Sign in to follow this  
Madin

Artillery misfire issues

I was wondering if anyone has has any luck, or has any ideas, how to deal with occasional long range artillery misfires.

I have a ballistic missile based artillery, and because it cannot have a 'full' turret (it is a missile set on a truck), occasionally the missile will fail to launch. When it fails, the missile will disappear as if launched, but no projectile will head towards the target, and worse of all you will then have to wait for the reload same as if the projectile actually launched!

I had this issue a long time ago (so long that Golan was still around), and in the end that time I had to make the M110 artillery body a 'turret' (which looks stupid). This time I cannot do even that.

Weapon hard point, Weapon turret with deflection limits, acceptable aim delta, with or without deploy AI,none of these things make a difference.

any ideas? (all the artilleries in C&C3 have a fully functional turret ie no deflection limit).

Is the visual range of the unit shorter or the same as the attack range of the weapon? If the unit tries to shoot outside it's visual range it will fail to fire. It could be possible that the weapon fire bones just on the point of being in range and out of range, why the "occasional missfire".

Edited by TheHostileNegotiator

9 hours ago, TheHostileNegotiator said:

Is the visual range of the unit shorter or the same as the attack range of the weapon? If the unit tries to shoot outside it's visual range it will fail to fire. It could be possible that the weapon fire bones just on the point of being in range and out of range, why the "occasional missfire".

Thanks for your answer. Sadly it is not the cause!

Wish I knew more about artillery to help :/

I do recall there was miss percents code or other weapon miss code, but these not seem to be relate to your current issue,

Based on your track model, you sure you can't cut the part from the rear where the missiles coming out from and set it as separate turret?

If it some game limitation the only things that usually save us from it are messing with the definitions, try lua hacks, or tricking the game in one way or another with xml codes or some settings to the model file (if the game hate it for whatever reason).

I had the same problems when I tried removing the specter's turret... I think it's an engine limitation

1 hour ago, commanderKW said:

I had the same problems when I tried removing the specter's turret... I think it's an engine limitation

I think I agree with you.

As an experiment, you could try using the Stealth Tank (or make a copy) and give it "Artillery parameters" such as long vision and attack range. See the results and maybe make something work with your original truck.

17 hours ago, TheHostileNegotiator said:

As an experiment, you could try using the Stealth Tank (or make a copy) and give it "Artillery parameters" such as long vision and attack range. See the results and maybe make something work with your original truck.

I have done lots of tests in the past, I was mainly wondering if anyone had come up with a solution.

I don't know if it will work on TW, but you can look on soviet V4 launcher in Red Alert 3. It could help.

2 hours ago, NightWind said:

I don't know if it will work on TW, but you can look on soviet V4 launcher in Red Alert 3. It could help.

RA3 weapon code has quite a few fixes. It seems much better than C&C3 code.