PurpleGaga27

Does anyone feel that 2020 is the end of the world as we know it?

I think no one has discussed this here, but some people did in Discord and Reddit.

Australia wildfires, US vs Iran, Trump impeachment, Kobe RIP, Coronavirus (people still blame on China), unexpected climate change, now earthquakes. What's next? War? Invasion?

Even as of today, I still think Trump is part alien and a laughingstock because he still doesn't know how to handle government politics seriously. Well guess what, more US citizens are dying (including carnage) under his administration, possibly the most in any US president's history. About half of the world is in a shutdown. And if Coronavirus could kill over 10 million people globally if there's no vaccine, treatment or cure in time, Joseph Stalin would say it's just a statistic.

Only if you're dim enough not to see that none of this is new. Wars and major diseases have been part of human history since its inception.

Except the fact that no one has seen anything this dire since the 1918-1920 Spanish Flu. Technology has improved but to this day, it just not good and/or fast enough to get things done.

17 hours ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

more US citizens are dying (including carnage) under his administration, possibly the most in any US president's history.

Abraham Lincoln's administration saw the largest number of American deaths, mainly due to the civilwarovirus epidemic.

• Like 1

I loosely agree with the premise of the topic

for many of us the world is changing as we know it. though this has all happened before, I guarantee this is new experience for everyone on this forum

the world will recover, sure, but it will be different, I think

we will all have new perspective, and it might be a long while before things go back to normal

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/04/2020 at 9:08 AM, PurpleGaga27 said:

I think no one has discussed this here, but some people did in Discord and Reddit.

Australia wildfires, US vs Iran, Trump impeachment, Kobe RIP, Coronavirus (people still blame on China), unexpected climate change, now earthquakes. What's next? War? Invasion?

Even as of today, I still think Trump is part alien and a laughingstock because he still doesn't know how to handle government politics seriously. Well guess what, more US citizens are dying (including carnage) under his administration, possibly the most in any US president's history. About half of the world is in a shutdown. And if Coronavirus could kill over 10 million people globally if there's no vaccine, treatment or cure in time, Joseph Stalin would say it's just a statistic.

:')

Ahh, if the world economy fails, possibly WWIII will soon be aflamed, so goodluck there soldiers IRL

And many people are heading to the far right, so I guess they're building a wall and someone's gonna pay for it :haha:

Now the WHO is warning that the pandemic could be an endemic, just like HIV, unless things get under control and vaccines are working.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

It's nothing new.

And yet.... everything is just a little bit stranger.

And yes this will be endemic. It will be part of humanity's future. But it won't be as scary once there are vaccines and proven treatments. what's scarier, is the government overreach and total economic destruction that seems to be the goal of many in charge.

End of the world? Not really. This will be a temporary roadblock that will eventually pass. It's nothing compared to previous pandemics, at least in terms of deaths. Diseases happen. Some spread like wildfire like this one has but it will get to the point that most people are either immune or are tempered against it. It's why the 1918 flu, which was H1N1 by the way, hasn't come back to haunt us. A century's worth of exposure will do that. With the advent of vaccines, the pandemic can potentially be stopped in its tracks once an effective one is delivered.

On 15/05/2020 at 2:50 PM, Cygnus X-1 said:

And yes this will be endemic. It will be part of humanity's future. But it won't be as scary once there are vaccines and proven treatments. what's scarier, is the government overreach and total economic destruction that seems to be the goal of many in charge.

I'm not too sure about overreach as much as some are claiming. The quickest way to lose an argument is to overstate it and I think that's happened here. In fact, these are functionally identical measures that sprung from the 1918 flu pandemic. Admittedly, the economic shutdown is more drastic and somewhat unnecessary if people at large aren't fucking idiots. Unfortunately, we all know how absolutely moronic the public at large really is. Regardless, I don't see this stifling of the world's economy as being beneficial any longer. Unless something changes drastically, I don't see it actually getting all that much worse, even if we reopen.

That said, fuck the office. I can work from home until this shit isn't gonna fucking murder me. Let's hear it for being in the "increased risk" section of the population. Hooray for heart conditions (not).

• Like 1

Besides, the world won't have time to end with everyone playing the C&C remasters here in 3ish weeks :cnc:

54 minutes ago, LiamHarrison said:

It's the worst year of this century

By what metric?

On 12/12/2020 at 4:36 AM, LiamHarrison said:

It's the worst year of this century

Not quite. But WWIII may be on the horizon as well as unknown alien activity.

24 minutes ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

Not quite. But WWIII may be on the horizon as well as unknown alien activity.

WWIII is always on the horizon.... Yawn