Sign in to follow this  
Nmenth

Nmenth's Research Lab: Nukes

NRL-Logo.png

It is the first Monday of December, so it is time for another article from Nmenth's Research Lab. This month, we will examine the Nukes in Command & Conquer and see how they compare with real nuclear technology.

This article marks the end of this format of Nmenth's Research Lab, which has now run for twelve months. Unfortunately, there are a finite number of concepts that can be considered throughout the series. That said, there are still many of some interest that were not covered, primarily due to insufficient material to stretch out into a full article. So when Nmenth's Research Lab returns in 2019 on the 7th of January, it will cover a range of lesser technologies instead of just one.

• Like 1

Nice one. I love that image of Tsing Shi Tao.

That said, what;'s with the Desolator? It seems to fire some sort of radiation beam that instantly kills infantry. Is there anything even remotely like this, or is that complete fantasy tech?

To be honest, I'm not sure, which is why I didn't actually include them in the article. I think it might be possible, but as far as I know, no such device has ever been developed. And I suspect the reason for that is that it is unlikely such a weapon would be very efficient. It would probably require a lot of power to operate, have pretty bad range (since radiation is absorbed by the air, which is why the sun isn't currently killing us all right now and also why neutron bombs are so small - their blast area has to be smaller than the distance their radiation can reach), and probably would not be able to guarantee death as too many factors (such as exposure time, distance, and material between weapon and target) could interfere with it. "Living" through it would almost certainly be a horrible experience with possible later death due to radiation poisoning, or even later death due to cancer, which I'm sure would very quickly lead to it being banned as a war crime.

Yeah, a gun that makes your enemies die of cancer five years later doesn't seem very efficient on the battlefield :P

By the way, I'm fairly sure the RA1 manual states that the demo truck is remote controlled...

[edit]

Yep, it does! "drone unit".

demotruck.thumb.png.c0b0ee09296da30077d9f3b11dd2dee2.png

1 hour ago, Nyerguds said:

the RA1 manual states that the demo truck is remote controlled

Luckily, that doesn't change anything. It is still a suicidal attack, just robot suicide instead of human.

I don't think you know what "suicide" means :haha: