Sign in to follow this  
Plok

TotalBiscuit Passed Away at 33

TB obituary.png

The well-known gaming critic and commentator, John Peter Bain, known as TotalBiscuit, has sadly passed away yesterday after a battle with cancer. He has left a significant mark in the world of gaming, not only as a provider of entertaining and interesting content, including WTF Is... and the Co-Optional Podcast, but has also advocated consumer-friendly practices and gave numerous shout-outs to indie games and YouTube channels that were just getting started.

The Command & Conquer community will also remember his features of some of its largest community projects - Renegade-X and OpenRA, which gathered hundreds of thousands of views and contributed to their popularity. His sense of humour didn't evade the C&C series either, as one trip to Paris showed.

TotalBiscuit will be missed. May he rest in peace.

• Upvote 1

Quite a few years ago I was a big fan of his WTF is series. I also loved the fact that he covered some of the C&C community's mods and games over the years. Even though I haven't watched any of his vids in a long time, it's sad to see him go. Rest in peace TB.

• Upvote 1

I thank you for posting this, Wolf. Was a very good gesture on your part. I know that Jon was a huge C&C and just plain huge RTS fan. It was tragic that he had to pass on because unfortunately he was not treated correctly with his bowel cancer. Our "great" American healthcare system at work! This also brought up a lot of personal feelings of the recent loss of my mother last December due to ALS so I share the pain that his wife, Genna and his step-son as well as his extended family are going through right now.

I sorta fell out of favor with him due to him getting mad at his wife for not voting for Hillary Clinton and calling her a "nazi" (in which he very much rightfully apologized for) and him kinda weather-vanning of his views and maybe being a bit of a prick to his fans on streams. But when I hear he was taking a turn for the worse, all that went to the wayside and I started to remember what I liked him in the first place. At least I wasn't like this asshole, https://segmentnext.com/2018/05/26/david-cooks-celebrate-totalbiscuit-death/

But he did a lot for PC gaming and regardless if you fully agreed with him or not, he at least spoke his mind and gave it to you straight and that is what made him pretty awesome.

RIP Jon, you will be miss be me and many others. :(

30 minutes ago, neojames82 said:

I never approve of people openly celebrating anyone's death. If it was a terrorist or something, it would at least be understandable, but to celebrate the death of a game critic is just ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, Nmenth said:

I never approve of people openly celebrating anyone's death. If it was a terrorist or something, it would at least be understandable, but to celebrate the death of a game critic is just ridiculous.

I fully agree. I mean, I'm not saying you have to mourn the death of every person in the world, nor feel sorry if they died. But for God's sake, you one, work in a professional industry like gaming and two, you have a public Twitter account. Did you really think that people, not to mention your employer, wouldn't have noticed you talking ill of someone that JUST died just because OH NO, they criticized your game and disagreed with your views???!!!! This is one of those things where the saying "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all" is fully applicable here.

I'll say this though, as much bad mouthing I've given to Bioware lately, I am glad that the GM Casey Hudson have the decency to make an apology for his behavior and also promptly fired from Bioware as well. I also hope that he will be fully blacklisted from working in the gaming industry as well.

1 minute ago, neojames82 said:

I also hope that he will be fully blacklisted from working in the gaming industry as well.

Bad mouthing a critic, alive or otherwise, should not be career suicide.

But was he fired for it? I was under the impression he did not work for Bioware anymore at the time he posted that.

I would not support him getting fired for it either, if that was the case. Maybe temporarily suspended if he represented Bioware through the same Twitter account. I am sick of people expecting companies to take on the duty of morally judging what their employees say on their own time on their personal platform, and sick of companies kowtowing to such demands.

On 28/05/2018 at 8:33 PM, Nmenth said:

Bad mouthing a critic, alive or otherwise, should not be career suicide.

But was he fired for it? I was under the impression he did not work for Bioware anymore at the time he posted that.

I would not support him getting fired for it either, if that was the case. Maybe temporarily suspended if he represented Bioware through the same Twitter account. I am sick of people expecting companies to take on the duty of morally judging what their employees say on their own time on their personal platform, and sick of companies kowtowing to such demands.

Sorry but I disagree. Yes, he was working for them at the time, btw. But when you work for a company, you are working under their guidelines and their rules to where you signed a contract that your "personal" Twitter account can be used against you. We live in a different world now where your employer will look at your actions both online and off. You never really speak ill of a dead, not over someone who disagrees with you.

10 hours ago, neojames82 said:

You never really speak ill of a dead, not over someone who disagrees with you.

If you don't want people to speak ill of you after you died, try to be a nice person while you are still alive.

TaxOwlbear, no one will be able to please greeks and trojans at the same time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TaxOwlbear said:

If you don't want people to speak ill of you after you died, try to be a nice person while you are still alive.

It's not about criticizing him after he's dead, it's celebrating his death. Unless he's a serious criminal or evil dictator who killed millions, he doesn't deserve that.

• Like 1