Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

What's the first game you really loved?

I saw this new article discussion in PC Gamer recently, and I decided to pass this question along.

For me, when I was a little kid it was neither Super Mario Bros/Startropics on the NES nor Duke Nukem 3D on the PC that loved me, because that time I wasn't really able to handle controls correctly, until I saw C&C Red Alert and man it was that RTS I still love back then thru today with the excellent usage of music, sound and gameplay.

So what's the first game you really loved?

It's either Prince of Persia (DOS) or Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, my memory is a bit fuzzy on which of these I learned about first, probably PoP still but I love both :)

Crystal Castles. Atari 2600 version, not arcade. First game I really played frequently and grew to adore, even though it was actually really hard. Beating a level I hadn't beaten before was a triumph.

That's gonna show my age... :p

Edited by Doctor Destiny

26 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Duke Nukem 1.

With responses like that, you're all gonna make me feel super old. XD

19 hours ago, Doctor Destiny said:

With responses like that, you're all gonna make me feel super old. XD

Spit it out then, doc :)

3 hours ago, Inferno said:

Spit it out then, doc :)

I'm nearing my mid-30s. :P

Edited by Doctor Destiny

Hard question. I think it was Super Mario World. I am not sure. It really made me buy SNES at that time. But my strongest passion was with Mario 64. It was really a revolution as the original code name of its console claimed to be.

Guest Rabbit

The Dig was the first game that I ever really connected with.  I've played countless other games, but honestly The Dig remains to this day one of my favorite games. The Steam re-release made me happy because it meant more people could try it out.

The ending was a little fucky, I'll be honest, but the mystery and the exploration of an alien world was very exciting to me. The Dig got me interested in space, the idea of alien life, and small geometric shapes.

As a bonus, Maggie was voiced by the same voice actress that voiced Sakura in Renegade, and the Allied Hover Transport in Yuri's Revenge.

"Love" is not a word I would use to describe anything I happen to like. I do not possess that sort of emotional connection to things. If reworded to "what is the first game that really inspired me" there are two I can think of that made me want to design games.

One was Zeliard, a platform-action RPG. This game introduced me to the general RPG concepts of story-driven adventure and tiered equipment.

The other was ZZT, a game that came with its own world editor and scripting language. This platform is where I could build my first real games.

Every few years, I still play through Zeliard as I still think it is a great game. And although I don't really edit on ZZT anymore, a game that I am currently working on is a remake of something I did first create on it.

Also, although these games are quite old, DD is almost a year older than me, so he is still super old. :P

I actually think I liked Arctic Adventure before any other. Took me a while to find it, though.

I remember that game. Only the first quarter of the full game was shareware, so that's all I played of it.

Dangerous Dave; one of John Romero's really old ones :)

Not that I had any idea who John Romero was back then :P

• Like 1

I have been playing WoW for a really long time. It is also the video game I spent the most time on. I vividly remember making a night elf, logging in Teldrassil, and looking at the giant trees and the vibrant colors in awe. From that day onward, I became a fan of the World of Warcraft and the game became my favorite place to visit. I love the universe, I love the art of WoW, raids give me a thrill and PVP is a lot of fun. I enjoy the thrill of improving my character through professions, gear, etc. I can log in and have a variety of things to do depending on my moods such as M+, PvP, farming for mounts and transmogs, or whatever. And I get quite a bit of entertainment through buying wow gold. I tried many MMOs since, even the well-known FFXIV, but they lack something, they are not as charming, the races feel empty, the lore hollow, and it just doesn't feel like home the way WoW does.

Edited by Kaiepherd

We had a DOS PC when I was a kid which came with some games. ALDO and Commander Keen were on it as well as Alien Breed and a couple more.

Later we got a mouse that was cool.