Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Jim Vessella's Update on C&C Remasters

97KccUg.png

About half an hour ago, Jim Vessella posted an update on the progress with Command & Conquer: Remastered and Red Alert: Remastered on the C&C subreddit, which we bring you in its entirety:

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

It’s been a little over a month since we announced details about Command & Conquer Remastered, and we continue to be humbled by the excitement from the community. To provide a quick update on our development timeline, I’m excited to share that Petroglyph officially started development in December and are well underway with their pre-production items. Lemon Sky is equally hard at work, and already generating some of our first pieces of concept art. We can’t wait to begin sharing more about the development, and discussing many of your suggestions in the feedback thus far.

Speaking of which, the team at Petroglyph, Lemon Sky, and myself have been actively reading your questions and comments here on Reddit. I wanted to acknowledge some of the top questions we’re hearing:

• What is the difference between a Remaster and a Remake?
  • What visual approach are you taking – 2D or 3D?
  • Do you have the original source code?
  • What technology / engine are you using for the game?
  • What is going to happen with the FMVs?
  • What quality of life improvements are you considering?

While we’re not ready to answer all of these questions just yet, they are top of mind as we continue our pre-production work. In the meantime, I would like to address one of the more popular questions: Is this a remaster or a remake?

This is a remaster. Our intention is to keep the story, script, and content as authentic as possible to the original games, while providing much higher fidelity with modern quality of life improvements. As Joe stated in his initial post, the Command & Conquer look and feel is incredibly important to us, and will be one of the benchmarks we judge every decision against.

Just as important, we want to deliver on our commitment to ensure the community has a strong voice in how we remaster C&C. As a first step in this goal, I’m eager to announce we have officially formed the Command & Conquer Remastered Community Council. The Community Council is a group of 13 of the most dedicated C&C Community leaders, ranging from key mod developers, to streamers, and web admins. This group will have a direct line of access to myself and the Petroglyph dev team, and will be a critical sounding board for design discussions and artistic feedback. They will also act as a voice for the community, advocating for what all of you feel are the most important topics to consider.

Keep in mind that because of the depth of their involvement, they are all under NDA and will be limited in what they can discuss publicly. Please respect their adherence to this NDA to ensure we can continue this initiative going forward. We’ve already had our first call between Petroglyph and the Community Council, and expect many more positive conversations over the upcoming months. If there are topics you wish for us to discuss with the Council, please continue to post them here on Reddit or social channels.

Thanks again for your ongoing support, and we’re looking forward to providing another update in the New Year.

Happy holidays!

Jim Vessella

Jimtern

• Upvote 2

Say, Plokite. I wonder if you are involved in that new council?

12 minutes ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

Say, Plokite. I wonder if you are involved in that new council?

I would have to guess probably, but...NDA. So I doubt he can say anything.

artworks-000211962694-gcfgrf-t500x500.jp

NO.

1 hour ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

NO.

Wait, for real? I'd figure they'd have asked you, as the admin of CNCNZ, at the very least...

8 minutes ago, Alex06 said:

Wait, for real? I'd figure they'd have asked you, as the admin of CNCNZ, at the very least...

Oh I've had dealings with them, that's the reason why.

I don't think that these dealings that you had with them is the reason  behind you not being invited. It is probably a mix of lack of famous C&C players and not enough popularity for their standards. But I think you are still doing well on their list and would be one of the next names for it, if they ever decide to invite more people.

Edited by Banshee

12 minutes ago, Banshee said:

I don't think that these dealings that you had with them is the reason  behind you not being invited. It is probably a mix of lack of famous C&C players and not enough popularity for their standards. But I think you are still doing well on their list and would be one of the next names for it, if they ever decide to invite more people.

Oooh, did you get one, by any chance? :p

Well according to Wyatt:
https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/a7fje4/remaster_update_and_community_council/ec358bj

Tore, Hyper, and Pchote are confirmed to be in the council.

Not sure if any of the guys from GameReplays will be in it. (ie. Methuselah, Netput, AgmLauncher, Technique, ToxicShock)

Edited by PurpleGaga27

14 hours ago, Banshee said:

I don't think that these dealings that you had with them is the reason  behind you not being invited. (...) But I think you are still doing well on their list and would be one of the next names for it, if they ever decide to invite more people.

Do you even know me?

14 hours ago, Banshee said:

It is probably a mix of lack of famous C&C players and not enough popularity for their standards.

...what's this mean?

16 hours ago, Banshee said:

That's because most of the famous people from the C&C community have pretty much left/retired after putting up with EA's nonsense and lack of interest in the series for over a decade.

Now that Plokite has declined and Banshee not invited, I haven't heard anything from Nyerguds or Iran (the user) yet. With those experiences in C&C95 and RA1, they can provide the most input to the developers during this remastering process.

1 hour ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

Now that Plokite has declined

You can't decline what you're not invited for, genius.

On 19/12/2018 at 6:06 PM, neojames82 said:

That's because most of the famous people from the C&C community have pretty much left/retired after putting up with EA's nonsense and lack of interest in the series for over a decade.

I decided to channel my motivation and interest in the C&C games into something more constructive and positive, doing my bit keeping the community alive. If people choose to leave, they can not complain that the community is "not what it used to be".

On 19/12/2018 at 9:47 PM, PurpleGaga27 said:

Now that Plokite has declined and Banshee not invited, I haven't heard anything from Nyerguds or Iran (the user) yet. With those experiences in C&C95 and RA1, they can provide the most input to the developers during this remastering process.

It's nice to know people remember all the hard work and research I put in over the past 14+ years, even before these projects existed, it was the foundation that helped Nyerguds produce his C&C patch, and Iran's RA patch was based on my early work before I moved on to work on Chronoshift.

On 21/12/2018 at 2:05 PM, CCHyper said:

It's nice to know people remember all the hard work and research I put in over the past 14+ years, even before these projects existed, it was the foundation that helped Nyerguds produce his C&C patch, and Iran's RA patch was based on my early work before I moved on to work on Chronoshift.

Absolutely. Hyper helped me out a ton in the early days, and loads of the more advanced developments in the 1.06 patch could never have happened without his help. We started on fan-patching together, but he's always been way more motivated than me in getting to the bottom of things and figuring out exactly how it all worked.

For my 4600th post..... Agreeing with Hyper on his original foundation, I wish you could help out the council and team up with Hyper on this one, Nyerguds.