

Look at all the games with Soviet logos at the bottom of the page. Yep, all clones. Yuri clones. LOL

And I recognize the interface from a non-EA mobile game.

There are fakes, of course.

This is clearly stated to be EA-supported.

2 minutes ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

There are fakes, of course.

Oh, all right. I just can't read Chinese and didn't bother to translate, so yeah... x)

But I did see a fake/clone which had "Westwood / EA" in its title and description.

Edited by Alex06

1 hour ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

It better be.

Well I was partially right about a new C&C game on mobile after the survey I had done a few months ago. But I never knew  a better mobile version of Red Alert 2 is finally getting its hands on by the Chinese with EA supporting it. 

On the other topic which hasn't been discussed for some time....

I wonder what's the progress to the other Chinese developer team doing Generals 2 on the Unity Engine? Unless they could do it, someone else could do it. I mean, what are the chances that Tencent could make Generals 2 (with licensing support by EA) instead of EA doing it?

Edited by PurpleGaga27

2 hours ago, Inferno said:

So it's basically RA2 mobile... not really excited for this one.

RA 2 Mobile already exists, in the form of Red Alert Mobile.

2 minutes ago, TaxOwlbear said:

RA 2 Mobile already exists, in the form of Red Alert Mobile.

That was by EA back then but it was only for iOS. The latest one from Tencent will work on both Android and iOS.

2 hours ago, Nmenth said:

Although I am not super familiar with Tencent, I think if you are going for a mobile game, they have the capability to make a high quality one.

...but it's still just a mobile game. :no:

If the previous C&C mobile games are any indication, it's going to be more shallow than Dune II. I'm not dissing Dune II here, but even 25 years later, on more powerful hardware, I have yet to see a mobile games that surpasses early and basic RTS games.

1 minute ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

That was by EA back then but it was only for iOS. The latest one from Tencent will work on both Android and iOS.

I don't mean the iOS RA3. I mean the Java game by EA Romania those story links RA2 and RA3.

More links being proven:
https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2018-23-04-new-red-alert-game-announced-but-there-s-a-catch
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/red-alert-online-announced-for-mobile
https://www.destructoid.com/tencent-is-doing-red-alert-online-for-mobile-500050.phtml
https://www.resetera.com/threads/red-alert-online-ios-android-announced-tencent.38056

The negative reaction to this is something I did not expect. Besides..... Tiberium Alliances would and should have been a mobile game instead of a buggy and unstable browser game.

Also after reading his Twitter feed, I can confirm that Greg Black is NOT involved in this mobile game project with Tencent.

Edited by PurpleGaga27
  • Like 1

Looks almost like a RA2 port at first glance, not just a game based on RA2.

The game doesn't seem to have been made with adding to the C&C universe in mind. Maximum continued profit potential and minimum development cost seems to be what they were aiming for. Those are my two cents... or rather ten.

Edited by AZ-Stalker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I hope to god this isn't the actual C&C news coming out next month at E3. I don't want this mobile garbage and hopefully this is just some forgettable tie-in crap with a release of a REAL C&C game. 

Honestly, I shouldn't feel bad about it at all. There is a new great C&C game that is not a mobile garbage being constructed.... oh... and you can play it already, for free ;). And modify it to fit your needs too ;).

2 hours ago, Banshee said:

There is a new great C&C game

"new"

Way to make one feel old, B.