Sign in to follow this  
KanickelKanone

Any way to change the version from 1.09?

So i wanted to play the C&C3 campaign on hard, after playing through it on the normal difficulty a year ago. But after reading the forums i've read that the 1.09 patch made the campaign impossible to beat if you are not a god in micro managing. So is there any way to change the game version from 1.09? I own the game in Steam and I've read that there are some start up commands but it has been also said, that these only work if you already installed other previous patches. Would it be possible to download a 1.08 patch and use it through the startup command or would it not work because the newest version is already installed through steam? Or are there any mods which balance the campaign?

I don't think you can downgrade the Steam or Origin version, but I've never tried it myself. The easiest way is probably just to buy a physical copy of the game. A quick search shows that you can get the game for under £2, which is dirt cheap - cheaper than the Steam version.

That said, you don't need to be that good at micro to beat the campaign on hard with the latest patch. Most missions are just a little harder, some are possibly easier due to the stat changes, and the IMO hardest mission (the final Nod mission) requires a good plan but only moderate amounts of micro.

On 17/07/2018 at 2:30 AM, KanickelKanone said:

Would it be possible to download a 1.08 patch and use it through the startup command or would it not work because the newest version is already installed through steam? Or are there any mods which balance the campaign?

You need only the 1.00-1.08 skudef and cnc3game.dat files, which the Steam and Origin versions lack, and even then you'll need those cnc3game.dat files to be cracked. Using the patchers will only fuck your installation up.

On 17/07/2018 at 2:30 AM, KanickelKanone said:

made the campaign impossible to beat

Bullshit. Harder, maybe, but not impossible.

Trust me when I tell you he's half right

similar to KW's 1.01 EA showed they cared little for what happens in the campaign (and AI) compared to the online gameplay, 

in both cases the main issue is that because they changed things in the economic system while leaving anything else untouched, you will run out of money x4 faster (one of the main reasons is cause they also leave the maps untouched...in TW's case at least)

The end result is a gameplay that not really friendly for newcomers (KW also suffer from the same issue and it mostly noticeable at mission 7 iirc where you need to kidnap this scientist and always run out of money before you can do anything, I tested it so many times on all difficulties with 1.00 and  1.02 to the point it made me puke)

So while it not impossible it not something I'm going to recommend to people who want to enjoy their camp.

As for the issue, as plokite said you need some skudef files which the digital stores versions are missing, after you have them you can either change something in them with a notepad ,or open the game with replay of older version to force it to run old version

To make things way more easier though Bibber made this tool which allow us to switch between versions with less effort

https://bibber.eu/downloads/cnc-version-selector/

Edited by Egozi44

So there is no way to download the skudef files anywhere? I already searched for them but i couldn't find them. So if there is no way to download them i guess i have no other option than beating them on the current version, which is most likely to be a pain in the ass but I'll try it anyways.

Thank you guys :D

On 18/07/2018 at 7:58 PM, Egozi44 said:

To make things way more easier though Bibber made this tool which allow us to switch between versions with less effort

https://bibber.eu/downloads/cnc-version-selector/

And just how do you think that works with the necessary files missing, genius? :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, KanickelKanone said:

So there is no way to download the skudef files anywhere?

There used to be EA's official FTP which now seems to be down, but you'd still need the cnc3game.dat files, which would be from the retail versions or cracked, and there's no telling how Steam/Origin versions would perform with those.

So not only does EA not really frequent their updates for these games, they even fail to notice the difference between the units during the campaign vs. them during online play. I mean, can't you make the stats for the units different in each mode? Pretty sure you can, but that's probably asking too much for these "professionals".

9 hours ago, neojames82 said:

I mean, can't you make the stats for the units different in each mode?

They did in RA3.

They also did that in TW, but only for specific stuff on a per mission basis.

On 19/07/2018 at 10:45 PM, Plokite_Wolf said:

And just how do you think that works with the necessary files missing, genius? :rolleyes:

I just said it in general, but just in case you missed

as plokite said you need some skudef files which the digital stores versions are missing,