Sign in to follow this  
BruteForce

Red Alert 2 campaign not working

I followed all of the steps from the tech guide on how to get the old CD version of the game working on windows 10. I copied all of the files, downloaded the xwis, ect. The game launches and everything works until i try and access the campaign. The allied campaign says 'unable to read scenario' and when i click on the Soviet campaign, it will play through the first video and the game will close out before the interface comes on. I have gone through the RA2 directory file to ensure all the files are accounted for and they are all there. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what did you do to solve it. I will try to play Yuri's Revenge in the meantime.

Did you make sure you copied maps01.mix, maps02.mix and maps03md.mix in the game's directory and NOT a subfolder of some sort?

If you can see the attached image, this is what my folder looks like. The full destination address is; This PC>Documents>Red Alert 2.

RA2.jpg

Where is this tech guide you are referring to?

Have you tried downloading and installing the CnCNet online client to your game folder, it doesn't just install a new launcher (for online/LAM/Skirmish) but it also installs fixes that make Campaign work I believe.

Another suggestion I have is to uninstall the game and install it elsewhere - the Windows documents can behave slightly differently to normal folder and it might be worth a shot?

• Like 1

@BruteForce you've installed the game in your Documents folder, which may be the cause of the game application's inability to load certain files. Try installing in a folder that is neither Documents nor Program Files, since newer Windows systems are touchy with that.

@Whiteboy https://cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-red-alert-2/

• Like 1

I'm not very tech savy so my last question before i try the suggestions, which are highly appreciated, other than Program Files and Documents, where should i try putting the folder? Where do you all put yours?

Try a custom one, like C:\Games\Red Alert 2

Alright, so i created the new folder, uninstalled and then reinstalled the game. Yuri's Revenge works but when i click on RA2, it comes up with a black screen for a few minutes, then states failed to initiate, reinstall the program. Before the attempt to fix it, i was at least able to start the game to get to the main menu, but now i can't get that far. I also installed the CNCnet program to update both games to the current version. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

You'll need to run the CnCNet YR client to go to the options and choose a different graphics renderer, which will be applied to both RA2 and YR. Then exit the client and run both RA2 and YR as usual to see if it worked. Repeat until you find one that works best.

6 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

You'll need to run the CnCNet YR client to go to the options and choose a different graphics renderer, which will be applied to both RA2 and YR. Then exit the client and run both RA2 and YR as usual to see if it worked. Repeat until you find one that works best.

Yes! Thank you so much for your help. Not knowing any better, i was under the impression that the CNCNet YR client automatically fixed the issues from the games. I went in, adjusted the renderer, now the game is running smoother than ever. It even fixed an issue i was having with YR during campaign missions the game would suddenly stop working. Thanks again for all of your support.

• Upvote 1