brazzjazz

Is it possible to load another ddraw.dll alongside the patch's own one? (ReShade)

Currently I have to choose between the extended DirectDraw options of the patch and ReShade (if you're unfamiliar, it's a post-processing tool by DLL injection, see reshade.me). To be more precise, the second ddraw.dll is actually from dgVoodoo 2 (http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html), as it is a wrapper from Direct3D 5-7 to 11, and ReShade needs at least Direct3D 9 to work. Is there a way to load both ddraw.dll's? Or to get C&C to get wrapped up to D3D9 or higher another way, so I could skip dgVoodoo2? I have already tried renaming the second ddraw.dll to another standard DLL name that gets picked up by Windows, such as opengl32.dll or dsound.dll, but either the DLL doesn't get picked up or there is an error complaining about a mission hook in DDraw (other DLLs can mess with DirectDraw as well apparently).

Windows 10 x64, installed from Origin, applied 1.06 rv3 (most recent), nothing else.

Thanks

Edited by brazzjazz

Uhhh... why on earth do you think you would need Direct3D 9? This is a 100% 2D game. I'm not really sure I understand your issue here. Why do you want to use that other dll?

There is an updated config tool and cnc-ddraw dll available through a little pack that FunkyFr3sh put together. I advise you to install that:

https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/8821-cc-1-tiberian-dawn-installation-on-windows-10/

Because ReShade needs Direct3D 9 or higher to add post-processing effects (such as CRT effect, sharpening and many others), which is why I'm using it.

Edited by brazzjazz

The version of cnc-ddraw included with the updated config tool allows you to use glsl shaders. The download even includes a few, of which are CRT shaders. It includes a DX9 renderer as well.

Edited by Tore
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tore said:

The version of cnc-ddraw included with the updated config tool allows you to use glsl shaders. The download even includes a few, of which are CRT shaders. It includes a DX9 renderer as well.

Sweet! In that case I won't be needing ReShade necessarily anymore. The only unsolved thing so far is perfect scaling though, as there is as far as I understand it no way to 1. have correct aspect ratio with 600p to 768p scaling, 2. a filter that scales the resolution in a way to be both sharp, pixely and without visible artifacts from the stretch... :-/ A linear filter combined with image sharpening would have achieved something like that.

On 14/08/2019 at 2:27 AM, Tore said:

Very nice! Now also ReShade loads! But how do I actually include new GLSL shaders? The CCConfigFull.exe does not give any advice on that.

And what scaling to you use? I haven't found a way to stretch from 600p to 768p without nasty artifacts. The best way would be to display everything in 2x2, 3x3 pixels and then apply high-quality downsampling. An LCD screen with a fixed (native) resolution does not smoothly scale like a CRT did back in the day, and even a filter applied without downsampling doesn't always give convincing results, after all it's vertical pixels times 1.28, with as little blur as possible and at the same time recognizably pixely... I've tried all options within CCConfigFull.exe, combined with 600p to 768p without satisfying results...

Edited by brazzjazz

Check ddraw.ini do note that you have some exe specific overrides at the bottom of the ini file.

2 hours ago, Tore said:

Check ddraw.ini do note that you have some exe specific overrides at the bottom of the ini file.

Ok, thanks, will check that out!