Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Redwood Studios Call For "Fair Shake" On C&C: Rivals

cncnznews.png

The developers at Redwood Studios seem to be highly aware of the overwhelmingly negative response to the recent announcement of Command & Conquer: Rivals. The studio's general manager, Michael Martinez, whom we have first seen at EA Play on Saturday, told Eurogamer today that while they are fighting an uphill battle against an already sceptical audience, they want the game to be judged solely on the gameplay, and invites everyone (n.B. only players from the United States and Canada currently have access to the pre-alpha) to try it out and "give it a fair shake".

Game designer Greg Black, whose return to EA last November sparked hope for C&C fans of a new RTS considering his prior work, added how he too was originally sceptical of the game when it was first presented to him, but as he played more of it, he began enjoying it more. They do not seem to be all that confident, however, as when Eurogamer asked whether they will be able to "win round the sceptics", Martinez merely said that it would be a challenge. You can read the full article by Wesley Yin-Poole by clicking here.

Ah, I was just reading this article and had some things I wanted to say about it. Convenient timing for it to pop up here.

"For us, at its core an RTS is all about building an army, controlling an army and then dominating an enemy with that army," Redwood Studios general manager Michael Martinez told Eurogamer at EA Play 2018.

That is all at the tactical level. The S in RTS is part of what draws people to the genre. As long as developers keep leaving the S by the wayside, we will never get a proper RTS.

... we're so excited about the pre-alpha. ... Rivals is already playable in pre-alpha form ... monetisation is not in the pre-alpha build ... Rivals' pre-alpha will be key for the developers ... they've made the game playable, even in this pre-alpha state

Apparently so many early-access type games have saturated the gaming world, every game development team thinks they can just toss around the "pre-alpha" label. Technically, the alpha and beta stages of game development are not clearly defined, but I think it is a pretty hard case to claim the game isn't solidly in an alpha stage, even close to beta, right now. If you can play a full match and get a winning state, that isn't pre-alpha in my book.

• Upvote 1

"That's always been the bane of RTS games - they're just a super hard thing to get into. And this really isn't. It's really intuitive."

Then explain the millions upon millions of worldwide RTS players since 1992. If something as complex as RPGs and TBSes can be popular to this day, so can RTSes, but the only fact that it isn't already is that 10 years ago every corporation abandoned it because brain-absent managers told their studios that it wasn't profitable based on jack shit.

"If we were to give you all of the content right away, that would actually be overwhelming."

I'm just gonna plant this here.

I saw it on Facebook. It got a laugh.

Give it a fair shake...nope, not even once. I honestly hope it does flop and flop hard.

Yeah here's my shake on it, it's not C&C. 

• Like 1

I'll fairly judge it by the standards of Command & Conquer mobile titles.

Sigh. Why won't they leave this game alone. Its like leaving a bad relationship only to find your ex at your doorstep ....again.....

The only scenario i see this mobile pos working is if they once and for all address the issue at hand.

And that is make a bloody successful RTS already!!!

When they've proven that. Then the numb skulls can go and branch out. 

Might have to spell it for EA or who ever keeps running this franchise to the ground. 

I hope it fails. And i hope it keeps failing until they see its impossible unless they make a RTS!

That video is rich, coming from someone who was incredibly disinterested on Rivals in his own re-stream of EA Play and who clearly doesn't know two shits about C&C.

7 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

That video is rich, coming from someone who was incredibly disinterested on Rivals in his own re-stream of EA Play and who clearly doesn't know two shits about C&C.

What do you mean?

1 hour ago, neojames82 said:

What do you mean?

He's angry over the fact that the guy said Westwood knew how to make C&C games and ever since EA games have been shit. I guess people are not entitled to having a different opinion.

• Downvote 1

Oh...yes....that little debate. Look I'll just say this, yes, Westwood made mistakes and all with C&C and EA wasn't fully to blame with C&C's downfall AT FIRST!!!

But we know that EA eventually digging their dirty claws into the franchise lead to where we are now, which is Rivals, which you cannot deny at all that it is fully EA's fault.

I thought we were on the same team here with regards to EA, for sure even more so with the reveal of Rivals.

Edited by neojames82

5 hours ago, neojames82 said:

What do you mean?

(timestamped, look at how "pissed off" he is, shown by his complete lack of interest on what's going on)

4 hours ago, Inferno said:

He's angry over the fact that the guy said Westwood knew how to make C&C games and ever since EA games have been shit. I guess people are not entitled to having a different opinion.

Honestly, fuck you. 

1. You're not me, therefore you don't know why I said that.

2. That's really not the reason. Sure I hate him for that too because he can't research worth shit despite his façade of going through a few articles just to get more views by appearing "informed".

3. You will not try to put words in my mouth and reduce my points to something so moronic.

6 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

(timestamped, look at how "pissed off" he is, shown by his complete lack of interest on what's going on)

Honestly, fuck you. 

1. You're not me, therefore you don't know why I said that.

2. That's really not the reason. Sure I hate him for that too because he can't research worth shit despite his façade of going through a few articles just to get more views by appearing "informed".

3. You will not try to put words in my mouth and reduce my points to something so moronic.

Holy shit dude, you need to fucking relax.

1. No fucking shit. Nobody is stupid enough to take my word for it.

2. So what is the reason then? That he hates the look of Rivals? That he didn't care about the release of a new C&C game? Can you really blame him after all the shit EA pulled so far?

3. I'm entitled to stating my opinion just as much as you're entitled to responding the way you did. There's no need to start censoring anyone here. Honestly, you're taking this way more seriously than I ever intended.

Anyway, if you were offended by this (which it certainly looks like), I apologize. 

Edited by Inferno

7 minutes ago, Inferno said:

2. So what is the reason then? That he hates the look of Rivals? That he didn't care about the release of a new C&C game? Can you really blame him after all the shit EA pulled so far?

You got my answer in the previous post. He's flip-flopping his stance on Rivals.

11 minutes ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

You got my answer in the previous post. He's flip-flopping his stance on Rivals.

Just watched the video, you're right on the dot on that one. He clearly doesn't give a shit about C&C and probably just made that video complaining about Rivals to make some buck.

Edited by Inferno

On 3/07/2018 at 4:03 PM, Plokite_Wolf said:

That's really not the reason. Sure I hate him for that too because he can't research worth shit despite his façade of going through a few articles just to get more views by appearing "informed".

Yeah, I agree with Sheldon on this one. Virtually ALL of YongYea's videos are just him showing a few articles, reading said articles (seriously, does he think that his viewers can't read?), and adding a little bit of commentary. 

Also it's glaringly obvious that this guy's never played a CNC game in his life and is just acting angry to appear relatable. I mean seriously, he compared it to STARCRAFT?! After they freaking SHOWED the GDI logo and said GDI's name out loud? He couldn't even tell that it was a CNC game until they showed the logo. Yeah, Hollywood class acting right there, pal.

Edited by ssskoopa

I think the main purpose of YongYea's channel is to keep his viewers informed about industry news in a convenient way. That said, he doesn't seem be very well informed about C&C, otherwise he would be aware that the most popular C&C titles (in my experience Red Alert 2, Generals, C&C3) were all developed under EA.

On the topic of Rivals: It's a mobile game through and through, not just in the sense that it's on Android/iOS. It has a everything that screams mobile: Random rewards, pay to win, bogus currencies, only so much levelling per day to ensure that players play every X hours, even basic stuff has to be unlocked, tiny upgrades that give you the illusion of progress but are meaningless until you accumulate a ton of them etc.

I played one match against another human (the tutorials are vs. the CPU). The other guy had a little more experience than me and the game was somewhat balanced... until I build a single Titan, which I had drawn from a reward crate just before the match. The other guy had nothing he could use against it effectively and just lost.

1 hour ago, TaxOwlbear said:

I think the main purpose of YongYea's channel is to keep his viewers informed about industry news in a convenient way.

Anyone can read text out loud with little to no commentary or investigation. Also anyone can lie about their feelings on something for views and subs.

I didn't say that it's high content. Just that there is big enough audience for it.

17 hours ago, TaxOwlbear said:

I played one match against another human (the tutorials are vs. the CPU). The other guy had a little more experience than me and the game was somewhat balanced... until I build a single Titan, which I had drawn from a reward crate just before the match. The other guy had nothing he could use against it effectively and just lost.

Exactly, the way this game handles unit basically ensures that it's never going to be balanced. It's just like how CNC4 handled unit progression, except even worse because it's randomized. How EA keeps claiming that it's balanced when this is just another pay to win game is absolutely hilarious to watch.